Injury Report: 2017-18 thread: first of many

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Which only means we will lose some players who may blossom elsewhere when given a chance to show what they can do. In today's salary capped NHL you have to get production from young cheap players to be a serious competitor. When you refuse to give them a chance to work up from lesser roles you will always have your GM dumpster diving, hoping to get lucky. RC cannot be gone soon enough.

So I guess the promised evolution of RC didn't happen. Shocking development.

Oct 18, 2011
Hazy mentioned on the broadcast last night that RC doesn't care if the 4th line scores, he just wants them to "not be minus." I found that to be exactly what we observe, "safe" vets playing dump and chase. If so, explains why Terry won't play on the 4th.
That comment sums up RC well...he refuses to utilize his entire roster and develop any depth...that is a completely archaic view of the game

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Can Fowler sack up like Sami and hampus did

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
It's honestly blatant idiocy to want players to return from injuries before they're healed at this point. Don't forget our entire season was in jeopardy because of Kesler's injury and his slow return from it, something that he still hasn't completed. The ideal for this team would be to try to win as well as they can right now but without taking any unnecessary risks like rushing hurt guys back so that we don't blow the perhaps more realistic window that we have next season if we're healthy and Kesler/Eaves will have properly recovered by then. Take the risks that you need to win games now, because it's the playoffs and we're in it to win it all obviously, but not more than that.

Rush Fowler back, and if he aggravates his injury and gets long-term shoulder damage or a surgery that keeps him in rehab for 3/4 of the season and then what?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Shoulder injuries are usually about pain thresholds and for the most part don't get worse

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I don't want Fowler (or Gibson for that matter) rushing back before they are ready. Ducks did fine in playoffs last year without him and more Lindholm/Manson is never a bad thing.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Just to remind everyone Carlyle won a Stanley cup as the entire league was going soft with 3 heavyweights on the roster. It can be done
Ovechkin is playing and acceling with Tom Wilson on his line. Gaudreau plays with Fernando. I attribute Kase's success partly to Ritchie creating space and being there as somewhat protection. These are not heavyweights but shows for all the skill you still need tough players.

You fixate on this narrative too much. Carlyle deserves credit but he had, imo, the best roster in post cap era. Two great scoring lines, and an elite checking line. Never mind having 2 of the best 3 defenseman in the league. So yeah “it can be done” but you’re conveniently ignoring the things that really made that team great. I loved that team but if you think our team or even most teams can dress 3 pure enforcers and win; you’re being ignorant.

Also, those players you just mentioned are not pure enforcers. Fernando (I’m good with this being his new nickname) scored 20 goals this year. Wilson is also much better than a pure enforcer. Those are the type of players you want throughout your lineup so you don’t have to dress garbage like Boll. That’s why I’m praying Murray doesn’t get impatient and trade Ritchie. Even if he tops as a physical 3rd liner; there’s still a lot of value in those type of players.

Janka

Jan 5, 2009
Massachusetts
I figure now is as good a time as any to actually start posting instead of just lurking :)

Just my 2 cents, as an athletic trainer that's been in the business for a while (including several years with hockey teams). In very simplified terms, the two biggest factors in determining return to play following an injury is, 1) can they worsen their current injury to the point of long-term/devastating effects, and 2) can they protect themselves. Just going off of mechanism and the timeline the Ducks posted, Fowler's injury definitely looks like an AC sprain. While he could "gut it out" and play without a whole lot of (relative) risk to the actual current injury, the biggest issue I've come across with hockey players and AC sprains is that they do not have the range of motion or strength to protect themselves out there from additional injuries (incidentally, they are not all that effective, at that point, either).

I obviously can't speak for the Ducks' athletic training staff, but that's just been my experience.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I figure now is as good a time as any to actually start posting instead of just lurking :)

Just my 2 cents, as an athletic trainer that's been in the business for a while (including several years with hockey teams). In very simplified terms, the two biggest factors in determining return to play following an injury is, 1) can they worsen their current injury to the point of long-term/devastating effects, and 2) can they protect themselves. Just going off of mechanism and the timeline the Ducks posted, Fowler's injury definitely looks like an AC sprain. While he could "gut it out" and play without a whole lot of (relative) risk to the actual current injury, the biggest issue I've come across with hockey players and AC sprains is that they do not have the range of motion or strength to protect themselves out there from additional injuries (incidentally, they are not all that effective, at that point, either).

I obviously can't speak for the Ducks' athletic training staff, but that's just been my experience.

Welcome to the boards!

Also, thanks for the info :nod:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I read on twitter that Folwer was seen in a sling. Not that it is a surprise.

But hopefully he heals good and fast. I think it will still definitely bother him though :/

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Now thats how you make an enterence...
Welcome to the boards

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Thank you, my boyfriend thinks I'm a sick human being with how often I rewind/rewatch injuries. I figured maybe my over-analyses and speculations might be better appreciated here :wg:

I mean as long as your not bringing us bad news :)

Reactions: Janka

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Thank you, my boyfriend thinks I'm a sick human being with how often I rewind/rewatch injuries. I figured maybe my over-analyses and speculations might be better appreciated here :wg:
Nah, we need you here as the Ducks are very silent about their injuries :laugh:

Reactions: Janka

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Kesler potentially out for the entire season? Well, rumours are rumours so we'll have to wait and see. But if that happens? You can hear any resemblance of a window we had left slamming right shut. Jack Hughes here we come?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We missed far more than Kesler last year and when he returned was a shell of himself. We still made the playoffs at a high seed.

Losing him is not a death knell. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Boy, it sure looked like he shouldn't be playing last year.
If he did more damage coming back to try and help......

If he's out for the year, or worse....is he insured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad