2017-18 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Any new updates on Callahan? How's his skating look?

I keep going back to this, but a 40-45 point season from Callahan could make a key difference for us. Obviously, I'm not holding my breath, but given the offense we got rid of (Drouin), Callahan's one of the guys who could lessen the sting.

I thought he looked great at the fan fest. Definitely put in the most pucks I saw anyone put it during the drills.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
[NHL2]c-52718303[/NHL2]
[NHL2]c-52755003[/NHL2]
[NHL2]c-52753903[/NHL2]
[NHL2]c-52743703[/NHL2]

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Any new updates on Callahan? How's his skating look?

I keep going back to this, but a 40-45 point season from Callahan could make a key difference for us. Obviously, I'm not holding my breath, but given the offense we got rid of (Drouin), Callahan's one of the guys who could lessen the sting.

I thought he looked great at the fan fest. Definitely put in the most pucks I saw anyone put it during the drills.

Agreed! Cally looked awesome at Fan Fest! His usual physical, scrappy, sticking-his-nose-in-everywhere-to-pursue-the-puck, 120% every shift self. Very smooth and agile skating. And, as FD said, some very nice shooting.

Heck, he looked like Prime Cally to me! And he was so dang happy to be on the ice scrimmaging with his teammates. While he was very focused during a play, afterwards he had the biggest grin on his face, especially when he and Kunitz made some scrappy good moves together. :D

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/lightning-reduce-training-camp-roster-by-six/c-291211120

First 6 cuts from camp:

Lipanov, Raddysh, Sosunov, and Christopher Paquette reassigned

Hancock & Raaymakers released from tryout

Well I was wrong about Raddysh. I didn't see the cuts and thought he was still around and had a chance for a 2/3RW spot. Katchouk most likely goes down after tonight bit he did get 1 more game than Raddysh, he does play the kind of game Cooper likes which might male sense to why he was kept around longer?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
RIP big comrade Sosunov.

Was bolts best dman in 1st preseason game.

I'm starting to get a bit hyped.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Somehow I was thinking Hajek was headed for the A this year. Seems like forever ago we made that trade.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Maybe Masin the year before.

Masin could've because he was drafted out of Europe. He was injured at the end of the year his draft +1 season and don't think he was healthy at development camp that year. He went back to Peterborough because it was best for his development.

Foote can go next year because he turns 20 before the end of December next year, similar to DeAngelo.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I feel like there's no way we keep 8 D. I know I'm hard on Sustr but God almighty it's time to give someone else a chance. It's been Hedman, Stralman Garrison (now since replaced by Girardi), Coburn and Sustr since 2014. At this point I feel like Cooper is gonna roll with Sustr because he has more NHL experience than any of Dotchin, Koekkoek and Sergachev but I have been sorely disappointed. Dotchin was solid if not very good with Hedman last year and he provides a sorely needed flexibility for Stralman. Koekkoek has been cooking in the minors and juniors for no less than a year too long and NEEDS to get a chance. Otherwise trade him. Now Yzerman has traded for the guy who was arguably last year's best defensive prospect and is far and is arguably the best we've had since probably Hedman in Sergachev.

I really think Sergachev gets told to bite the bullet another year and he gets furious. Final lineup ends up being

Hedman-Dotchin -> Coop isn't gonna mess up what works...... is he?
Coburn-Girardi -> perhaps Coburn moves over to the left?
Koekkoek-Stralman -> Give Koekkoek a safe vet to work with
Sustr -> rotates between defensive pairings

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
No one's going to be "furious" if Sergachev is sent down. If KK either outplays or plays "equivalent" to Sergachev, it's fine. KK playing well gives us an extra 2nd round pick. I just don't have a lot of faith in that being the outcome.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
No one's going to be "furious" if Sergachev is sent down. If KK either outplays or plays "equivalent" to Sergachev, it's fine. KK playing well gives us an extra 2nd round pick. I just don't have a lot of faith in that being the outcome.

I typoed I need to fix it. Good catch

*shrug*

Seems like almost anything is possible. A real curve ball would be Dotchin going back down

Last edited:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Many regulars will be playing tonight including Stammer, Hedman and Kuch, so that should be fun.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not sure how much effort some of the regs will put in, but I'll be really curious to hear how Callahan's skating looks. If he can get back up to "above average" speed, I'll be hopeful he can be effective in a middle six role, rather than just a Do No Harm body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad