GDT: 2017-18 Other Games Around the League Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't follow the schedule much at all, but I feel like the Ducks and Kings both get teams on the second half of a back to back a lot. Don't most eastern teams play in LA and in Anaheim on back to back nights?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't follow the schedule much at all, but I feel like the Ducks and Kings both get teams on the second half of a back to back a lot. Don't most eastern teams play in LA and in Anaheim on back to back nights?
I don't know if it's most or what the actual percentage is, but many of them do.

I have seen teams occasionally play in one of LA or Anaheim one night, then fly to San Jose and have a game the next night, then have to fly back to LA to play whoever of LA/Anaheim that they didn't play in the first game.

What I always found weird with the scheduling, teams from the Eastern Conference usually do California on one road trip (and all of Western Canada on another trip), but the Western Conference teams sometimes don't even play in New Jersey and New York on the same trip. That's gotta suck to have to play the Devils and Rangers on one road trip, then come all the way back a couple weeks later to play the Islanders. And then playing the Flyers in Philadelphia on some other trip 3 months later, which is in driving distance to North Jersey/New York City.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I don't have any numbers to prove it but it definitely feels like it. Teams always go there, play back to back games, have a day off, and then come up to SJ, or they come to SJ, fly immediately to SoCal and play one of the Ducks/Kings, rest, and then play the other. It's really lame.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Reminder - tonight is VGK's first game (vs Stars); NHLN 5:30 PT. Home opener is Tuesday (I got tickets). Players out in the community post incident. May bec0me rallying point for city/region.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The back2back with LA on the receiving end of the 2nd game will happen again on the 14th/15th. Islanders play up here on the 14th, and at Kings the next day.

And then on the 18th/19th with the Habs. Lucky Kings.

Oh man, again with Tampa Bay on Nov. 8th/9th. Someone in HQ playing favorites with the schedule in the pacific division?

Geez.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The same could be said for the ottawa versus leafs battle of ontario with the back to backs.

Toronto 1 season i actually looked at played ottawa every single game fresh while ottawa was on the back end of a back to back.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Looking forward to watching the Florida match up and the Vegas Golden Knights tonight. The last couple of nights have been fun in the NHL. Love the new season smell.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Seeing the PP of Dallas makes me wish we had a competent PP coach. Fleury had to be super sharp to make any of those saves. Keeping the Knights in this game.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Seeing the PP of Dallas makes me wish we had a competent PP coach. Fleury had to be super sharp to make any of those saves. Keeping the Knights in this game.
I was thinking the same thing. Particularly the zone entries. Like the 1st unit doesn't have the sheer creativity/puckhandling/speed to make a good entry. But it's kind of odd to me because I think that Hertl is the main zone entry guy on the 2nd unit and he gets that puck in and ready to go pretty often and he's not that fast or anything.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I was thinking the same thing. Particularly the zone entries. Like the 1st unit doesn't have the sheer creativity/puckhandling/speed to make a good entry. But it's kind of odd to me because I think that Hertl is the main zone entry guy on the 2nd unit and he gets that puck in and ready to go pretty often and he's not that fast or anything.
It's not just zone entries. They're actually moving the puck, and setting up screens. They are forcing the PKers to move to open up passing lanes and everyone is shooting.

And this is a team coached by Hitchcock! (Idk who does the PP for the Stars)

We used to be good at that once upon a time. Now we're stuck with the Steve Spott special.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's not just zone entries. They're actually moving the puck, and setting up screens. They are forcing the PKers to move to open up passing lanes and everyone is shooting.

And this is a team coached by Hitchcock! (Idk who does the PP for the Stars)

We used to be good at that once upon a time. Now we're stuck with the Steve Spott special.
Oh for sure, the zone entries just make me really angry because we spend like 1:30 hanging out in the neutral zone. It's absolutely infuriating to me.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I can think of the trivia questions now.

Who scored the game winning goal of the first ever Golden Knights regular season game?

Who scored the first goal in franchise history?

James Neal.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
And people were laughing at vegas for picking fleury. 45 save 1 goal win.

People were laughing at that pick? I don't seem to have noticed that, and thought it was common and accepted knowledge they were going to pick him to be the face of the franchise early on.

Who else would they have taken from Pitt? I don't remember seeing any juicy targets when doing mocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad