Injury Report: 2017/18 Puck off the Foot Report (Upshall out indefinitely)

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So naturally we will see a 46 goal pace upon his return, now that he has 2 working shoulders?

I see his goals staying the same at a 23 goal pace, but his passing will be off the charts and he will now have a 30 assist pace, and he will finally become a 50 point+ player again.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
zSIvBBv_-_Imgur.0.gif

BrianElliottLaugh.gif

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Is it the same shoulder or did he tear the silly putty ass tendons in his other shoulder
It's his other shoulder, not the same shoulder that he had surgery on previously. So he's had surgery on both shoulders now. It will be interesting now that there's extra roster spot open.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It's his other shoulder, not the same shoulder that he had surgery on previously. So he's had surgery on both shoulders now. It will be interesting now that there's extra roster spot open.

We can fill it internally in the short term (Bill Bradford, Thompson, Paajarvi, etc). It will give us a chance to get a longer look at some of our younger fringe guys. Or we will almost definitely sign a few AHL/NHL tweeners to sub-million 1-way contracts like Agostino that could be used as a call-up.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
So with Bergy out and the Blues wanting to try Schenn at center first, the lines could look this.

Schwartz-Stas-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Schenn-Steen
Sobotka-Barbie-Paajarvi
Sundqvist-Brodz-Jaskin

There's a chance Sanford becomes a top 9 option or somebody unexpected has an awesome camp and forces their way onto the roster. I thought Barbashev and Paajarvi had really good chemistry the times they played together and think with Sobi that would be excellent speedy third line with some skill.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm just glad they immediately decided on surgery rather than 'rehabbing' it and letting the problem recur mid-season.

Once he's had both sides repaired this way, he should be in good shape to avoid future issues (after he's rehabbed). This season will be significantly compromised, and maybe it will be a full year to see him back to normal.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I like Bergy, but he isnt a difference maker imo. Decent 3rd line player

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
He definitely was last year. If he can put on another season like last year following surgery, we might have a trade piece on our hands, or at the very least a tough choice to make between Sobotka, Berglund, and Barbashev

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He definitely was last year. If he can put on another season like last year following surgery, we might have a trade piece on our hands, or at the very least a tough choice to make between Sobotka, Berglund, and Barbashev
Pretty easy choice to keep Barbashev given his cost and age, and potential. Unless he's netting us something great in a trade, he's not in this conversation.

The other 2 yeah it doesn't really matter but I do think Sobotka is probably the better player. Better on faceoffs, tougher, better playmaker which we could use if we need to put a different center with Tarasenko or something. Just feel Sobotka is more versatile than Berglund.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think this is the other shoulder. Seems like his genetic anatomy gave him shoulders that are prone to dislocating. He'll probably have the same surgery done to make it much more difficult for the shoulder to dislocate again. If he comes back like he did last time, I think he'll be strong enough to make a difference by playoff time.

THIS is why you stockpile 3Cs!

I actually have something similar although it's much more pronounced in my right shoulder than my left. Basically the shoulder joint is a ball and socket. The top of the arm is the ball, the socket is from your scapula (it's a little more complicated because of your collarbone but this isn't anatomy). For me, the bottom part of my socket is underdeveloped making it easier for the ball to "fall out" thus dislocating the shoulder. Of course, it's also easy to pop right back in, but if it affects any tendons or whatever, it can be really painful. I couldn't lift my arm above chest height without pain for about two months after I landed on my elbow playing goalie in soccer because of that.

In order to prevent it, you try to stiffen/stengthen the various tendons that hold the ball in the socket. I did this through physical therapy but if that hadn't worked, I'd have had surgery to shorten the tendon.

No idea if Berglund has something similar, but workouts would be the place it happens. There are some exercises I can't/won't do cause they're uncomfortable.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
So it is reported that he slipped while doing a sled exercise. I have been there just didn't injury anything.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, LTIR gives us the cap relief but it doesn't really change anything. We would need to be cap compliant when he returned, so it isn't like we have extra space to sign someone.

I think what it makes clear is that we will probably be looking to spend our remaining cap space on a RW.

Can't we just make up some stuff like the Blackhawks and get the league to let us put him on permanent LTIR?

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
giphy.gif

Hopefully some good can come out of this since we're likely to get some more solid Bergy gifs like this one.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The Bouwmeester thing is a bummer. If you're Dunn or Walman though, what an even better opportunity to force your way onto the roster.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Did anyone really see Sanford making the roster as a full time player this season? There are a lot of scraps of ice time to be fought for between a lot of young guys. This just thins the herd a little bit.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Gotta do what you gotta do to make sure your roster spot is safe.

Jaskin is cold blooded. Let's see some of that ruthless aggression against the opponent next time.

Also, the Bouwmeester thing is no good. Tough void to fill, but opportunities will roll down hill. More minutes for Edmundson, guaranteed starts for Gunnarsson, and a roster spot certainly opens for Dunn or Walman. Maybe both.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Did anyone really see Sanford making the roster as a full time player this season? There are a lot of scraps of ice time to be fought for between a lot of young guys. This just thins the herd a little bit.

Nope..... i didnt see him making it. From practice it sounds like they were trying Eddy with Pie anyways. Gunn can fill that 2nd pairing minutes adequately. Bring on the WalDunn parade.

Who sniped Boumeester? It would be funny if it was one of Dunn or Walman

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Bad news on Bouw, but I can't help but have a Mr. Burns "Excellent..." moment thinking about Dunn and Walman. I'm a bad person, I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad