2017-18 roster talk: the 8th Wonder of the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Right but the Flyers have 15.7 million in cap space for next season with no one to resign to big money. Add Lehtera money and a MacDonald buy out to that mix the following season when Doughty needs to be resigned. MacDonald's buy out alone should about cover Provorovs extension salary increase. Plus there would likely be salary going back to LA, and IMO a trade would probably include Ghost'so that's more salary off the books.

The Flyers are going to be replacing big contracts with elcs for the next few years. As long as the first power play is dominated with vets, none of the 2nd contracts will be that large because it isn't likely the forwards will put up huge points enough to get huge extensions. They can be kept on bridge deals. A two year bridge deal for Patrick coincides with Giroux contract ending. The 2nd contracts for defensemen league wide has been very reasonable and are usually long enough where Voracek and Simmonds will be gone by then.

Patrick will have to be pretty disappointing by 2nd overall pick standards to only get a bridge deal.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lmao, no, they're not. Of course most players have settled into their preferred positions and aren't likely to move around, but if Voracek and Giroux, for example, decided they wanted to flip wings, they could decide to do it and just tell Hakstol that's what they're doing, no different than Hagg and Ghost. There's this weird assumption that players are locked into RW/LW or RD/LD positions, but that's not really how it works. Sure, if there's an imbalance of righties and lefties, that might be a factor, but if you and your linemate both want to flip sides, I highly, highly doubt the coach will step in and veto. It's just, most players are already playing their preferred side, so it's not really an issue.

Umberger and Read decided to swap wings a few years ago back when they were on the 3rd line under Berube.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Lmao yes they are.

I'm sure if Giroux said to Hakstol that he isn't comfortable playing LW or that he thinks he would be help this team a lot more if he was at center, he would be a center right now. Non-rookie roster players have power.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I am torn.

Re-signing him blocks every RW we have in the system. So do you give your 3rd best RW(Konecny is going to pass him imo) a 6 million dollar contract?

Or do you trade him, get a great haul, and funnel that money toward Konecny on a long term deal instead. And then look to replace that 3rd line RW from within.

Very good points, and I would absolutely do the latter.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Coachs assign positions. Players can suggest switches but its the coach that has final say. They arent going to just randomly line up a different position prior to discussing it with the coach.

Ghost asking Hagg to switch with him doesnt mean it wasnt discuss with Haktard afterwards though.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Talk about Simmonds blocking players on our depth chart is premature at best. At one point Coyotes had the best d prospect pool in the league and they offered Yandle for JVR. Prospects don't always pan out and with Gormley, Rundblad, Stone or Murphy Arizona learned that the hard way. Heck Avalanche let Stastny walk because they had Duchene, O'Money and young stud in MacKinnon down the middle and still it didn't work out.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Talk about Simmonds blocking players on our depth chart is premature at best. At one point Coyotes had the best d prospect pool in the league and they offered Yandle for JVR. Prospects don't always pan out and with Gormley, Rundblad, Stone or Murphy Arizona learned that the hard way. Heck Avalanche let Stastny walk because they had Duchene, O'Money and young stud in MacKinnon down the middle and still it didn't work out.

But when you are deciding whether or not to offer that new contract to Simmer, you have to roll the dice one way or the other - you have to evaluate the youngsters and make a call on what you think they will be. Of course there are no guarantees, but if you wait too long, you'll just end up spinning your wheels and never get anywhere. It's not that I disagree with you necessarily, because I'm very much in favor of not trading any D (except the garbage) until we know what we have. But at some point we have to trust the guys that we are investing all this development time in, and part of that trust is in the long-term planning stage. That's how I'm seeing this, anyway.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Simmonds is replaceable at ES. He just is. He's become a wonderful PK/late game option, but that's a cherry on top, not make or break.

His value comes down to being THE best PP net front presence in the league.

Now, I think they re-sign him because of his intangibles (yes, 30 goals is hard to lose, though they didn't blink giving up Schenn's 25), but the PP role is the essential thing for GM Magua. We just so happen to have a pretty money in the bank young, RH shooter with size on our team who sure looks good as the net front player on PP2 in this early sample -- and who you really want to get on PP1 sooner than later and not get blocked for the foreseeable future.

But as I said, I expect him to get re-signed for 5-6 years. We all love Wayne, and there's nothing to indicate at the moment he has to break down on cue for most of the contract, though that's always a risk. But money that could be spent elsewhere to keep kids in their primes, while opening up a bigger role for Patrick, while acquiring a heck of an asset in a trade is how I attack it. That's not the safe play though, especially after already trading Schenn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad