Injury Report: 2017-18 thread: first of many

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I remember clearly even at the softest they had Lambert. This team is softer overall
Those days were pathetic because most of the league was tough unlike now
I think context is relevant here. We're about as soft as we've ever been, but then again, so has the league -- lots of other teams could say that they're icing the softest team in their franchise's history. Fighting is at an all-time low and the traditional enforcer role that was once a staple on every team is pretty much entirely obsolete. Small skill players are more plentiful than ever in a league that's becoming less about upper body strength and more about speed, and the trend is continuing to become more pronounced. The NHL that had Marty McSorley playing a regular shift on Gretzky's wing is gone. The NHL we have now has players like Johnny Gaudreau -- really small guys with little physicality or edge who can still light up the scoreboard.

The topic of which NHL is more entertaining to watch is a debate for another time, but as a matter of progress, the league is gravitating away from the days where the McSorleys and the Grimsons had a large role in a team's makeup. Teams that resist this change are simply leaving themselves behind.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I think context is relevant here. We're about as soft as we've ever been, but then again, so has the league -- lots of other teams could say that they're icing the softest team in their franchise's history. Fighting is at an all-time low and the traditional enforcer role that was once a staple on every team is pretty much entirely obsolete. Small skill players are more plentiful than ever in a league that's becoming less about upper body strength and more about speed, and the trend is continuing to become more pronounced. The NHL that had Marty McSorley playing a regular shift on Gretzky's wing is gone. The NHL we have now has players like Johnny Gaudreau -- really small guys with little physicality or edge who can still light up the scoreboard.

The topic of which NHL is more entertaining to watch is a debate for another time, but as a matter of progress, the league is gravitating away from the days where the McSorleys and the Grimsons had a large role in a team's makeup. Teams that resist this change are simply leaving themselves behind.
Just to remind everyone Carlyle won a Stanley cup as the entire league was going soft with 3 heavyweights on the roster. It can be done
Ovechkin is playing and acceling with Tom Wilson on his line. Gaudreau plays with Fernando. I attribute Kase's success partly to Ritchie creating space and being there as somewhat protection. These are not heavyweights but shows for all the skill you still need tough players.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Just to remind everyone Carlyle won a Stanley cup as the entire league was going soft with 3 heavyweights on the roster. It can be done
Ovechkin is playing and acceling with Tom Wilson on his line. Gaudreau plays with Fernando. I attribute Kase's success partly to Ritchie creating space and being there as somewhat protection. These are not heavyweights but shows for all the skill you still need tough players.
I fully support calling him Fernando from now on

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
While I don't see the need for a pure enforcer anymore (that guy would need to contribute elsewhere, as well), I do agree with the bolded. That Henrique line with Kase and Terry got manhandled. If they are going to play Terry in the last 2 games (no reason not to, and they need to rest some guys), there needs to be at least one tough player on his line.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ya, I noticed that on Kase`s last OT winner too. Ritchie has defenceman immediately on him so he doesn`t crush the net. Leaves Kase slightly more open.
As much as I am dissapointed in Ritchie`s production so far, he is doing stuff that doesn`t necessarily go on the game sheet.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It wouldn't have hurt to throw Terry on the 4th line with Grant. He'd get some experience and we might even have a 4th line that could pot a few. He certainly wouldn't have endangered the team making the playoffs. RC is joke.

Hazy mentioned on the broadcast last night that RC doesn't care if the 4th line scores, he just wants them to "not be minus." I found that to be exactly what we observe, "safe" vets playing dump and chase. If so, explains why Terry won't play on the 4th.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hazy mentioned on the broadcast last night that RC doesn't care if the 4th line scores, he just wants them to "not be minus." I found that to be exactly what we observe, "safe" vets playing dump and chase. If so, explains why Terry won't play on the 4th.
Exactly why RC is a f***ing joke. Playing borderline, aging vets on the 4th line guarantees nothing. Using someone like Terry with Grant gives you some feedback on Terry and allows him to ease into the league. The idea that playing Terry in that role is some kind of huge risk is a f***ing joke, much like the coach.

This team has no future until they get a new coach.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Exactly why RC is a ****ing joke. Playing borderline, aging vets on the 4th line guarantees nothing. Using someone like Terry with Grant gives you some feedback on Terry and allows him to ease into the league. The idea that playing Terry in that role is some kind of huge risk is a ****ing joke, much like the coach.

This team has no future until they get a new coach.

I think it's safe to say that the Ducks will never have a skill based 4th line under RC. So guys like Terry, Steel, Roy, Kossila will have to win a spot on top 3 lines in order to make the roster.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think it's safe to say that the Ducks will never have a skill based 4th line under RC. So guys like Terry, Steel, Roy, Kossila will have to win a spot on top 3 lines in order to make the roster.
Which only means we will lose some players who may blossom elsewhere when given a chance to show what they can do. In today's salary capped NHL you have to get production from young cheap players to be a serious competitor. When you refuse to give them a chance to work up from lesser roles you will always have your GM dumpster diving, hoping to get lucky. RC cannot be gone soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad