Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 7

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Delicate balance between rested and rusty, I think.
This is true. Remember last year? One of the main reasons we missed the playoffs was poor goaltending in the first half of the season when we were going with the 1A, 1B strategy with Bish and Vasy. Neither played well. Then when Bish left and Vasi got all the starts he got hot and the team went on a streak and almost made the playoffs. There’s a fine line between overplayed and underused.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point and Johnson worked really well together. Callahan and Kunitz work well as a checking unit. Cirelli and Erne, so far. And obviously Stamkos and Kucherov. We could build off those pairs. 3/4 of them anyway (the kids being the odd one out.) And then we have a number of complementary players to put on the open wing. Like:

Killorn-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Erne-Cirelli-Gourde
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan

Or something. I think those first two lines would dominate. Probably gets us the most we can hope for out of Killorn too.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Point and Johnson worked really well together. Callahan and Kunitz work well as a checking unit. Cirelli and Erne, so far. And obviously Stamkos and Kucherov. We could build off those pairs. 3/4 of them anyway (the kids being the odd one out.) And then we have a number of complementary players to put on the open wing. Like:

Killorn-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Erne-Cirelli-Gourde
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan

Or something. I think those first two lines would dominate. Probably gets us the most we can hope for out of Killorn too.

Gourde - Cirelli - Miller would be interesting and aggressive as hell.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Killorn-Stamkos-Kucherov
Gourde-Point-Miller
Palat-Johnson-Callahan
Kunitz-Cirelli-Erne

That's what I'd do.
I think I'd move Killorn to the third and slot Miller and Palat up one. Miller's about as gritty as Killer but seems like he's got a tad more flair to his game,

And I felt like Palat-Point-Gourde was our toughest line to play against for most of the year. They really looked like the kind of line that teams are going to struggle to find an answer for, and the kind of line that just wears a defense down over the course of series.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Killorn-Stamkos-Kucherov
Gourde-Point-Johnson
Palat-Cirelli-Miller
Kunitz-Erne-Callahan

Wouldn’t be at all scared to throw Conacher in there somewhere. His hard working style is just what we’ll need in the playoffs.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Killorn Stamkos Kucherov
Gourde Point Miller
Palat Johnson Conacher
Kunitz Cirelli Callahan

I know Paquette has the experience and Cirelli is better suited for Syracuse if he’s in a 4th line role but I can’t leave him off our roster. Hard working player could fit anywhere in the lineup and has the depth scoring that any team needs in the playoffs. We could always slot Paquette back in there if Cirelli isn’t transitioning into playoff hockey.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Killorn Stamkos Kucherov
Gourde Point Miller
Palat Johnson Conacher
Kunitz Cirelli Callahan

I know Paquette has the experience and Cirelli is better suited for Syracuse if he’s in a 4th line role but I can’t leave him off our roster. Hard working player could fit anywhere in the lineup and has the depth scoring that any team needs in the playoffs. We could always slot Paquette back in there if Cirelli isn’t transitioning into playoff hockey.
Yeah I like these lines better. I think lol. I really do like that 3rd line though.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Cirelli-Gourde
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan

I like Miller's long passes. I think he's best slotted up top.

Reactions: Todd1a

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Cirelli-Gourde
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan

Our forward group is so stacked and we still got prospects coming in the next two years

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Cirelli-Gourde
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan

My lineup as well, I want Palat-Point-Johnson back together I think Gourde carries a line well on his own, moreso than Johnson at this point where as Johnson has high upside next to Point. Erne can go in for Paquette on rotation for:

Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Gourde-Erne
Kunitz-Cirelli-Callahan

DEEP

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
My lineup as well, I want Palat-Point-Johnson back together I think Gourde carries a line well on his own, moreso than Johnson at this point where as Johnson has high upside next to Point. Erne can go in for Paquette on rotation for:

Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Gourde-Erne
Kunitz-Cirelli-Callahan

DEEP
These would be my lines as well. Conacher over Erne on 3R is an option. Paq over Cirelli on 4C as well, although I prefer Cirelli.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I feel come playoff time, we're really going to need someone to drive the third line and I think Gourde is that guy. Killorn is too passive when he's "the guy", but can really be sparked by guys like Gourde. The third guy on that line could really be anyone who's willing to go the dirty areas and has a little bit of finsh. Conacher and Erne are great candidates.

I might be the only one here, but I'd really like to see Stephens get a cup of coffee and see what he can do on the third line if Cirelli is going to remain on the 4th line.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I feel come playoff time, we're really going to need someone to drive the third line and I think Gourde is that guy. Killorn is too passive when he's "the guy", but can really be sparked by guys like Gourde. The third guy on that line could really be anyone who's willing to go the dirty areas and has a little bit of finsh. Conacher and Erne are great candidates.

I might be the only one here, but I'd really like to see Stephens get a cup of coffee and see what he can do on the third line if Cirelli is going to remain on the 4th line.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Conacher in the lineup come the playoffs let alone 3rd line. Erne doesn't deserve to be on the 3rd line in the playoffs just yet either, he isn't producing like one right now anyway. Give .e Callahan in that spot, he's playing well, has the experience and had good chemistry with Palat in the past.

Killorn - Stamkos - Kucherov
Miller - Point - Gourde
Palat - Johnson - Callahan
Kunitz - Paquette - Erne

Killorn can do the dirty work on the top line, he also knows how to work with Stamkos and can elevate in the playoffs. Gourde and Point are money right now and Miller is the perfect physical compliment. Palat and Johnson haven't played a lot together this year but we now what they can do, Callahan also makes that line extremely strong defensively if we need it to be that. I expect Cirelli back to Syracuse and Paquette has been a good playoff performer so would give him the nod in the 4C spot.

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Yeah I also agree with these lines. Feel Callahan has earned a spot at 3RW. I also like that 4th line as well, and with Kunitz there can keep them in check on the defensive end of things. Reunite Pallahan, and Johnson should be good on the 3rd with Palat there. Him and Killorn did not mesh. I recall the 11F/7D where Johnson really struggled to start the season.

If Cooper feels the need to do 11F again, have Johnson-Palat as the third line with players rotating in. You're right about that line being probably the weakest to begin the year.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'll never get how a 26 year old rookie can be in the conversation for ROTY. Yanni has been one of my favorites this year because I didn't expect him to be so good, but he isn't in the same boat as the other rookies.

Reactions: JoVel

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'll never get how a 26 year old rookie can be in the conversation for ROTY. Yanni has been one of my favorites this year because I didn't expect him to be so good, but he isn't in the same boat as the other rookies.
Agreed. I absolutely hated it when Panarin won it after having played over 250 games in the KHL.

Reactions: MattM92

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah I also agree with these lines. Feel Callahan has earned a spot at 3RW. I also like that 4th line as well, and with Kunitz there can keep them in check on the defensive end of things. Reunite Pallahan, and Johnson should be good on the 3rd with Palat there. Him and Killorn did not mesh. I recall the 11F/7D where Johnson really struggled to start the season.

He'd be redundant on that line, I think. Palat does the dirty work. Johnson's a good north-south shooter. They need a skilled playmaker.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I really want to see McDonagh and Stralman together. The pair sounds like it works too well, but on the other hand I want none of Girardi playing 20+ minutes a game on the top pairing, same for Coburn and Sustr. But if I have to pick someone to be on the top pairing if we can't put Stralman there, put Coburn up there against Ottawa today. See how it goes.

Hedman - Coburn (22:00 minutes roughly)
McDonagh - Stralman (20:00 minutes)
Sergachev - Girardi (16 to 18 minutes)

Stralman is the team babysitter, and he will offer the stability McDonagh needs to get accustomed to the difference in style of play between the Rangers D and ours. Split any extra minutes with pairing Stralman and Hedman back together when we need them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad