2017-18 Champions Hockey League

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Great atmosphere in Trinec.

Vaxjo looks like the favorite going in to the final imo.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
Well, Liberec never stood a chance.

Damn, I want that CHL win now! We get to play at home too, wont be an easy match for JYP ;)

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Växjö vs JYP an interesting Final. But how much attendance? 500 ;) ? Empty arena!

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
Dont worry. The arena will be filled for the finals. At worst it will be near max cap

Todays game already broke CHL record for växjö

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Glad I decided to watch the JYP/Trinec game when I was scrolling through my channel guide, very entertaining. Looking forward to watching the final.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Congrats to Vaxjo and Jyvaskyla. It was indeed good game in Trinec, it show what it should be like, top team from Extraliga vs Liiga trying their best in good atmosphere + thrilling end. This project have future if all teams take it seriously. And Liberec really don't have form this season, he is currently 12th from 14 extraliga teams. But both team deserve praise for their effort + Sparta last year too.

Reactions: Slimmy

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I will definitely watch the Final, that JYP vs Trinec 2nd leg was a classic, what a game that was!!!
I really think overtime the CHL will become more and more popular with hockey fans.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
But it's also a problem when the four best teams are from Třinec, Jyväskylä, Växjö, and Liberec. These are really small markets and will not keep a tournament of this scale alive for long.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Still the money has to come from somewhere, the sponsors need exposure and for that you need locations and teams that actually interest someone.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I will definitely watch the Final, that JYP vs Trinec 2nd leg was a classic, what a game that was!!!
I really think overtime the CHL will become more and more popular with hockey fans.
Good to hear even fans from NA like it. Whats your opinion about quality of hockey?

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Prize money has to go up steadily in the future, that's the only thing that will keep clubs interested (obviously).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Still the money has to come from somewhere, the sponsors need exposure and for that you need locations and teams that actually interest someone.
On one hand, it's true but on the other, the attraction and goal of the CHL at this stage should be getting to want people to see their country win. Is it Vaxjo, or Frolunda, or Djurgardens shouldn't really matter.

It's also not like football where teams have fans all over the world. I don't think someone in Germany cares if it's Trinec, or HIFK, or Bern, or Sparta. Considering how many familiar names there are on Trinec roster they would probably even take it over others.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
But is that realistic at all? I mean, how many people in Stockholm/Gothenburg are potentially interested in cheering for Växjö or in Helsinki/Tampere for JYP? I think the inevitable result is that people outside Växjö and Jyväskylä just don't care.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
Im pretty sure the finns will cheer for Jyp. They want their countrys team to win, doesnt matter who it is

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Good to hear even fans from NA like it. Whats your opinion about quality of hockey?
The quality is very good, im a big fan of European hockey, I watch games from different domestic leagues across Europe online. I like the big ice, i like the fans singing, flag waving, drum playing, its a great atmosphere. And for me the CHL is a must for European hockey, they must be an European club champion, it will take time, but i really believe in the CHL moving forward.

Reactions: Slimmy and Jablkon

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But is that realistic at all? I mean, how many people in Stockholm/Gothenburg are potentially interested in cheering for Växjö or in Helsinki/Tampere for JYP? I think the inevitable result is that people outside Växjö and Jyväskylä just don't care.
Well Lithuania is a basketball country but I think it still applies - if any team of ours plays in the international competition we support it and want it to win. Like lakers11 said, same in Finland. Maybe it's different in the bigger countries. Or countries that don't care about hockey, it's harder to see as a big deal in that case.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Well Lithuania is a basketball country but I think it still applies - if any team of ours plays in the international competition we support it and want it to win. Like lakers11 said, same in Finland. Maybe it's different in the bigger countries. Or countries that don't care about hockey, it's harder to see as a big deal in that case.

I don't think it's true in Finland for a team like JYP, even most sports fans just couldn't care less about how they are doing. It wouldn't be easy for HIFK, Kärpät, Tappara who have much larger fan bases and better brands, but in the case of a grey mouse countryside team like JYP it's doomed. Växjö isn't really any better.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's not about a team, it's about wanting your country to succeed. Surely they don't care as long as it's not an international tournament. But when it is they do. As long as they care for hockey at all. Ir becomes a thing of national importance. Maybe it really is that different in Germany.

Also, like I said, what does "better brand" do exactly? It's not like any Finnish team are known at all outside of Finland. The fact that it's Finns against Swedes give the CHL exposure, not that it's team A vs. team B.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad