2017-18 Roster Talk: Part Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'd actually be really sad if the Read we saw last night was what he can be going forward.

I wouldn't mind a cheap re-sign just to have him for PK duties but we just have too much filth elsewhere to justify it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You should check out the cap penalties CBJ are paying for Hartnell.

Neuvirth is going to finish the season with the best SV% of all four Flyers goalies.

Reactions: Tripod

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That’s your opinion and I respect that but I don’t think we need too much of a sample to say he’s not going to be much at this level. I’ve been saying for a couple years now that he’s nothing more than a depth guy. I don’t really have a problem with him being in the NHL this year, but it amazes me that he was gifted a top 4 spot from the jump and with the exception of a game or two, he’s remained there throughout his rookie season. They just see through every flaw, and he has plenty of them. There’s a double standard for other players.

If I were the Flyers, I’d sell “high” on him and trade his rights in the summer to one of the dinosaurs that still value hits and plus/minus. He’s young and still has name recognition, I’m sure they could get a 2nd and another another mid round pick or two for him. Maybe even swap him for a young forward buried on the depth chart. Unfortunately I think the Flyers are one of the dinosaurs that value physical play and plus/minus.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not a double standard, they never saw him as a top 4 guy, Gudas got suspended, Sanheim couldn't handle NHL pressure, so he got thrust into a role that was a bit past his abilities, as if Gudas as a rookie (when he was as bad or worse than Hagg) was asked to do that in TB.

He's been playing 15-16 minutes on the 3rd line and he's a work in progress like any young defenseman, some step up, some step out.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's not a double standard, they never saw him as a top 4 guy, Gudas got suspended, Sanheim couldn't handle NHL pressure, so he got thrust into a role that was a bit past his abilities, as if Gudas as a rookie (when he was as bad or worse than Hagg) was asked to do that in TB.

He's been playing 15-16 minutes on the 3rd line and he's a work in progress like any young defenseman, some step up, some step out.
Should we just ignore that he was put up with Provy for awhile? And that he has played over 18 minutes a game for the season?

Last 14 games, with no injuries going on, 4 games under 16 minutes, 10 games with over 17 minutes.

Last edited:

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Let Filp, Read, and Manning walk. Then we really need Hexy to get rid of his slip contracts. Trade Lehtera and Weise for anything even if we have to restrain salary, just don’t take back any bad contracts. I honestly would trade a mid round pick and MacDonald to get rid of his contract. Or even attach Leier to him for a team that needs 4th line help. And give Neuvirth away for free if possible since he can’t stay healthy. Hextall needs to get rid of the garabage so Hakstol or the next coach can’t be tempted to play them. Retaining half those players salaries to not play for us is better than paying them to play for us

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
That’s your opinion and I respect that but I don’t think we need too much of a sample to say he’s not going to be much at this level. I’ve been saying for a couple years now that he’s nothing more than a depth guy. I don’t really have a problem with him being in the NHL this year, but it amazes me that he was gifted a top 4 spot from the jump and with the exception of a game or two, he’s remained there throughout his rookie season. They just see through every flaw, and he has plenty of them. There’s a double standard for other players.

If I were the Flyers, I’d sell “high” on him and trade his rights in the summer to one of the dinosaurs that still value hits and plus/minus. He’s young and still has name recognition, I’m sure they could get a 2nd and another another mid round pick or two for him. Maybe even swap him for a young forward buried on the depth chart. Unfortunately I think the Flyers are one of the dinosaurs that value physical play and plus/minus.
Hagg would be a great piece to move after this season especially with Morin there to pretty much do everything he can do with a higher upside. But as you said, the Flyers, at least with Hakstol as coach, overvalue his type of skill set. It’s why I question whether or not there is a future here with Sanheim. They don’t seem to value what he can do. There will always be a level of risk to his game that I don’t think they will want to live with. Hopefully I am wrong.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hagg would be a great piece to move after this season especially with Morin there to pretty much do everything he can do with a higher upside. But as you said, the Flyers, at least with Hakstol as coach, overvalue his type of skill set. It’s why I question whether or not there is a future here with Sanheim. They don’t seem to value what he can do. There will always be a level of risk to his game that I don’t think they will want to live with. Hopefully I am wrong.
Well Sanheim might not have too many fans on the coaching staff, but I think Hextall is a fan and that is all that really matters.

You don't want long losing streaks, but hopefully it's a wake up call that you need guys on the backend that can make plays with the puck.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hakstol has praised Sanheim, everyone in the organization likes him, but that doesn't mean they're going to rush him to placate fans.

Hagg has one quality this season that Morin lacks, durability. No one one a job from the trainer's table.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Neuvirth could play 50+ games a year he'd be a top ten goalie.
Of course, if pigs had wings they could fly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hakstol has praised Sanheim, everyone in the organization likes him, but that doesn't mean they're going to rush him to placate fans.

Hagg has one quality this season that Morin lacks, durability. No one one a job from the trainer's table.
Again...lies.

Hagg named to the team after training camp, but they didn't name Morin. They already made their choice BEFORE any injuries occured.

Last edited:

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

If I recall from the beach photos, Hagg is built like a goddamn tank.

edit:

flyers5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad