Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Holding his own. There are some struggles from time to time, but for the most part, he looks fine. The schedule from mid-Jan through Feb is going to say a lot. That is when they get into the meat of the season... against Northeastern, BC, BU, and NH. The BU games will be the real interesting ones.

One thing to keep in mind, a lot of college kids are not really bigger than Junior A in Canada. Many are on the smaller end. They tend to be more experienced and filled out though. So it is more of a different type of strength more than being bigger and stronger.

Some college kids aren't that much bigger and stronger. AJHL teams are mostly under 20 year olds, with a limit of six per team. NCAA teams usually are led by 20-22 year olds, and they play half as many games as the AJHL, so they have more time to hit the weight room.

It's that lean muscle you add when you're starting to build your "man strength" in your 20's. Not everyone is bigger and stronger, but overall it's a step up for sure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Top 10 would be something because they look sub D-1 right now. The structure to their game is pretty gross and remedial in the offensive zone.

Sub D1? Really? They are 8-7 and getting votes in the USCHO poll. They have wins over Providence (legit top 10 team) and Union (top 20 team). 3 of their 7 losses came against teams who should play in the tournament (Providence and Ohio State). You're grossly exaggerating how bad they are. They look like a young team (which they are), and are very inconsistent. They can beat a top 10 team one night, and get blown out the next. They sit 9th out of 11 in HE right now, but have played 2-4 less games than most team in the conference. They should probably finish 6th or 7th within the conference. No small feat in that conference. The only lose 1 significant player if Makar doesn't leave (Rufo). The whole top 4 and 8 of 9 of the top 9, and their goalies would all return. There is a damn good amount of talent there for a college team. Three forwards who have legit pro potential (maybe not NHL, but real good pros for a long time) in Chau, Leonard and Lagunov. Then you combine elite college talents like Makar and Ferraro... you have the basis for an excellent team. They are young... but they are talented.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Love the Timmins love and Bobby's my most respected hockey fella. Few names there caught me a bit off guard. I've got, but will change in 2 weeks lol...

Dube - McLeod - Kyrou
Suzuki - Steel - Raddysh
Gadjovich - Thomas - Steenbergen
Katchouk - Howden - Pu/Ang

Defense I agree.. Foote, Cholowski, and Mahura / Quennvelle, would be my next 3/4 with hopefully Mete coming and Bean getting cut.

So I guess some names if you guys are familiar and don't mind, Formenton, Batherson, Phillips, and Mashcherin. What type of game do they bring and would you consider any of these 4 locks?

Shane Bowers did not make the cut?

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Saw Morrison tonight against UW Badgers. He's a big kid, my first thought was he's definitely a Roy draft pick. ND pretty much just planted him in front of the net the whole time in the offensive zone for redirects/tap ins. It was difficult to get a good read on his skills as most of the play was happening around him. If I had to guess if he makes it, it will be as a Holmstrom clone. He's definitely difficult to move and has good puck skills w/in five feet of the net but needs to work (a lot) on his skating and stick handling. Obviously just one game but I'd say he's a full fours years in college and at least 2 in the AHL before making the big boys.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Saw Morrison tonight against UW Badgers. He's a big kid, my first thought was he's definitely a Roy draft pick. ND pretty much just planted him in front of the net the whole time in the offensive zone for redirects/tap ins. It was difficult to get a good read on his skills as most of the play was happening around him. If I had to guess if he makes it, it will be as a Holmstrom clone. He's definitely difficult to move and has good puck skills w/in five feet of the net but needs to work (a lot) on his skating and stick handling. Obviously just one game but I'd say he's a full fours years in college and at least 2 in the AHL before making the big boys.
Kind of concerning that his skating and stick handling isn't progressing in his D+2 year. I've always thought he was a 3 year NCAA project, but he should be getting better at that by now.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Kind of concerning that his skating and stick handling isn't progressing in his D+2 year. I've always thought he was a 3 year NCAA project, but he should be getting better at that by now.

I left feeling the same way, which is disappointing. Honestly seems a long way off if he ever makes it. He will have no problem on the physical side but his puck handling, at least last night, was atrocious and in no way NHL caliber yet.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Was definitely expecting more offensive skill from Morrison after his pre-draft season with Youngstown in the USHL. I’d say some of it is just that the Irish are a really good and deep NCAA team but the only forward of note that is a senior that for sure is gone next year is Evans and while that’s a big hole, Morrison is going to have to work himself into a starring college role if he wants it because the Irish aren’t going to get any less deep anytime soon.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He plays 1st line with Evans (man I love watching this guy). If anything about playing for that team gives a false impression about his lack of development it would be how they just have him planted in front of the net constantly, which is going to be his role no matter who is there. That just seems to be the system ND runs and at his size he is going to be one of the best options for that role. I'm hoping we just sign him this summer. I'm not sure he will develop any further with ND.

Even last year he was in a tweener role and got a good amount of time with the top players.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Saw a Sportsnet Cosentino short on my television and was talking about the Soo. Said some remarkable things about Timmins such as "playing out of his mind". Says that the Greyhounds rebound has been largely due to their goaltending, but that Timmins was absolutely a 1st rounder, which Avs were able to get in the 2nd. Additionally, mentioned that with the likes of Girard, Makar, and Timmins, an area of weakness for the Avs should turn into a strength. Also labeled Timmins as a top 4 defenceman.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I didn't come away thinking he was all that skilled at dev camp...
I mean, skill was never going to be his bread and butter. He's a power, net front kind of guy and always has been. But he's going to need to do something in the other 185 feet of rink that's not right at the goal mouth to play in the NHL.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Makar's stats so far this year. They don't track TOI it seems, which is sad.

0.56 PPG.

VkD7khX.png

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m just excited to see him at the WJC. It’s so hard to gauge (at least for most of us) just how good he has been with the Minutemen.

Last time he suited up for Team Canada he was pretty darn good - hoping that experience and him playing against a bunch of older guys in college translates to even more impact this time around. But I also feel like as fans we are hoping to see something amazing because he’s hard to get a handle on at UMass and some of his draft peers are putting up eye popping totals. Hopefully we don’t sit here and tear him down if he’s not one of the best defenders in the tournament or at least on TC.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I can't gif it but I watched the 1st period of UMass against Quinnipiac from a while back on my ESPN app on Apple TV, and Makar made an outstanding pro level back check to break up an odd man rush.

If I remember correct, the puck was turned over while he was deep in the zone, and there was about to be either a 2 on 1 or a 2 on 0 (can't remember) and he flew down the ice and kind of dove with his stick toward the puck carrier and prevented any shot or pass from being made.

Really high level effort. Thought I'd pass it along.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Is it even a guarantee Makar makes the Canada squad? If he does he’s really going to be fighting for ice time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is it even a guarantee Makar makes the Canada squad? If he does he’s really going to be fighting for ice time.

He really shined during the summer series and they seem to be planning for him to fill a big role :dunno: Fabbro & Timmins are good to, but if Makar is playing the way he was with TC over the summer, they won't stop him from getting all of the PT he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad