2017-18 NBA regular season thread

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Well that's the formula to get good in the NBA.

I'll take the current Sixers and how they got here over the post-Iverson, Iguodala + Webber/Brand/etc 40 win 7th/8th seed mediocrity any day.

Is this really true, though? Look at the playoff contenders in the past few years. None of them were truly built through stockpiling high draft picks:

Warriors: Curry at 7th was the highest pick among their core. Thompson at 11th and Green was a second rounder. KD via free agency.

Spurs: Have not had a lottery pick in forever. Kawhi was a 15th pick and he was acquired on draft day.

Rockets: Harden was traded for. And Howard was signed via free agency. And now Cp3, who was acquired via trade. The only draftee in their starting lineup was a late 1st round pick (Capela).

Cavaliers: Well, you can say that LeBron was drafted by them but he was a free agent signing in his second stint as a Cav. Kyrie then became the Robin. Of course, they had two more number 1s but they used them as assets to trade for Kevin Love.

Celtics: Their mini rebuild after the Big3 era didn't last long as they were back to contending in a hurry. Who led them back to the playoffs? Some guy they acquired via trade, IT. They also signed free agent Al Horford. Now of couse, they have Kyrie.

Raptors: DeRozan was drafted 9th. Then they acquired late-bloomer Kyle Lowry.

The only argument you can make for tanking for high picks is the late 2000s and early 2010s Thunder. So yeah, I don't believe getting high picks is the only way to get better in the NBA.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Wolves have hit the skids as of late for sure. They were doing good in the early part of the season but have now hit the skids, wonder if they get it back together for the playoffs, should they make it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Warriors should be sitting anyone that is even partially banged up. They're not catching Houston for 1st, and they aren't going to be caught by any team behind them for 2nd.

I think GS would badly like to play San Antonio, though. That's a 4 game sweep waiting to happen.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Is this really true, though? Look at the playoff contenders in the past few years. None of them were truly built through stockpiling high draft picks:

Warriors: Curry at 7th was the highest pick among their core. Thompson at 11th and Green was a second rounder. KD via free agency.

Spurs: Have not had a lottery pick in forever. Kawhi was a 15th pick and he was acquired on draft day.

Rockets: Harden was traded for. And Howard was signed via free agency. And now Cp3, who was acquired via trade. The only draftee in their starting lineup was a late 1st round pick (Capela).

Cavaliers: Well, you can say that LeBron was drafted by them but he was a free agent signing in his second stint as a Cav. Kyrie then became the Robin. Of course, they had two more number 1s but they used them as assets to trade for Kevin Love.

Celtics: Their mini rebuild after the Big3 era didn't last long as they were back to contending in a hurry. Who led them back to the playoffs? Some guy they acquired via trade, IT. They also signed free agent Al Horford. Now of couse, they have Kyrie.

Raptors: DeRozan was drafted 9th. Then they acquired late-bloomer Kyle Lowry.

The only argument you can make for tanking for high picks is the late 2000s and early 2010s Thunder. So yeah, I don't believe getting high picks is the only way to get better in the NBA.
This argument is hard to make. Let's use lottery picks the team had in the last 10 years whether acquired via trade or traded away (because you have to include the trade value of having an early pick):

Warriors: 4 (2012, 2011, 2009, 2008)
Spurs: 0
Rockets: 4 (2013, 2012, 2011, 2010)
Cavaliers: 5 (2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2011) They also used the trade value of 2018.
Celtics: 4 (2017, 2016, 2014, 2013)
Raptors: 6 (2016, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009)
Portland: 5 (2017, 2013, 2012, 2012, 2008)

Now let's look at players who were lottery picks, so we can see the talent irregardless of how it came to the team:

Warriors: 5 (Curry, Thompson, Durant, Livingston, Iguodala)
Spurs: 3 (Aldridge, Gasol, Gay)
Rockets: 5 (Gordon, Harden, Paul, Johnson, Nene)
Cavaliers: 4 (James, Thompson, Green, Love)
Celtics: 8 (Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Smart, Hayward, Horford, Monroe, Morris)
Raptors: 3 (Pöltl, DeRozan, Valanciunas)
TrailBlazers: 8 (McCollum, Lillard, Collins, Aminu, Davis, Leonard, Papagiannis, Turner)

Also the Wizards are another example of a team that built via the draft, but I didn't include them even though I should have.

Essentially, lottery picks are where most of the elite talent comes from. There are, of course, exceptions (Draymond, Giannis, Kawhi - although the latter two were 15th overall), but most of the elite talent in the league are early draft picks. Hence the value, whether used via trade or via the draft. Obviously not all these players listed are critical to the team, but you can see that a lot of talent is in the lottery hence why it makes sense to tank.

Or if you want to look at this another way, you can look at players in the lottery who have made all NBA teams vs those out. Note, this doesn't include guys who just made the All Star, not all NBA such as Beal and Hayward. I'm starting earlier cause that's where a lot of still elite players are:

In: James, Anthony, Wade, Bosh (4)
Out: N/A (0)

In: Howard (1)
Out: Jefferson (1)

In: Bogut, Williams, Paul, Bynum (4)
Out: Lee (1)

In: Aldridge, Roy (2)
Out: Rondo (1)

In: Durant, Horford, Noah (3)
Out: Gasol (1)

In: Rose, Westbrook, Love (3)
Out: Jordan, Dragic (2)

In: Griffin, Harden, Curry, DeRozan (4)

In: Wall, Cousins, George (3)

In: Irving, Thompson (2)
Out: Kawhi, Butler, IT (3)

In: Davis, Lillard, Drummond (3)
Out: Draymond (1)

In: N/A (0)
Out: Gobert, Giannis (2)

2014-17: None (0/0)

Total
In: 29
Out: 12

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Long story short, lottery picks have a lot of value because 1) you can trade them and 2) that's where a lot of elite talent comes from.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Long story short, lottery picks have a lot of value because 1) you can trade them and 2) that's where a lot of elite talent comes from.
Which is why I’m super excited for this year’s draft from a Clippers perspective. Looking like they’ll have 2 lottery picks, granted late but still.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Well yea, but their point was if you look at the contenders/recent champions, none sucked absolute crap for years (like the Sixers did) to get where they are now. Except Cleveland I guess, who deliberately tanked in the post LBJ years (didn't have a choice tho).

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Well yea, but their point was if you look at the contenders/recent champions, none sucked absolute crap for years (like the Sixers did) to get where they are now. Except Cleveland I guess, who deliberately tanked in the post LBJ years (didn't have a choice tho).

Portland did. But that’s not the point. The point is that a lot of those teams didn’t have to. Like Boston. They got the picks without having to tank.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
hip surgery for IT. done for the year

can't help but feel bad for the guy. this couldn't happen at a worse time

guy just can't catch a break

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

The possibility of him needing surgery was raised after the Celtics traded him. He should have had it done then. Might as well get it done now so he can be ready for next season.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Hard to believe but the Warriors' loss column is no longer a teenager for the first time since 2014. 20th loss tonight.
I don't think they care about what their record is. 20 years ago the team witht he best record was usually the champion. Now players need rest and don't want to jeopardize getting injured. The GSW broke the regular season record but couldn't win the championship that season.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The team has had injuries this year to a few key players. Wonder how that bodes for the team in the playoffs.

1st round shouldn't be an issue with KD/Klay/Draymond. I think they could win in R2 without Curry as well.

He kept talking about how hes getting a max contract and he wouldn't settle for less... maybe its karma? :dunno: Cavs should have never made the Irving trade, his hip issues were already known at that point.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
1st round shouldn't be an issue with KD/Klay/Draymond. I think they could win in R2 without Curry as well.

He kept talking about how hes getting a max contract and he wouldn't settle for less... maybe its karma? :dunno: Cavs should have never made the Irving trade, his hip issues were already known at that point.
I can't really stand Thomas. He comes off so much better than he is for a defensive liability.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't feel sorry for IT too much. "I ain't no 6th man" "Back up the brinks truck" etc, etc.

He's not going to be signing with a contending team this summer, that's for sure.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad