Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Johnson has been pretty solid on both the PK and PP. 5 on 5 he's basically invisible and hasn't done much. The Johnson-Killorn-??? never does much. I like giving extra shifts to Kuch and who ever is playing well that game tho.

The 11-7 mostly helps our D out which i'm fine with.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson has been pretty solid on both the PK and PP. 5 on 5 he's basically invisible and hasn't done much. The Johnson-Killorn-??? never does much. I like giving extra shifts to Kuch and who ever is playing well that game tho.

The 11-7 mostly helps our D out which i'm fine with.

I think Johnson's numbers will improve once the lines get shaken up, but that can't happen while the team is playing arguably its best hockey since the beginning of the Yzerman era. Johnson and Killorn will never work well together, but they've both been pretty responsible this year, so as long as we're getting scoring from other places, we're gonna do fine.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think Johnson's numbers will improve once the lines get shaken up, but that can't happen while the team is playing arguably its best hockey since the beginning of the Yzerman era. Johnson and Killorn will never work well together, but they've both been pretty responsible this year, so as long as we're getting scoring from other places, we're gonna do fine.
Why would the lines get shaken up? And who would be placed with TyJo to improve his numbers?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why would the lines get shaken up? And who would be placed with TyJo to improve his numbers?

Because the season is 82 games and we're gonna lose some of them. Have you ever seen a team go 82 games without changing up the lines? It'll happen eventually.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Because the season is 82 games and we're gonna lose some of them. Have you ever seen a team go 82 games without changing up the lines? It'll happen eventually.
Are you trying to say Kuch or Stammer play with TyJo? Is that what you mean by line shakeup?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't think DFC was applying that for right now. Lines are going to change its only the 9th game into the season. I mean there is some point Cooper goes back to 12F. So guess Brown or Dumont would go up to Johnson's line? Don't even know at this point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Are you trying to say Kuch or Stammer play with TyJo? Is that what you mean by line shakeup?

Stamkos + Johnson wouldn't work, and hasn't worked. Same issue as Killorn. They're both so north-south they just never click.

Palat or Gourde would work well with him, and Kucherov obviously, but Kucherov works with literally anybody on the team.

I'm not sure you read my entire post. I said we obviously can't change the lines right now because we're playing really well. But we're not gonna go 80-1-1, and when we lose some games, Coop shakes up the lineup. That's just what happens. I think eventually one of those changes will be beneficial to Johnson, numbers-wise. Him and Killorn are the odd men out at the moment.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
As long as we never see the TKO line again I'll be happy. Putting them back together might just be the worst possible thing we can do. Until Johnson figures himself out that combination needs to go the way of that old Guns N Roses song "I used to love her but I had to kill her"

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
As long as we never see the TKO line again I'll be happy. Putting them back together might just be the worst possible thing we can do. Until Johnson figures himself out that combination needs to go the way of that old Guns N Roses song "I used to love her but I had to kill her"

You don't think a Stamkos - Point line could work? You could add just about any winger on that line and it could be successful.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

It's a long season it could happen.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You don't think a Stamkos - Point line could work? You could add just about any winger on that line and it could be successful.

While true, Vladdy will unlikely be as successful as he is outside of that line. I would not touch that first line at all. Point on the other hand can stay with Palat and should Cooper decide to, he could bump Callahan off his line and give us the Pallahan experience featuring Brayden Point. God knows Callahan has earned that shot. I'm sorry but I don't trust Vladdy to center that line any more than Johnson until Johnson proves he's back

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Was it 2014 or 2015 when we tried Stamkos-Johnson at the beginning of the year? That line was horrible. Although that was the time when Stamkos was struggling with pretty much everyone he played with.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Was it 2014 or 2015 when we tried Stamkos-Johnson at the beginning of the year? That line was horrible. Although that was the time when Stamkos was struggling with pretty much everyone he played with.
That was when he first came back from his leg right?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That was when he first came back from his leg right?
I can't remember that much from the time Stamkos came back and who he spent time with. I checked a few GDTs of the start of 2014-15 and didn't see them together though. But what I did see was Carle on the first pairing and Kucherov on the fourth line.

I think we put them together when TKO wasn't working as good as we hoped? I don't know, maybe my memory is playing games with me.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
While true, Vladdy will unlikely be as successful as he is outside of that line. I would not touch that first line at all. Point on the other hand can stay with Palat and should Cooper decide to, he could bump Callahan off his line and give us the Pallahan experience featuring Brayden Point. God knows Callahan has earned that shot. I'm sorry but I don't trust Vladdy to center that line any more than Johnson until Johnson proves he's back

I think Namestnikov could work, he plays well when in a top 6 role. When Cooper had him on the 4th line or with Filpulla he sucks, put him with skilled players like he is and his game is so much better. I think Palat is the weak link on the line with Point and Gourde, so I wouldn't keep him with Point and add Callahan. Callahan makes 5.8, I don't care how energetic he looks or how many blocked shots he gets he needs to score, don't move him up until he does. Brown can run around all night sacrificing his body but gets shit on while Callahan is somehow amazing because of it yet makes 5 times as much.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Cooper has always been too north or south with Callahan. Either he is on the top line which is over his head or he is thrown with F'ing Paquette on the 3rd/4th line. I understand Cally has no points but it is very misleading to how he is playing. I really like the Kunitz and Cally combo they look great but they need a playmaker at center.

As per Vladdy he has gotten better don't get me wrong but he is so riding the coattails of the Stamkos/Kucherov duo. Do you agree?

Reactions: AlwaysSunnyInTampa

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Cooper has always been too north or south with Callahan. Either he is on the top line which is over his head or he is thrown with F'ing Paquette on the 3rd/4th line. I understand Cally has no points but it is very misleading to how he is playing. I really like the Kunitz and Cally combo they look great but they need a playmaker at center.

As per Vladdy he has gotten better don't get me wrong but he is so riding the coattails of the Stamkos/Kucherov duo. Do you agree?

To a degree yes. He is much better than before but he's also with our best guys. But I don't advocate moving him off the line. Point produces almost no matter what line he's on or who he is with. I can't say the same for Vladdy.

Point would be awesome with Callahan

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
So while I enjoy how Callahan has played so far - very much heart and soul-type game and doing it well - how many legit scoring chances has he had? A lot of logo-seekers so far. I'd love if he grabbed a goal soon, but I think he is excelling with that line in his role because they can be excellent shit-disturbers that aren't really expected to pot goals. Move him up even one line and he's going to be expected to contribute, and frankly I don't know if he still can.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Namestnikov could work, he plays well when in a top 6 role. When Cooper had him on the 4th line or with Filpulla he sucks, put him with skilled players like he is and his game is so much better. I think Palat is the weak link on the line with Point and Gourde, so I wouldn't keep him with Point and add Callahan. Callahan makes 5.8, I don't care how energetic he looks or how many blocked shots he gets he needs to score, don't move him up until he does. Brown can run around all night sacrificing his body but gets **** on while Callahan is somehow amazing because of it yet makes 5 times as much.

I like what Callahan has brought this year, that's energy, physical play and good hustle but that doesn't translate into offense though.
He's a glorified 3rd/4th liner - if your main offensive contribution is crossing the blueline then ripping a clapper on net or wide then you don't belong in the top-6, and that is very indicative in his production.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I like what Callahan has brought this year, that's energy, physical play and good hustle but that doesn't translate into offense though.
He's a glorified 3rd/4th liner - if your main offensive contribution is crossing the blueline then ripping a clapper on net or wide then you don't belong in the top-6, and that is very indicative in his production.
Get out of my head.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
To a degree yes. He is much better than before but he's also with our best guys. But I don't advocate moving him off the line. Point produces almost no matter what line he's on or who he is with. I can't say the same for Vladdy.

Point would be awesome with Callahan

Would love Callahan with Point also. No one can Point at his Point production based on his Play. He has been right on Point.

Lol sorry too much , next time I will get right to the Point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad