Line Combos: 2017-18 Lineup

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the hype of JFK. I just don't see it. He's young and can still continue to develop his game, but to me, he slots in as pretty much nothing more than a JAG type of player. I'd say the same thing about Heinan too. I just don't see it yet. Maybe in time, but now? Not even close, IMO.

you could very well be right LS but I view it a touch differently, as of right now, with the personnel the B`s are going to ice tonight, I think players like Frankie and Beleskey shouldn`t be at the rink tonight for anything other than as seat fillers upstairs and I would prefer Heinen over either of those two.

JFK I can`t comment on as I have not seen him play anywhere near enough to come here and offer thoughts on but I like the simplicity of Heinen`s game. I don`t think he`ll ever be one of those players who dazzles you but just does things quietly and well. Time will tell

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Just curious, seems like a lot of people are slotting Jake in the 3rd line with Cehlarik riding on the 2nd. From what I've seen this year so far, Jake seems to be playing really well with Krejci? Personally I think that 2nd line LW spot is his to lose, and shouldn't lose it based on Cehlarik's start in Providence..

Reactions: Mainehockey33

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
correct in assuming you`d kick Beleskey upstairs for White?

I`m not at all opposed to trying White, I`m just concerned he`s incapable of playing with physicality while remaining disciplined which has been a big issue for him

I’m not as big on an enforcer type as some here, but I have seen White compared to Rinaldo (not you), which is ridiculous.

White has been suspended by the league once, back in 2013. Rinaldo has been suspended four times in the NHL and been involved in a plethora of incidents. White has put up 9 goals and 11 goals the last two seasons, while Rinaldo never put up more than 3. White is not going to be a savior/saint, but he’s nowhere near as undisciplined as ZR.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not campaigning for Vatrano as I'm sort of neutral on him at this point. But, if he does what he does best, score goals, in the next few days, you'll see the Frankie V disparagement quickly fade away around here.

Based on his skill level and earlier production, I give him more than four games to play himself off this roster. In fact, he has impressed with improved play in the defensive zone.

For Frankie to stay in the lineup, he needs to do what he "does best" or he`ll quickly find a seat upstairs IMO. The biggest challenge FV has now is this organization has quickly put itself in a position where they have viable options to replace a guy who`s struggling whereas the last few years, they had a cupboard that was pretty empty, now isn`t the time for FV to go scoreless.

4 games, 0 pts, -2 with 3 shots on goal, not anywhere close to being good enough

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I have never seen a Bruins lineup with so many potential moving pieces. I mean you've got the Marchand-Bergy duo, and then Krejci centering his line, and basically musical chairs for the other 9 slots.

I would try:

Marchand - Bergeron - Bjork
Cehlarik - Krejci - Pastrnak
Debrusk - Kuraly - Backes
Schaller - Nash - White

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m not as big on an enforcer type as some here, but I have seen White compared to Rinaldo (not you), which is ridiculous.

White has been suspended by the league once, back in 2013. Rinaldo has been suspended four times in the NHL and been involved in a plethora of incidents. White has put up 9 goals and 11 goals the last two seasons, while Rinaldo never put up more than 3. White is not going to be a savior/saint, but he’s nowhere near as undisciplined as ZR.

I`m not a massive fan of White and if he were to be signed on and helps the team while not taking undisciplined penalties, I`ll gladly come on and eat more crow. He`s not close to being Rinaldo undisciplined and he definitely has more offense in his game, but just watching him over the years, he`s just taken penalties at such horrible times and not the hitting from behind or dirty stuff, just undisciplined one`s.

We`ll see, I`ll accept anyone on the team who makes them better, not sure White does that but maybe we`ll see

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
you could very well be right LS but I view it a touch differently, as of right now, with the personnel the B`s are going to ice tonight, I think players like Frankie and Beleskey shouldn`t be at the rink tonight for anything other than as seat fillers upstairs and I would prefer Heinen over either of those two.

JFK I can`t comment on as I have not seen him play anywhere near enough to come here and offer thoughts on but I like the simplicity of Heinen`s game. I don`t think he`ll ever be one of those players who dazzles you but just does things quietly and well. Time will tell

To me, it's like picking between filtered water and spring water when saying you prefer Heinen over FV or MB. None of them have done really much of anything other than occupy space. So I get why the young guy with AHL options gets sent down instead of the other two, despite the marginal play. Sweeney can't continue to lose assets for nothing, like he's been doing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
To me, it's like picking between filtered water and spring water when saying you prefer Heinen over FV or MB. None of them have done really much of anything other than occupy space. So I get why the young guy with AHL options gets sent down instead of the other two, despite the marginal play. Sweeney can't continue to lose assets for nothing, like he's been doing.

I don`t like losing assets for nothing either, problem or dilemma right now is can we say Frankie is that much of an asset? Beleskey won`t garner much interest from opposing GM`s anytime soon.

Subban never grabbed hold of and held onto that starters role in Providence. I dunno, it`s easy for me to sit at home and play GM, too often I over value a prospect and when they are lost on waivers or what have you I get frustrated like the rest but I wonder out loud what Subban would have fetched on the market if DS started to make calls to opposing GM`s about him? Vatrano too?

I dunno, I think I have higher hopes for Heinen than you do, I think he`ll eventually be that 3rd line winger who can produce 30-40 ish points who the coach can trust on the PK , will play safe and responsible 3 zone hockey. For a 4th or 5th round pick (I believe?) that`s darn good value but we aren`t there yet.

JFK, as I mentioned, not a clue, hoping to read about his game developing nicely in Providence as the year progresses like DeBrusk and Heinen`s seemed to and maybe push for that 3rd line C position next year.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The fact that we are still not playing Backes at center pisses me off. Why would we give him 6 mil per to play a position he never played? He's a big shut down center man who would allow us to roll three super lines. You could even build a line around him that could take some defensive pressure off Bergeron and let us match the top line vs crappier lines to enhance our scoring chances.

Reactions: DKH and LSCII

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not campaigning for Vatrano as I'm sort of neutral on him at this point. But, if he does what he does best, score goals, in the next few days, you'll see the Frankie V disparagement quickly fade away around here.

Based on his skill level and earlier production, I give him more than four games to play himself off this roster. In fact, he has impressed with improved play in the defensive zone.

Cassidy just isn't a fan for whatever reason.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The fact that we are still not playing Backes at center pisses me off. Why would we give him 6 mil per to play a position he never played? He's a big shut down center man who would allow us to roll three super lines. You could even build a line around him that could take some defensive pressure off Bergeron and let us match the top line vs crappier lines to enhance our scoring chances.

Yeah I'm with you. To me the only reasons to sign him were if you saw him as Krejci's RW or you wanted 3 strong centers down the middle. Those are the only explanations for acquiring the player, let alone paying that much for that long. And now he's on the 3rd line and not even playing center? What's the story behind this? If this is as simple as "this is where he fits best for us at this point", then this signing was even worse than I thought.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I don't get that either. Put him at center and move on.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yeah I'm with you. To me the only reasons to sign him were if you saw him as Krejci's RW or you wanted 3 strong centers down the middle. Those are the only explanations for acquiring the player, let alone paying that much for that long. And now he's on the 3rd line and not even playing center? What's the story behind this? If this is as simple as "this is where he fits best for us at this point", then this signing was even worse than I thought.

I don't get that either. Put him at center and move on.

We have young, hungry wingers. They used him as a wing and it was OK, not great. You aren't going to use him as a top 6 RW then play the former all star center at f***ing center. It's not rocket science. He's to slow to be an up and down banger at RW, plus we need him to score. To put him on a line with a Schaller and Kuraly is insane. It makes him a 6 million dollar third line checking winger. Makes zero sense. I really must be missing something. I get it with Spooner, because he can't play wing. Spooner is out weeks, if not months, and to be honest it's time to put Ryan in the failed projects bin.

I'd love to see

63-37-10
83-46-88
74-42-43
59-52-20

Reactions: HustleB and LSCII

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
They could solve the third line center dilemma if they just put Backes there. For 6mil a year he should play where ever they tell him too. Don't care if he feels like he is not comfortable there, the dude was a selke worthy center. He should be fine

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
On the STL board, they all thought he looked better when he moved to RW the end of his last season there.

I've long been a promoter of Backes in the middle, still am, I believe you build your line-up up the middle, get that solved, worry what wingers play with who after.

It's a mystery to me why this team is so reluctant to use him there considering the others options they've had, all bad ones IMO.

That being said, during his last playoff run in St. Louis, where to my eyes he was their best player during that run (watched most of their games), he was doing it at RW.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
LWCRW
B. MarchandP. Bergeron (A)A. Bjork
P. CehlarikD. Krejci (A)D. Pastrnak
J. DeBruskS. KuralyD. Backes
D. HeinenR. NashT. Schaller
-- extra--M. BeleskeyF. Vatrano
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

hopefully Cehlarik and Heinen called back up soon. But this is the way I see it by midseason (expecting Spooner to take much longer to recover from that injury than 4-6 weeks)

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
LWCRW
B. MarchandP. Bergeron (A)A. Bjork
P. CehlarikD. Krejci (A)D. Pastrnak
J. DeBruskS. KuralyD. Backes
D. HeinenR. NashT. Schaller
-- extra--M. BeleskeyF. Vatrano
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
hopefully Cehlarik and Heinen called back up soon. But this is the way I see it by midseason (expecting Spooner to take much longer to recover from that injury than 4-6 weeks)
Just a question, but why not have Backes center DeBrusk and Heinen?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
With Krejci and now Vatrano out ...well Krejci possibly for the next game

Finally get to see a Cehlarik sighting?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Vancouver isnt the biggest test in the world... neither is exhibition... but bjork is close to cementing himself as the ONLY LOGICAL CHOICE to play with bergeron and marchand. Obviously pastrnak looks great here but we need a minimum of 2 scoring lines.

Krejci/pastrnak dont mesh great yet but they got talent enough they should... who is their ideal 3rd linemate? I personally try spooner first. Try to salvage some value. If he falters we can try cehlarik. we can try agostino. We can always pickup someone at deadline too.

I am in favor of moving debrusk onto line with backes. I think we have a chance at a better than average 3rd line. If kuraly plays well let him be here too. If not then we might look at jfk after christmas

On 4th line i am hoping accarri gets healthy and plays... nash and schaller dont hurt us... belesky is around... lots of kids in providence are ready for 4th line auditions

I think vatrano should return to ahl... let him rip it up and hopefully build some trade value. I think he will clear waivers.

Id shop spooner... but doubt id find a taker. If i can move him i would

Id be willing to give belesky away and package a mid round pick if anyone would take him,

The good news is our kids are making spooner/vatrano/belesky expendable.

If we could save 4 mill cap space by dressing 2 kids instead of spooner/vatrano then we could replace miller or mcquaid with a 6 mill per year stud top 4 dman too

We got sooooo many good looking kids we can trade a couple and still have more than we need

Heinen/lauzon or lingren thrown together with our first round pick... go shopping for a stud vetern dman...

I think theres potential we could find a fit

Time is becoming our friend. Couple years ago it looked like our window was closing. But kids like mcavoy, carlo, pastrnak, bjork, debrusk have jammed it back open. If we have 2 or 3 more suucess hits we are going to have one of the best young nucleus in nhl... and our vets like bergeron and marchand have never been better

Get rask straightened out... maybe add that one updrade dman... and we might be contending as early as this april

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have never seen a Bruins lineup with so many potential moving pieces. I mean you've got the Marchand-Bergy duo, and then Krejci centering his line, and basically musical chairs for the other 9 slots.

I would try:

Debrusk - Kuraly - Backes
Schaller - Nash - White
Like the description

Agree on the Backes assessment

I figured if Spooner is traded or struggles you make Backes the Joel Otto big center

I don't get this one either

He plays third line center if he can't mesh with DK

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk- Krejci- Pastrnak
Heinen-Backes - Cehlarik

4 vets and 5 kids great balance

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
5F8F3227-1975-44F3-AAB7-39FF5D0F063F.jpeg

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Like the description

Agree on the Backes assessment

I figured if Spooner is traded or struggles you make Backes the Joel Otto big center

I don't get this one either

He plays third line center if he can't mesh with DK

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk- Krejci- Pastrnak
Heinen-Backes - Cehlarik

4 vets and 5 kids great balance
I like that lineup, maybe a tweak on it could be

Heinen - Backes - Vatrano
DeBrusk - Nash - Schaller
(White as the extra when they need sandpaper)

Chara - Mac
Krug - Carlo
O'Gara - Miller
(Potsie)

Dobby - Zane

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad