Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I like what Callahan has brought this year, that's energy, physical play and good hustle but that doesn't translate into offense though.
He's a glorified 3rd/4th liner - if your main offensive contribution is crossing the blueline then ripping a clapper on net or wide then you don't belong in the top-6, and that is very indicative in his production.

Exactly, he doesn't belong anywhere near the top 6. Nobody is trading for him so we don't need to inflate his stats. Keep him fresh so he brings it every shift and can PK. Playing 11 forwards there's going to be some games where he'll get those minutes due to injury or penalties, no need to force it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also, very hard for Callahan to produce without PP time. Even if you don't score on that PP it motivates your offensive game. With no playmaker on his line very hard to do it at ES as well. No one should be on his case for not hitting the scoresheet yet. It's mostly bad luck and not getting the ice time with a playmaker. If he continues this play he should be able to pot some goals.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We're scoring at over 4 goals a game right now, with a PP that (I think) is running at around 30%. There is zero reason to "put Cally with a playmaker" or to put him on the PP. He's a fantastic fourth line grinder at this point in his career (if an overpaid one).

I agree and why people should not be making an issue over his production. But it is a long season. Sure he will get on that score sheet . I expected this towards the 2nd half of his contract with this forward group depth and it's not a bad thing.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
NOOOO!!!!!! Why would you even bring this filth in here? How do I un-jinx this? Tarot cards? Bloody Mary in the mirror? Play the punch buggy game?

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
CAlly is doing a great job with his role right now. Why move him? I actually really like him with Kunitz.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Dotchin has been pretty solid, just like he was last year. Nothing over flashy, brings some grit.

Serg has been getting better and better every game. Brings some offence as well

Hedman has just been alright, pretty good on the defensive side of the puck but isn't really putting up his offence we've seen the past couple years.

Coburn and Girardi have also both been solid. Blocking shots left and right. No complaints.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Did not love Sustr's game tonight. Thought he was getting outmuscled and wilted under a forecheck. But at the same time I dislike him so much I don't know if I can be an objective judge of his game at this point.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Did not love Sustr's game tonight. Thought he was getting outmuscled and wilted under a forecheck. But at the same time I dislike him so much I don't know if I can be an objective judge of his game at this point.

It really is long over due that we cut our losses with him. Trade him, cut him do what ever. Just get him off the team. We got our 7 defensemen, lets roll out with them from here.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
CAlly is doing a great job with his role right now. Why move him? I actually really like him with Kunitz.

Kunitz and him are building up some nice chemistry. But like to get them a center who can make some plays. Tonight's answer was Brown? Lol.

Think Cally should get Gourde's spot on the 2nd PP unit. He has earned it. PP will score some dirty goals with him screening and deflecting pucks. Don't think that is asking much for a guy who looks rejuvenated out there. Did not see tonight game, but his stat sheet and twitter comments say he had another strong game.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
And people here were complaining after we moved Bishop that Vasi wouldn't be able to cut it.

So there was an element of gambling to that move. Vasi is very young for a goaltender. But contract status made the move obvious, and it looks like we got a good prospect out of the deal in Cernak.

Reactions: More 2004

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
So there was an element of gambling to that move. Vasi is very young for a goaltender. But contract status made the move obvious, and it looks like we got a good prospect out of the deal in Cernak.

Definitely acknowledge there was a gamble but the amount of vitriol some people spewed was questionable at the time and is now just hilarious.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I should have made a list of those people that wanted Cooper fired, that went against trading the Drouin cancer and Bishop, that cried doomsday after the Girardi signing, and thought the sky was falling after the second game of the season. I think, but not sure, its all the same friggin people. I should have made the list and put them all on ignore.

Reactions: Maelmoor

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I should have made a list of those people that wanted Cooper fired, that went against trading the Drouin cancer and Bishop, that cried doomsday after the Girardi signing, and thought the sky was falling after the second game of the season. I think, but not sure, its all the same friggin people. I should have made the list and put them all on ignore.
I'm pro firing Cooper and was fine with all of the above roster moves - although I was skeptical of the Girardi signing.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
As if there was no uncertainty is any of these moves no questionable coaching habits beforehand. Great, as a fan of the team couldn't be happier - what's annoying is the guys watching behind rose colored glasses all the time. The reason things look brighter is because they identified what needed to be changed and did it, had things been done some of your guys ways (change nothing, everything's ok) we'd be right back where we were last year.

I mean some of these guys never admitted there were problems in the first place - now come out after said problems have been addressed and corrected saying they were right in the first place? LOL

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
There was LOGIC to the moves. There was LOGIC to reasons why we under performed. Rose colored glasses are the extreme version of the chicken littles around here ... I try to move the chicken littles to the middle as much as possible with LOGIC. But far too many of the pitchfork crowd that fail to look at things objectively.

So you are pointing to roster turnover as the needed "change" that needed to be addressed? We brought in a 4th liner and a third pairing defenseman ... or do you mean having turnover as in fielding a healthy roster and getting some much needed off-season rest?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No, the issue has always been fundamental within the coaching system that looks like Cooper finally got around to addressing. The problem with Cooper was he was so stuck in his system and not changing anything on the surface or underneath it, except rolling some new lines, and if he was going to continue to not change anything he should go. Since he's come around he's shown he can change even on the surface (putting skill with skill, rookie usage, Hedman's minutes up) so can our opinions. Does that sound LOGICAL to you?

Although an off-season of self-reflection on piss poor effort through 2 years doesn't hurt.

The level of play is far from bringing in 3 players and rest, you think rest is the reason they look significantly more dominant than ever? No.

Last edited:

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Our young Russians have ice cold blood man!
They be like... "If he die, he die"

220px-Lundgren_Ivan_Drago.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad