Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 7

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He probably sees the same things I see: our only RHD under team control after next season will be Dotchin, we can’t afford Karlsson’s next contract without gutting our roster, Foote is both our only real hope of developing a top four (or possibly even top pairing) RHD and one of our best chips with which to trade for one, and there are moves we can make to upgrade our defense for this playoff run that don’t require us to trade him away so there’s no point in doing so for a luxury like Karlsson.

Yzerman is most likely just trying to see if he can get Karlsson for a price that won’t disrupt his longterm plans to what he considers to be an unsatisfactory degree; if not he’ll move on to a different target. I just hope he doesn’t wait so long for Dorion to blink that those other targets all get taken by other teams.

An alternative explanation is that Yzerman is fine with trading Foote for Karlsson and would rather Foote be the last piece he caves on than offer Foote now and have Dorion demand that he up his offer from there.

He probably kicked tires a little harder than anyone else. Until now.

Tough to say if Yzerman ever actually had plans to acquire Karlsson. Makes you wonder if Yost is just ridiculous though with his "the two teams have been working hard on this for the past three days." Doesn't really sound like that happened.

Dorion: "We're gonna need Sergachev."

Yzerman: "No."

Dorion: "Ok, well we're gonna need a big package centered around Foote, plus a roster player."

Yzerman: "No."

Dorion: "What exactly are you looking to achieve here?"

Yzerman (probably): "Just keep me in the loop if any Atlantic teams offer something better."

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I think that the alternative explanation is more true. I don’t see SY letting a guy like Karlsson slip through his fingers. Foote is a good prospect but SY has enough assets to get another guy to project top 4 on the right side if he has to after this trade he could do it later how deep we are offensively. Reality is we will have to shed some salary at some point to help re-sign Kucherov, maybe he can swing a deal for a guy who can make up for Foote. I mean if we can make Karlsson work with the rest of our top players then it’s not the most difficult team to build around. Our drafting is pretty good. It’s not the worst idea.

That could very well be. The thing with Foote is that we need at least one top four RHD now and may need another in a couple years depending on what happens with Stralman, and as good as Foote projects to be it’s doubtful he’ll be ready by that time. So there’s a decent chance we might have to trade him anyway to get someone further along in his development. In addition there’s always the possibility that we might move Sergachev to the right which would make Foote less critical to our future success. So I’d prefer to avoid trading him if possible but I can at least see it happening if it brings back Karlsson, whereas I don’t see Yzerman trading Sergachev.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Still All In says he thinks there's probably a deal in principle for Green. By 3p tomorrow I would guess that's who we get. We were never close on EK and probably didn't even try much with McD.

My prediction.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So basically McKenzie and Dreger are drumming up as much bull**** as possible because people will listen based on reputation? That sounds about right. TSN probably figures this will be one of the most lackluster TDL's in recent memory because no one is willing to give up anyone for anything and they need to keep viewership as high as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the Karlsson deal didn't actually die long ago and they're just reporting old facts again and again without divulging enough of the pertinent details for anyone to tell the difference

I know it sounds like conspiracy but this has been the worst TDL I can ever remember. I have never seen so much hype over so little

Hand to God Green to Caps and McDonagh, Hjalmarsson and EK staying put would surprise me least of any possible outcome and at this rate I'd actually be shocked if any of them were moved

Jesus, man. You're literally describing every TDL and what the TDL has come to be known for.

Nobody ever said Karlsson was more than 50-50 to move. The idea that this deal was close to being done was nothing more than fans getting carried away with what little info was out there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Still All In says he thinks there's probably a deal in principle for Green. By 3p tomorrow I would guess that's who we get. We were never close on EK and probably didn't even try much with McD.

My prediction.

I think he's had a deal in place for Green for a while. The fact he hasn't pulled the trigger yet tells you he's saving assets for a bigger fish though. I doubt that's Karlsson. But I just mean, Green seems like the safety net plan right now. My money's still on Green + a solid, but not spectacular, lefty.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think he's had a deal in place for Green for a while. The fact he hasn't pulled the trigger yet tells you he's saving assets for a bigger fish though. I doubt that's Karlsson. But I just mean, Green seems like the safety net plan right now. My money's still on Green + a solid, but not spectacular, lefty.
Bringing in an entire new pairing this late in the game is a bit risky, no?

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I'd almost rather we go for McD rather than EK. Yes I know he's a LHD but he already knows our two top RHD and has played RD in the past. Would be more reasonable price wise. And is very solid on the defense side of the game.

Ah well! What will be will be.

I still (mostly) trust the Yzerplam. :D

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I just hope that whoever we get suits up tomorrow night. Buy six plane tickets out of Ottawa, NY, Detroit, Columbus... wherever. 3:30p flights. Charter the Concorde. Do whatever it takes.

Must. Beat. Toronto.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Jesus, man. You're literally describing every TDL and what the TDL has come to be known for.

Nobody ever said Karlsson was more than 50-50 to move. The idea that this deal was close to being done was nothing more than fans getting carried away with what little info was out there.

That's normally how it goes but it's rare you find a year where the likes of a McDonagh and Karlsson to be allegedly available too. The players we've seen moved like Nash and the ones who are likely to see move like Green and Kane are the same caliber of what is always to be expected but I think you know where I'm going with this. It just boggles the mind that none of the fish are biting yet on that kind of talent because seldom do the likes of a McDonagh and Karlsson have any availability at all. Not necessarily do I think teams need to overpay, it's that I genuinely think it's crazy that for all these available players who are of high caliber, teams would just as soon say "no thank you"

You mean to tell me the Lightning are still ahead of the pack and won't even offer Cal Foote in a deal?? Wtf is going on?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's normally how it goes but it's rare you find a year where the likes of a McDonagh and Karlsson to be allegedly available too. The players we've seen moved like Nash and the ones who are likely to see move like Green and Kane are the same caliber of what is always to be expected but I think you know where I'm going with this. It just boggles the mind that none of the fish are biting yet on that kind of talent because seldom do the likes of a McDonagh and Karlsson have any availability at all. Not necessarily do I think teams need to overpay, it's that I genuinely think it's crazy that for all these available players who are of high caliber, teams would just as soon say "no thank you"

You mean to tell me the Lightning are still ahead of the pack and won't even offer Cal Foote in a deal?? Wtf is going on?

...Because those players are just barely available to begin with. Nobody's gonna gouge a hole in their roster this time of year. There's no pressure on NY or OTT to move these guys yet. If they do, they're gonna get a little bit more than what they'd get for a rental.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
I seriously think Yzerman is lowballing them so hard and then they're going to think he "caves" when he puts Vladdy on the table. Whether we get him or not idk.

Also, we have to remember the cap is supposed to go up a decent chunk, that would help to resign EK.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'd almost rather we go for McD rather than EK. Yes I know he's a LHD but he already knows our two top RHD and has played RD in the past. Would be more reasonable price wise. And is very solid on the defense side of the game.

Ah well! What will be will be.

I still (mostly) trust the Yzerplam. :D

It feels like Ottawa is more against the knife trading their dman so I don’t think McDonagh would be that much cheaper. I bet Rangers would asking for the same return as Ottawa.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Ilya Kovalchuk confirmed his intend to return to the NHL July 1st. Will be UFA, no strings attached.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's looking more like we get Johnson and Green. Better than nothing.

If we get both we have to be going 11/7 every night.

Hedman-Stralman
Johnson- Green
Sergachev- Girardi
Coburn

The bottom pair rotates each shift with Coburn playing some right side, Coburn-Girardi first PK.

Reactions: JAY7791

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
We should be getting EK or McDonagh. We have the assets, especially for McDonagh as he's not as much. We don't need to hoard all these F prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->