2017-18 roster talk: the 8th Wonder of the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
In the end, Hextall has tried to rebuild thru the draft but without tanking. Hence why we have been a playoff tweener, all while building up the best prospect pool in the league.

The downfall to that is that we have not added those high end forwards that come from the top of the draft. Maybe we get lucky with Patrick.

And if our young D keeps developing, 1 likely gets moved at some point for a forward too. I am most intrigued at what they do with Simmonds. He could get a haul back in a trade to a contender. If Schenn was traded because we are rebuilding, why not Simmonds too? Does that mean they look to re-sign him instead. Time will tell. At least he has made himself more valuable in recent years by now being a good pker too.

I think part of the Schenn trade was making room for a Simmonds extension which could be signed as early as 7/1/18.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If Simmer would do a 4 year, $24 million deal I would re-sign him. I think he can be a 25 goal scorer into his mid 30s while bringing all the other things he does. Anymore and I would have to let him walk.

I am torn.

Re-signing him blocks every RW we have in the system. So do you give your 3rd best RW(Konecny is going to pass him imo) a 6 million dollar contract?

Or do you trade him, get a great haul, and funnel that money toward Konecny on a long term deal instead. And then look to replace that 3rd line RW from within.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Maybe, but you can't say that for sure. Every team would probably be worried about him declining, just like the Flyers were. And Hextall always planned on buying out Umberger... we knew that as soon as the trade was made.

Rebuilding isn't the same as tanking. He wanted the team to be good and draft/develop youth at the same time.
Forsure I just think we should have tried pick higher for these years that's all.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Forsure I just think we should have tried pick higher for these years that's all.

In fairness, look at the last 3 years:

Patrick #2 got lucky
Rubstov #22...traded down....but made the playoffs
Provy #7 McDavid a given...but next is Eichel/Marner....would you rather them than Provy?

So really, it's only 2016(Rubstov) where we could have come out with a much better player than we did. And we had 96 points that year. To get down to say a top 7 pick, we would have had to drop to 81 points or worse.

Reactions: Curufinwe

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
In fairness, look at the last 3 years:

Patrick #2 got lucky
Rubstov #22...traded down....but made the playoffs
Provy #7 McDavid a given...but next is Eichel/Marner....would you rather them than Provy?

So really, it's only 2016(Rubstov) where we could have come out with a much better player than we did. And we had 96 points that year. To get down to say a top 7 pick, we would have had to drop to 81 points or worse.
True I forgot about Provy LOL.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
True I forgot about Provy LOL.

Ok...that kind of comment could get you on my ignore list.

:laugh:

But yeah, when you really look at those 3 years, 2 out of 3 we really got like a top 4 pick. That's pretty good when you are still trying to ice a playoff team.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Ok...that kind of comment could get you on my ignore list.

:laugh:

But yeah, when you really look at those 3 years, 2 out of 3 we really got like a top 4 pick. That's pretty good when you are still trying to ice a playoff team.
There's just something with Hexy and his trades like the Schenn trade I don't like. I wanna see the first trade he makes like adding a Duchene or someone like that and what he gives.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's just something with Hexy and his trades like the Schenn trade I don't like. I wanna see the first trade he makes like adding a Duchene or someone like that and what he gives.
I wouldn't count on that happening any time soon. Hard to imagine him making a big trade like that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Well you are right in that his trades, he gets a player back. I think in Gudas and Flip, he wanted them. Lehtera was more a cap dump and I believe Hextall got the 2nd 1st rounder for taking him.

But we do have to remember, that in Hextall doing those deals, we had a weak bottom 6 and poor defense. So he was doing the trades which helped the rebuild, but also could help the team now at the same time.

But we are soon now at the time when we don't need players coming back. The prospect pool is now starting to get older so we have guys from within who can take guys places. Like trading Flip at the deadline for example...Vorobyev or Vecch can be his replacement.

And I do think at some point we will do the reverse trade where we thin the prospect pool a bit by trying to add an impact forward. I don't think it's Duchene as I think it's too early for that. But it could be the next wave of guys who come available or the next teams looking to re-build and we have the prospects/picks to withstand losing a few.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't see Hextall adding a top player near UFA.
A younger talented player approaching his RFA year is another story b/c a reasonable extension can be negotiated. Or an older player with a couple years left on his contract who fills a specific need.
But Hextall will probably avoid long-term high money extensions into a player's mid-30s from now on.
The only exception might be Simmons b/c he'll age well, but I don't see a 6x6 type deal in his future in Philly.

If you keep the pipeline full, you can have a team full of players in their peak years on their RFA contracts, and trade or let them walk at the end of those contracts.
Then plug in another player you've been marinating for a couple years in the AHL. :naughty:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, I'd be really interested to see Hextall as a buyer. It's easy to be a seller and get contending teams to overpay, but making smart trades as a buyer is more risky.
Only when he's made a few trades as a buyer we really know what Hextall's made of.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The fact that he doesn't make those types of trades shows us what Hextall's made of.

When you have the prospect pool we have there's no need to make a big trade like that. We're adding lots of talent and we also need to remember that we'll need cap space in the near-mid future for their non-ELC contracts.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Hextall as a buyer will be very conservative, he doesn't seem like a guy who'd fall for the "quick fix" syndrome.
I really think his goal is to build a great team, one with talent and depth, and he's willing to take an extra year to get there.
And I think he sees building a team is like playing chess, every move impacts each piece 4-5 moves in the future.

So for example, drafting Patrick allows him to trade Schenn, move Konency to RW, move Giroux to LW to replace Konency, showcase Filppula at center while grooming Vorobyev/MV to replace him if needed, and setting the stage for Rubtsov and Frost to compete for a top 9 center job the next 2-3 years.

If he trades FOR a player it'll be that sort of move where he knows the player he wants, the role he wants him to fill, the players who will be shifted to accomodate him and the players he doesn't see as future pieces on his Flyer chessboard who will be included in the trade. And if he can't make ALL of it work together, he won't pull the trigger.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
At some point you have to make a big trade. They all do. Blackhawks, Kings, Lightning,... they all had/have a great prospect pool and they've all made big trades, because there's always at least one piece missing.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The fact that he doesn't make those types of trades shows us what Hextall's made of.

When you have the prospect pool we have there's no need to make a big trade like that. We're adding lots of talent and we also need to remember that we'll need cap space in the near-mid future for their non-ELC contracts.
If this team is rolling by the deadline Hexy owes it to the vets to add to try win. If losing again the core should come to a end.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
At some point you have to make a big trade. They all do. Blackhawks, Kings, Lightning,... they all had/have a great prospect pool and they've all made big trades, because there's always at least one piece missing.
This is correct. Duchene would make this team faster and better right now with the horses to make it happen but it's not time yet.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think with Hextall it's more about serendipity than need.
He knows what he wants, and if the right opportunity presents itself, to get that player by giving up players he values less, he'll pull the trigger.
But I don't see him reaching to get "that one player" to put them over the top because I don't think that's the way Hextall thinks.
My impression is that he sees this as a continual process (yes, trust the process!) of incremental improvement, where you don't try to rush things.

The one thing that stands out in his deals is his ability to leverage each deal into garnering a little more value, get the other GM to throw in a 3rd rd pick, etc. Value seems very important to Hextall (as it did to Hinkie) which may reflect a fundamental humility, he knows that it's luck as much as skill, and the more lottery tickets the better.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This is correct. Duchene would make this team faster and better right now with the horses to make it happen but it's not time yet.

Honestly....even if we are playing well, do you see our defense and goaltending as good enough to win a cup?

Duchene is a guy who a try contender should add to try and win now. Whereas we are a tweener so adding him still leaves us short in other spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad