2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I can't recall Pearson ever being on RW but those lines are godawful. Stevens doing his best to sabotage our run. "gonna trade for this defensive, faceoff winning 4C....and play him on 3LW." **** off.

Yeah I'm going to be so pissed if he rolls these lines. You don't experiment during crunch time having a lw play rw for the first time.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't get the complaints about lines. You never know what will work, and if things don't work, the lines aren't set in stone.

Why start yourself with a handicap, especially one with no rhyme or reason? It's not like these are 'safe' road lines designed to guard against matchups or spread depth scoring, they're identityless entities and players out of position and out of their depth.

RONNIEC

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles
Don't get the complaints about lines. You never know what will work, and if things don't work, the lines aren't set in stone.

Kopi and DB found their chemistry again this season... so the lineup does mean something.

JC and AK would be (and should be) a good combo also because AK can create space by his speed and stick handling, while JC is hot on scoring goals since his return.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
FlippantCompassionateAsianporcupine-size_restricted.gif

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I mean, if you're gonna go full blender, try guys out in their correct roles at least.

Kempe-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Carter-Toffoli
Pearson-Amadio-Reider
Clifford-Thompson-Mitchell

Still not ideal but at least there's a thought process.
Yeah, there's different ways to shake things up. Stevens is trying to get too cute

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Why start yourself with a handicap, especially one with no rhyme or reason? It's not like these are 'safe' road lines designed to guard against matchups or spread depth scoring, they're identityless entities and players out of position and out of their depth.

The 1st line is the 1st line for most of the season. There's a question of which lineup is right, is Pearson on the left or the right? One guy has it one way, another guy has it another way. Maybe he was on the right in practice just to get all of their attention. Maybe it's to make the Avs think for a minute. Maybe it was a mistake by a reporter. Maybe he will play on the right side. I'm guessing Thompson is where he is because Kempe and Toffoli haven't been digging pucks out lately. The 4th line is pretty standard.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I imagine Stevens is just trying to balance out the scoring by having Toffoli on the 3rd line with Kempe. He's also probably praying Carter can get Rieder a goal and hopefully get him some confidence. Sutter would do that all the time with guys. Put slumping scorer with Kopitar or Carter and hope they can get one and get going.

The 1st line is the 1st line for most of the season. There's a question of which lineup is right, is Pearson on the left or the right? One guy has it one way, another guy has it another way. Maybe he was on the right in practice just to get all of their attention. Maybe it's to make the Avs think for a minute. Maybe it was a mistake by a reporter. Maybe he will play on the right side. I'm guessing Thompson is where he is because Kempe and Toffoli haven't been digging pucks out lately. The 4th line is pretty standard.

Rieder is probably on the right. He can play both wings. Pearson never has in the NHL ( or least not that I can remember). No reason why Pearson would be if he isn't comfortable while Rieder is.

Reactions: RONNIEC

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I imagine Stevens is just trying to balance out the scoring by having Toffoli on the 3rd line with Kempe. He's also probably praying Carter can get Rieder a goal and hopefully get him some confidence. Sutter would do that all the time with guys. Put slumping scorer with Kopitar or Carter and hope they can get one and get going.
Kempe has been with Toffoli. Same with Carter and Reider. And while Reider has no business with Carter it appears, it's some of the other players slotted where they are this evening that are even more confounding.

KingsFan7824 did make some valid counterpoints. Still think it could be blended a little more deftly.

RONNIEC

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles

Rieder is probably on the right. He can play both wings. Pearson never has in the NHL ( or least not that I can remember). No reason why Pearson would be if he isn't comfortable while Rieder is.

By doing this, seems like we are trying to get the players to score, not really to get the team to get the 2 points/a win.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I'll remember how little of a big deal it is when I'm watching Mackinnon-Rantanen-Landeskog-Barrie-Zadorov skate circles against Thompson-Kempe-Toffoli-Muzzin-Folin tonight on a 4-in-6 at mile high stadium (9th game in 15 nights).

It's just a really stupid time to get so cute with the lineup.

Reider with Carter is trash. Thompson on 3LW is trash. Everything else is various shades of whatever. It might change throughout the game, but that doesn't look to do anything to get us going in the first period. No wonder we have better 3rd periods, the bench gets shortened so Stevens can stop shooting himself in the face with stupid lineup decisions.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Rieder in the top six reminds me of when Andy Murray would insert Craig Johnson in the top six.

Johnson Makes Impact on Line With Robitaille

"I don't want to play with anybody on a line who doesn't want to score," Robitaille said. "There are plenty of opportunities."

King Coach Andy Murray agreed.

"When we moved C.J., we had more expectations of his offense," he said.

Murray moved Johnson into the line with Robitaille and Steve Reinprecht to replace Jason Blake, who had a three-game trial in replacing injured Glen Murray. Johnson, whose forte is speed and whose reputation is that of not being a finisher, stayed just as fast, but also had three points in his first four games, two of them coming on goals.

One was against the New York Rangers. The other came against Dallas on Thursday when Johnson had the puck on right wing on a two-on-one break against the Stars' Derian Hatcher. Robitaille was on the other wing, and the expectation of just about everybody in the building was that he would get the puck and the shot.

Instead, Johnson fired it into the net for only his third goal of the season.

"You think maybe Luc will want a new linemate?" Johnson said, laughing.

Not really.

"He did what he was supposed to do," Robitaille said.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
By doing this, seems like we are trying to get the players to score, not really to get the team to get the 2 points/a win.
Stevens can always change the lines depending on how the game goes. Didn't we see Brown-Kopitar-Carter a couple games ago for most of the 3rd period?

Reactions: RONNIEC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad