Speculation: 2017-18 Sharks roster discussion III - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Assuming we sign Kane at 6 x 6 and Hertl to 5 x 5, Tierney for 2.5-3 bridge, we could bring Tavares in at 11 x 7 without having to do much cap clearing issues (buy out Martin, trade Karlsson for pucks). If we could get Tavares for that, we absolutely should (I expect he will exceed 12 per). With a bit more creative accounting, we likely could bring him in at 12.5 (but would need to deal Boedkker for sure).

Hertl does not deserve that kind of contract yet. Literally has hit 40 pts once and has durability concerns. We all know he can be very good when he’s on but he just isn’t consistent enough yet. If he keeps playing the way he has been for the remainder of the year then I don’t see DW giving him 5x5.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
You’re giving DeBoer waaaay too much credit if you think this team would be in lottery position without him?

I don't think so. But you're misunderstanding. My comment was in direct response to the post I quoted. It seems like you responded to my post in a vacuum without the context of what inspired it. I'm certainly not saying he doesn't deserve criticism. I'm totally with you and others in being baffled at the benching of Heed and the love for Karlsson.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
When Jones went down, the team was mediocre. In reality, the team is mediocre with Jumbo out too. 11-9-2 is not what I'd call amazing since Jumbo went down. There's really only a handful of coaches that would've taken this team into a lottery position with the talent that's on it. Most coaches in this league would likely have not performed any different than DeBoer here.

I believe history disagrees with you. Maybe lottery was a little over the top but certainly not in playoff position. Every season there are a number of good teams taken down by major injury and an ill advised youth infusion. Meier, LeBanc, Tierny, Ryan, Goodrow, Sorenson and to some degree Dell are all playing more prominent roles than they did last season. That's integrating a lot of young players. You only countered Jumbos injury when Jones injury and lingering effects likely had a larger impact on the win loss column. Oct and Nov he was vezina quality and the sharks challenging for #1 in GAA then he got hurt and started giving up what seemed like 4 a game for a couple months.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
You're underrating the rest of the team. You can look at the Sharks team without Thornton, and with Dell as the starter, and compare them to every lottery team.

Lottery team may have been too strong a term, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. I don't think they're a playoff team with many other coaches considering their circumstances.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I believe history disagrees with you. Maybe lottery was a little over the top but certainly not in playoff position. Every season there are a number of good teams taken down by major injury and an ill advised youth infusion. Meier, LeBanc, Tierny, Ryan, Goodrow, Sorenson and to some degree Dell are all playing more prominent roles than they did last season. That's integrating a lot of young players. You only countered Jumbos injury when Jones injury and lingering effects likely had a larger impact on the win loss column. Oct and Nov he was vezina quality and the sharks challenging for #1 in GAA then he got hurt and started giving up what seemed like 4 a game for a couple months.

What do you think a coach can do differently in the same situation that DeBoer has been in? He only has so many lineup options and he's only going to be given so many personnel options by the GM. DeBoer isn't doing anything that's different than what anyone else in the same situation would do. I agree that there are some coaches that would have that happen to them but there are a lot more good coaches in this league than people may credit them for. DeBoer is a good coach on the whole of it but he isn't a standout among his peers.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What do you think a coach can do differently in the same situation that DeBoer has been in?

More games with short bench, overplaying vets, or the other way, playing young guys that aren't ready too much. Also his system has allowed them to play just good enough to minimize their weaknesses. Look at how well McLellan is doing with McJesus and Drisiatal (however it's spelled). No way that team should be 18 points out of the playoffs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
More games with short bench, overplaying vets, or the other way, playing young guys that aren't ready too much. Also his system has allowed them to play just good enough to minimize their weaknesses. Look at how well McLellan is doing with McJesus and Drisiatal (however it's spelled). No way that team should be 18 points out of the playoffs.

Most coaches aren't going to play more games with a short bench during this stretch of the season. Most coaches will move the pieces around to replace the player lost but will still more or less continue how they ice them save for an exception now and then. As for Edmonton, the Oilers aren't really having a bad year because of McLellan's coaching decisions. He's pretty limited there with that abysmal level of talent around McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins. That blue line is atrocious. Not only is it lacking high end talent, it's lacking just any average level of offensive talent. They had three wingers last year who scored 20 goals. Nobody this year on the wing is going to do that this year. That's not even mostly coaching. The only reason the Oilers made the playoffs last year was because Talbot had a damn good year. This year, the lack of defensive ability is catching up to them. Their situation is significantly more on Chiarelli and his shoddy way of building teams than McLellan's coaching style although I'm sure he'll get canned for it anyway. Their power play numbers is something I definitely pin on him and would fire him just for that but everything else is pretty much on Chiarelli.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Hertl does not deserve that kind of contract yet. Literally has hit 40 pts once and has durability concerns. We all know he can be very good when he’s on but he just isn’t consistent enough yet. If he keeps playing the way he has been for the remainder of the year then I don’t see DW giving him 5x5.

Maybe. Given where cap is going and Hertl's age, I can see them buying a couple of his Ufa years with a 5 x 5.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Edmonton is hot garbage outside a few. Injuries, but mostly a team with no skill.
McLeeloo and Co. have run their course.
Id expect the axe to fall, since the GM should go but wont, heads will roll.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
After tonight signing Kane should be a given. He is such a great fit with us.

Will depend on his playoff performance and what sort of money he's looking at. Giving him more than six would be tough while having to give up a 1st.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kurz never fails to entertain

I actually agree with what he wrote. What I don't get is why they don't play Heed at all. After all I think he played very well when he got the chance and probably would be a better option against faster, skilled teams. You never know. Sharks may play such a team at some point during the playoffs. Would be nice to have Heed as an option. He'll be there but with very little NHL action under his belt. Surely not ideal. You need depth and options. It's why they should also take a look at Balcers. Very little to lose if they give him 2-3 games over Karlsson.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hes only 26, 6Mx6 wouldn't be crazy

I'll judge after the playoffs but given the fact that a 1st rounder is at stake, I'd want a discount compared to Free Agency and wouldn't offer more than 5x6.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
I actually agree with what he wrote. What I don't get is why they don't play Heed at all. After all I think he played very well when he got the chance and probably would be a better option against faster, skilled teams. You never know. Sharks may play such a team at some point during the playoffs. Would be nice to have Heed as an option. He'll be there but with very little NHL action under his belt. Surely not ideal. You need depth and options. It's why they should also take a look at Balcers. Very little to lose if they give him 2-3 games over Karlsson.

I agree. It's unlikely but it'd be ideal to clinch with 1 or 2 games remeaining for guys like Heed, Martin, Hansen and Balcers to get some NHL minutes before the playoffs.

I loved DeBoer letting the 4th line eat those 3rd period minutes last night - it'll come in handy should we need to use Hansen regularly in the playoffs.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I'll judge after the playoffs but given the fact that a 1st rounder is at stake, I'd want a discount compared to Free Agency and wouldn't offer more than 5x6.

I mean thats only a million off what I said, the cap might go up 4M next season AND he's 26. That fits in the Timo/Hertl core just fine. The Sharks might have like 20M in space and if they don't land JT then whats the point of all the space.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree. It's unlikely but it'd be ideal to clinch with 1 or 2 games remeaining for guys like Heed, Martin, Hansen and Balcers to get some NHL minutes before the playoffs.

I loved DeBoer letting the 4th line eat those 3rd period minutes last night - it'll come in handy should we need to use Hansen regularly in the playoffs.

Gotta play them now. If you want them to be playoff options then you gotta play them in important games and in key situations. May not be the case for vets like Martin or Hansen but for Heed and certainly Balcers.

What if the Sharks are down in a Series against a skilled team? Will they ask Karlsson, Fehr, DeMelo or Dillon to put up points? What if there are injuries?

You need depth. Sharks looked flat at times and they also had some terrible stretches. Yet DeBoer never changed his lineup. In back to back situations like the one now it would make sense to insert a pair of fresh legs.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If we get Tavares and Kane we would be insane. Another two things I could see is (mainly just to get cap space) trading Dillon for a cheaper third D, packaging Braun+Labanc for a better/younger top 4 D, somehow getting rid of Boedker and Martin, getting rid of Karlsson

Couture-Tavares-Meier
Kane-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Tierney-Donskoi
Sorenson-Goodrow-don’t really care

Vlasic-Braun/new top 4
Ryan-Burns
UFA(we could find someone cheap)-Heed/DeMelo

Jones Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events