Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He doesn't add to the competition for Makar or Timmins really. He's a LHD and both Avs guys are Righties. They'll be fighting for different spots.

But it could create a different scenario for that #7D spot if it bumps a good LHD out of the Top 6 but as the leading candidate for the #7D role.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He doesn't add to the competition for Makar or Timmins really. He's a LHD and both Avs guys are Righties. They'll be fighting for different spots.

But it could create a different scenario for that #7D spot if it bumps a good LHD out of the Top 6 but as the leading candidate for the #7D role.

Mete affects Makar and Timmins because they have the same role. With Mete and Bean being (seemingly) locks, we could see Team Canada preferring to go with a shutdown pairing for the #5-6 spot.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mete affects Makar and Timmins because they have the same role. With Mete and Bean being (seemingly) locks, we could see Team Canada preferring to go with a shutdown pairing for the #5-6 spot.

I thought about this as well, but I dont think it will have much effect in that regard. If Makar is good enough to be on the team he'll make it regardless of Mete.

It could bump Timmins out, but Timmins does have a size advantage over a lot of the Dmen going to camp.

I ultimately think Timmins is gonna just miss now and Mete will play a role in that, as I think they end up going with 4 LHD now that Mete is joining the team.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I thought about this as well, but I dont think it will have much effect in that regard. If Makar is good enough to be on the team he'll make it regardless of Mete.

It could bump Timmins out, but Timmins does have a size advantage over a lot of the Dmen going to camp.

I ultimately think Timmins is gonna just miss now and Mete will play a role in that, as I think they end up going with 4 LHD now that Mete is joining the team.

I agree that if he's good enough he'll make it, but I think Mete getting released from the Habs made Makar go from close to a lock to fighting for a spot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lets remember the politics have never been in favor of the Avs for Team Canada either. They just don't play the game, and their prospects don't get hyped up by the media.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
*cough* Jost *cough*

Admittedly, it's not as big an issue as it used to be. They started playing the game a bit better, and use their connections more when Roy and Sakic took over. Jost, Bigras, and Barrie have all played for Team Canada.

Before them, you have to go all the way back to Jared Aulin in 2002.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs didn't draft high end Canadians for a while during that period. It isn't anything against the Avs, the Avs just didn't have player worthy of it. Wolski could have probably been a team Canada player, but his off the ice issues were more of the problem than being an Av's draft pick.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Playing for your home country is nice, but more concerned about their career afterwards. I believe Girard was cut by Team Canada last year and would consider him better than any of the players under currently under consideration.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Stefan Elliott was one of the biggest Avs prospects snubbed by Canada that I remember. He was better than Barrie in 10/11 but Barrie got the spot instead of him. I actually attended every minute of the summer camp in 2010 and Elliott was probably the best defenseman there. Ellis wasn't there mind you. That was back when Barrie used to love throwing his body around though so that may have have attributed to HC's love. Crazy to think Barrie used to be stronger than a lot of his peers.

Also I still don't agree with Bigras being cut in his second year. He was the second best defenseman in junior hockey that year after DeAngelo. I still hate Madison Bowey to this day because he in no way was good enough to bump Bigras.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pickard never made Team Canada and this was with their awful goaltending selections as well. Canada is definitely plagued by politics similarly as USA always have questionable decisions concerning their roster as well.

Hishon was also cut. One team I will never forgive is the Oilers and what they did to Draisaitl/Germany. Didn't release him to the WJC when he was scratched often, Germany gets relegated, and right after the tournament they send him back down to the WHL. Just awful management stuff there and since then Germany hasn't been promoted back to the main WJC group so it had some outstanding effect.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I admire your dedication to German Hockey, but it’s just not our game. It doesn’t really matter whether Leon kept us in the top group or not unless we start churning out some more NHLers with any consistency...at which point we should be able to fight our way back to the top group even without Leon.

So in the end what matters with Leon is that he becomes the NHL star that we hyped him up to become as a prospect. And on that end the Oilers have accidentally delivered.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Pickard never made Team Canada and this was with their awful goaltending selections as well. Canada is definitely plagued by politics similarly as USA always have questionable decisions concerning their roster as well.

Hishon was also cut. One team I will never forgive is the Oilers and what they did to Draisaitl/Germany. Didn't release him to the WJC when he was scratched often, Germany gets relegated, and right after the tournament they send him back down to the WHL. Just awful management stuff there and since then Germany hasn't been promoted back to the main WJC group so it had some outstanding effect.

Oilers are still incompetent.

I remembered the Draisaitl debacle, keeping and scratching him from the NHL roster, before they sent him down. They unnecessarily burned a year of eligibility and hurting Germany's chances to stay with the elite countries. The Oilers paid the price, he became a RFA a season sooner that cost the team big $$$. Germany would have been downgraded anyways, not a tremendous loss so they can play with countries at their skill level.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure hope Smirnov signs with the Avs after this season so I don't have to see him in that disgusting jersey.

The Eagles getting Makar, Timmins & Smirnov to join right off the bat would be fun. Hopefully Greer is done with the AHL by then, but Meloche seems like he'll probably still be there unless some injuries in the AHL can give him a permanent spot.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Does Smirnov have anything else that might hold him back from being useful NHL player other than his size? Seems like he is scoring at an pretty amazing rate, 9 goals and 8 assists in 12 games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I admire your dedication to German Hockey, but it’s just not our game. It doesn’t really matter whether Leon kept us in the top group or not unless we start churning out some more NHLers with any consistency...at which point we should be able to fight our way back to the top group even without Leon.

So in the end what matters with Leon is that he becomes the NHL star that we hyped him up to become as a prospect. And on that end the Oilers have accidentally delivered.
Except that hockey has potential in Germany just as handball and basketball does too. I wasn't mentioning that staying in the top group at the junior level will have this outstanding effect on making kids choose hockey over football. I was concluding that staying in the top group would give Germany's Hockey Federation more money from the IIHF that can be used on development.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Does Smirnov have anything else that might hold him back from being useful NHL player other than his size? Seems like he is scoring at an pretty amazing rate, 9 goals and 8 assists in 12 games.
He's not an outstanding skater, and at his size, that's probably the biggest thing that could hold him back from an NHL career. The offensive IQ is there, but he could easily become an Andrighetto in the NHL. Still definitely worth the sixth rounder, but he was there in the sixth because of the risks.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
He's not an outstanding skater, and at his size, that's probably the biggest thing that could hold him back from an NHL career. The offensive IQ is there, but he could easily become an Andrighetto in the NHL. Still definitely worth the sixth rounder, but he was there in the sixth because of the risks.

Gotcha, thanks. Hopyfully he works on his shortcomings. Those offensive numbers are impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad