GDT: 2017/18 NCAA Basketball discussion

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I mean hell, I thought people like Bilas were legitimately going to have ****ing strokes in 2010 when WVU (who probably should have been a 1 seed anyway that year) beat Kentucky and Butler (as a 5 seed) took out Cuse to get there. I'd love nothing more then the Final Four some year to be something literally insane like Northeastern, Pepperdine, Florida Gulf Coast, and Jacksonville State.
Or even further back to the Kevin Pittsnogle era. I remember that epic game vs. Wake in the NCAA's. Think it was Chris Paul's last collegiate game.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I mean hell, I thought people like Bilas were legitimately going to have ****ing strokes in 2010 when WVU (who probably should have been a 1 seed anyway that year) beat Kentucky and Butler (as a 5 seed) took out Cuse to get there. I'd love nothing more then the Final Four some year to be something literally insane like Northeastern, Pepperdine, Florida Gulf Coast, and Jacksonville State.

Remember when Butler and VCU beat Kansas and UNC in the elite 8 in 2011? Whatever city was hosting that years Final 4 (Houston?) one of their big sports columnists wrote an article whining about how "tragic" it was for the city that that not one but two mid-majors made it instead. Bascially saying that the smaller schools had less alumni to draw from and therefore less revenue overall, which I get the gist of but still hilarious stuff.

At some point, at least 3 of the final 4 teams will be the likes of FGCU/Pepperdine etc. because the Kentuckys/Kansas/Dukes of the world keep sending their freshman stars off the NBA, we keep getting closer to it. When that day comes, the amount of salt from the national media and fans of the "blue bloods" will be so plentiful that we could provide all American restaurants 5 years worth supply of it.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Only 2 since 1989 :baghead:

Although they have Maryland now who won in 2002 while in the ACC.

And yet it seems like every other year one of Ohio State/Wisconsin/Michigan State/Michigan and maybe Indiana once in a while gets there, but can't get it done.

Hell the SEC is more diverse w/ Kentucky/Arkansas/Florida winning at least one in that time frame.

Reactions: CanesInducedComa

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
And yet it seems like every other year one of Ohio State/Wisconsin/Michigan State/Michigan and maybe Indiana once in a while gets there, but can't get it done.

Hell the SEC is more diverse w/ Kentucky/Arkansas/Florida winning at least one in that time frame.
Don't forget powerhouse South Carolina who made the Final Four last year :sarcasm:

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Don't forget powerhouse South Carolina who made the Final Four last year :sarcasm:

Off the top of my head, I know Mississippi State made it in the 90's (1996?), as did LSU a few times, and I think Georgia may have made it as well. Tennessee and Alabama have come close a few times.

Thats actually not bad for a Football powerhouse conference.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Off the top of my head, I know Mississippi State made it in the 90's (1996?), as did LSU a few times, and I think Georgia may have made it as well. Tennessee and Alabama have come close a few times.

Thats actually not bad for a Football powerhouse conference.
Around 2006/2007 Florida was basically running both football and basketball.

This game is mercifully over. Congrats to Villanova and Jay Wright

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad