2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Even if he were to be in-and-out of the lineup as he gets acclimated to the pro game, it would still be better for his development to be up here, IMO.

Don't care if it burns a year off his ELC. I'd prefer him be up with the pro training staff, strength and conditioning guys etc...while learning from pros like Carter and Brown about how to be an NHL player.
I tend to agree. In this kid's case, I don't think dominating the OHL is going to help his development all that much.

I don't think he will play 82 games in the NHL next season, but if he breaks in playing 55-60 games that's fine.

Vilardi can also go down and play in the AHL playoffs next year if the opportunity presents itself, and that would also be a good developmental experience for him.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
A 20 year old Barzal , Rantanen , and many others are dominating in the league this year. It's a youngins game nowadays , I actually expect Vilardi to score 60+ points in his first year whether that's next year or when he is 20.
I wouldn't count on this, but it's possible. Vilardi is going to only be 19 years old for the entire 2018-19 season. He doesn't have the same skating ability and strength as Kopitar did at that age.

Kopitar was probably around 6-3 and 220 lbs when he was 19, and had played a full season against men in the SEL. He scored 61 points in his first season. I don't think Vilardi is in his class.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
A 20 year old Barzal , Rantanen , and many others are dominating in the league this year. It's a youngins game nowadays , I actually expect Vilardi to score 60+ points in his first year whether that's next year or when he is 20.
It's not a "youngins" game. It's a game built on speed, which Vilardi greatly lacks.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I also don't think Vilardi is ready for an 82 game season. Iafallo had to sit for stretches and was just recently scratched in order to rest him. And Iafallo doesn't have the recent injury history that Vilardi has.

I am willing to be proven wrong but I don't expect him to play the full schedule.

Reactions: KINGS17

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
If I had to choose a line up...

Brown--Kopitar--Carter
Pearson--Kempe--Toffoli
Iafallo--Vilardi--Lewis
Clifford--Amaido--Brodzinski
Thompson, Rieder

Forbort--Doughty
Phaneuf--Martinez
Muzzin--LaDue
Gravel, Voynov (Suspension)

Quick
Campbell

Just a lineup that gives you a lot of flexibility

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
and the speed is different between OHL and NHL.

True but apparently his hockey IQ is off the charts and gets raved about . If so I think our development team and coaches can get him to play a fast game . It's about playing fast not being fast. Our team as a whole is not fast with the exception of a few players . They just play faster than previous years . Either way I expect him to exceed expectations .

Reactions: KingTrouty

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
What?

DYx5cl0VQAARn4Y.jpg

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
It's a crappy situation with no AHL access for 19 year olds. The Devils have ruined Pavel Zacha bringing him up early.
Is there anywhere else he can play that would help his development? Or is he stuck in the OHL if he doesn't come to the NHL next season?

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Keeping the cap low helps us. The only teams that benefit from the cap being increased are teams that have a high chance of signing a big name free agent. The Kings have no such luck or ability.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Keeping the cap low helps us. The only teams that benefit from the cap being increased are teams that have a high chance of signing a big name free agent. The Kings have no such luck or ability.
It also helps us re-sign our won (Doughty) and more able to absorb Kopi's contract.

The cap going up certainly helps a team like the Kings that spend, whether it be on our own talent or FA.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Doubt that. He's not a max contract player. But neither is anyone else Since the max number if it's 82 is 16.4m a year. It just makes his 11-12m easier to stomach

As long as his 11-12m doesnt turn into 12-13m. His agent is going use previous contracts / % team cap. I wonder how the numbers stack up

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
what do you think about kempe at this point of the season? in last few games i had this feeling that he might soon start to deliver again. and where to put him in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad