Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Except that hockey has potential in Germany just as handball and basketball does too. I wasn't mentioning that staying in the top group at the junior level will have this outstanding effect on making kids choose hockey over football. I was concluding that staying in the top group would give Germany's Hockey Federation more money from the IIHF that can be used on development.

Except that won’t pull many kids away from soccer or handball. Leon becoming the Dirk of hockey might, but that’s the only way interest in hockey will rise in any meaningful manner in Germany

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Gotcha, thanks. Hopyfully he works on his shortcomings. Those offensive numbers are impressive.
His puck skills are nuts. Projecting how a player translates from NCAA to pros is tricky, especially when the question is "Will his IQ compensate for his lack of speed?" It certainly worked out well for Butcher, we'll see if Smirnov can replicate that.

Reactions: Murzu

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Except that won’t pull many kids away from soccer or handball. Leon becoming the Dirk of hockey might, but that’s the only way interest in hockey will rise in any meaningful manner in Germany
Dirk being Dirk of b-ball didn't do much for basketball, neither will Leon. As you have said, handball and football are king, all else can't be compared and most likely never will reach the heights of those two.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dirk being Dirk of b-ball didn't do much for basketball, neither will Leon. As you have said, handball and football are king, all else can't be compared and most likely never will reach the heights of those two.
Those two are king and will remain so; but basketball is a lot more popular than it was when I was a little kid.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Also had a snippet yesterday about Morrison. Wasn't impressed with his game at all. Not showing enough to say he's ready to take the next step, has a mans body but isn't willing to use it around the next, playing too passive and not getting involved in the play nearly enough. Could also improve on his skating a bit.

Pretty much what we've all thought as well this year.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He's kinda got snippets a little bit everywhere.

Mentioned how shvyryov is one the early risers of 2017. Also like Timmins.

We really need to get Shvyryov to SA. Dude is too good for the MHL. I assume he doesn't get much TOI in the KHL as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We really need to get Shvyryov to SA. Dude is too good for the MHL. I assume he doesn't get much TOI in the KHL as well.

Metallurg have improved from their dreadful start, but they still seem like a team that's in the need of some shaking up. This is not the gagarin cup co-favorite of days past; so Shvyry could have a shot at some real opportunities next season if he continues to shine.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Metallurg have improved from their dreadful start, but they still seem like a team that's in the need of some shaking up. This is not the gagarin cup co-favorite of days past; so Shvyry could have a shot at some real opportunities next season if he continues to shine.
Shvyry didn't get invited to Russia world junior's did he ? I think I read somewhere he never but not sure

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Love that that both made it and obviously Timmins has does great. Earned a spot and a lot of ppl have him top 4. I see lots have Makar as 7th D. Has he been impressive this year? I feel he has been a little under whelming and maybe locked himself a spot on the team in the Summer.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Shane Bowers has just three less points than Mittelstadt in the same amount of games while being a year younger yet people think he lacks offence. I'm telling you guys, we got a player in this guy. Could be another one of my crushes simply because I've been somewhat following him since he's like 13, but the kid has offensive jump.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Shane Bowers has just three less points than Mittelstadt in the same amount of games while being a year younger yet people think he lacks offence. I'm telling you guys, we got a player in this guy. Could be another one of my crushes simply because I've been somewhat following him since he's like 13, but the kid has offensive jump.
Oh he's definitely a player , is he a year younger?

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Shane Bowers, who would have known? Sakic got so many great pieces back just for one trade. Wow. and knowing that we had to trade Dutchie sooner or later.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Can you imagine if Bowers turns into a legit player.. and we also get a very high pick from them next season while they deal/Duchene walks? Wow....

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I saw very little high end potential in Bowers at the draft, but I'm very, very happy to be eating my words on that. Especially for a freshman on a perennially stacked college team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Shvyry didn't get invited to Russia world junior's did he ? I think I read somewhere he never but not sure

No he didn't make their team for the WJC. Though shvyry isn't completely foreign to the team Russia brass, he's generally on the bubble or on the outer rim of the youth NTs picture.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I saw very little high end potential in Bowers at the draft, but I'm very, very happy to be eating my words on that. Especially for a freshman on a perennially stacked college team.

Sakic might have obtained a very good prospect.

Trying not to get excited, but there is a lot to like with this player. Consider, they’re littered with high end prospects and he Centre’s the highest scoring line on the team.

Here is a stacked roster list of players drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Tkachuk - projects 1st round
Fabbro - 1st round
Greenway - 2nd round
Hickey - 3rd round
Kotkansalo - 3rd round
Crotty - 3rd round
Farrance - 3rd round
Macleod - 2nd round
Oettinger - 1st round

Interestingly, Tkachuk (LW) plays on the 1st line and is expected to be a Top 5 Pick in 2018. Bowers 2(C) has the same points, with double 8 vs 4 goals. About the same height, but a weight difference of 10 lbs lighter and their age is separated by 45 days

I don’t expect him to be similar to Tkachuk, but if he contnues with his progress, Sakic might have stolen a potentially high end player.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I watched a bit of Makar a week or so ago. Kid is not small. I wouldn't be surprised if he's 6'0" by the end of the season.

Measured in at 5'11.5 and 187 lbs at the combine. Pretty decent size actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad