Speculation: 2017-18 Sharks roster discussion III - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Here you go cherry picking away again. Now you're comparing Kanes 6 or 7 years with mostly ****ty teams where he apparently had problems with teammates to Meiers 2nd half of the season when he played in the top 6 with what is likely better linemates in a much better atmosphere. Also your contention about Kane taking lots of shots so "he's not a sniper". Pretty sure that's your word. Some of us touted him only as a goal scorer. His even strength goal scoring support that premise. Generating lots of shots is frankly a great trait to have. It increases the chances of scoring for himself as well as line mates thru rebounds most of the time. Isn't a large part of the advance stat thing based on that premise? Let's see how his shot selection goes when getting more coaching from the staff that got Meier to apparently change his selection. It's fine if you don't want them to sign him and if you don't like him for whatever reason. I see a player whose best seasons are still ahead of him if put in the right situation which can be SJ. I think his stats will also likely take a huge jump if he re-signs due to his time with the Sharks personnel on the power play. All we've seen is a cup of coffee. If he gets a training camp to really meld with the system and team I think he can excell in SJ.

Yea I agree. I think Kane will regularly be a 30-35 goal scorer on the Sharks. His point totals I'm not sure of but I could see him being in the 60-65 range. All depends on health.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I knew you’d say something about “cherry-picking” Meier’s stats, as though a 21 year old taking a huge step forward in his development isn’t a note-worthy cutoff point.

I also never said the word “sniper”. I said Kane is not a “finisher”. When a player is called a “good finisher”, that would imply that they finish on a higher percentages of their scoring opportunities than the average player. Kane does not do that. I also never said there was anything wrong with volume shooters; I just said that Kane is not a finisher, specifically because someone else claimed he was. Kane is also not a 21 year old in his second ever NHL season. You cannot expect Kane to change his game as drastically as a young, malleable, developing player like Meier. You don’t sign a player for $7M and say, “hey, could you please drastically change your defining feature?”. Additionally, Kane is garbo on the PP and has been his entire career. He didn’t score a single PP point with us despite getting a lot of time on the first unit.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I don’t see any of the potential you do.

Kane scored 2 PP goals in the playoffs, I do agree though that Kane's strength is not on the PP.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
If not Kane who does everyone want? Without him the Sharks should have what 12M (I didn't look) in space after resigning Hertl and company. Id rather use the space on Kane than not use it at all. And if we have the space there isn't a lot of difference in him signing for 6M or 7M haha

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If not Kane who does everyone want? Without him the Sharks should have what 12M (I didn't look) in space after resigning Hertl and company. Id rather use the space on Kane than not use it at all. And if we have the space there isn't a lot of difference in him signing for 6M or 7M haha
Tavares

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If you dont sign Kane and fail to sign Tavares you stack the D as best you can and let that feed the offense.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He was on the 2nd unit for most of all the last 10 games. I think I posted at least once in every game "Kane needs to be on the 1st unit".

Kane was on the 1st unit for a while and he was significantly less effective than Hertl in that 1st unit garbage man PP position.

Kane got handed 1st unit PP time immediately when he got here and 1st line LW time immediately when he got here. He had to be absolutely terrible for like 10 games straight on the PP to lose his spot and somehow 10 straight poor games at top line LW didn’t cost him his spot for game 6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad