Oct 15, 2017
Semifinal appearance since founding CHL:
1., Sweden 7x
2, Finland 4x
3. Czech 3x
4. Swiss 2x

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I guess owners want to win it. They probably wont make any big impact in extraliga this year so they take this one. So if Lakers win they will play final at home as they have more points from group than Trinec and JYP?
I think it's Vaxjo, Jyvaskyla, Liberec and Trinec in that order.

Edit:
I was wrong. It is actually Trinec, Vaxjo, Jyvaskyla and Liberec right now, but it can change. The final will be played on the home ice of team who has better record in the tournament on February 6, 2018.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Interesting article on the CHL by Zaugg, here. He summed up, what many people think.

- Can you imagine soccer teams to declare "we take UEFA Champions League seriously" before every season? Hockey teams doing it with the CHL. So, it signals they do not take the CHL seriously.
- The CHL is not a business for the clubs
- The CHL´s presence at TV is minimal
- No KHL at the CHL, another serious mistake by the CHL management

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
so I ended up making this a thread on it's own, but since I found a place to put it, i'll just coped what I placed there to see what opinions people have towards it.

Recently the NHL Network has been airing some Champions Hockey League action, and it actually gives me some consistent viewing of international hockey and the way it's played.

As I'm (at the time) watching Brno vs JYP, I feel like the bigger ice surface makes the game look 'slower'. I understand it's not NHL quality players but I'm starting to feel like a bigger ice surface makes more 'dead ice' space come alive a lot more.

I also feel as though in international hockey, cheap shots come along more frequently than in the NHL, although with a bigger ice surface I'm not sure how well a (for example) Milan Lucic, would fare in the bigger ice surface.

anyone else have any thoughts?

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
It's cool that the NHL Network is airing Champ HL games so that our NA brothers and sister get exposed to European hockey.
I think the slow pace you experience has more to do with the televised product more than the bigger ice surface, however.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
It's cool that the NHL Network is airing Champ HL games so that our NA brothers and sister get exposed to European hockey.
I think the slow pace you experience has more to do with the televised product more than the bigger ice surface, however.

That and in the Brynas game one team or the other was on the powerplay non-stop
Interesting article on the CHL by Zaugg, here. He summed up, what many people think.

- Can you imagine soccer teams to declare "we take UEFA Champions League seriously" before every season? Hockey teams doing it with the CHL. So, it signals they do not take the CHL seriously.
- The CHL is not a business for the clubs
- The CHL´s presence at TV is minimal
- No KHL at the CHL, another serious mistake by the CHL management

It needs time to grow, and the TV presence is certainly growing.

They've tried to get the KHL to join, haven't been able to reach a compromise. The KHL lost in the CHL in 2009, and they're afraid that will happen again and they can't claim to be "the best hockey in Europe".
But until the KHl cares to prove otherwise CHL>>KHL

:naughty:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

They've tried to get the KHL to join, haven't been able to reach a compromise. The KHL lost in the CHL in 2009, and they're afraid that will happen again and they can't claim to be "the best hockey in Europe".

There was/is an KHL´s offer to the CHL to play one or two games, to test the market if there would be any interest among fans/media/sponsors. The CHL has always refused it.

The problem is lack of money in the CHL, an inferior on/off ice product & schedulling of the CHL during EHT breaks.

The KHL does not need to participate in the CHL. On the other hand, the CHL is losing a prestige without the KHL in the competition.

As you know, both KHL teams won their groups & met in playoffs (SF) in 2008. No other league had two teams in SF.

If the KHL afraid of losing to Euro teams, there would not be any exhibition games between KHL & Euro teams during summer or at the Spengler Cup or HC Davos playing in Astana.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

He also probably doesn't know what the English thought about the UCL predecessor, the European Cup, at first...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
He also probably doesn't know what the English thought about the UCL predecessor, the European Cup, at first...
English team joined in 2nd season. We have 3rd CHL season & no KHL team. How long do you want to wait? A decade?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
English team joined in 2nd season. We have 3rd CHL season & no KHL team. How long do you want to wait? A decade?

Joined yes, but they did not think highly of the tournament. You might want to watch the film United (about Manchester United and the München air disaster. There was a scene where the club bosses talk with the FA on the phone about participation in Europe.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Joined yes, but they did not think highly of the tournament. You might want to watch the film United (about the Manchester Untied and the München air disaster. There was a scene where the club bosses talk with the FA on the phone about participation in Europe.
And the KHL has not joined (& will not) ... see the difference?

Your example with England/United can be compared with Hradec Kralove/Brynas talking about the CHL, but not with the KHL. Totally different things.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And the KHL has not joined (& will not) ... see the difference?

Your example with England/United can be compared with Hradec Kralove/Brynas talking about the CHL, but not with the KHL. Totally different things.

As usual you're missing the point. English clubs didn't think highly of the European Cup, despite taking part in it, in it's early years. We all know what it's developed into after several decades.

Last edited:

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
As usual you're missing the point. English clubs didn't ink highly of the European Cup, despite taking part in it, in it's early years. We all know what it's developed into after several decades.

That and any time someone points out that the CHL is a tournament and the KHL is a league he just pretends it was written in a voodoo language and goes back to his "everybody get behind KHL or else" narrative

Reactions: Slimmy

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Personally my ideal scenario would be to break it off into 3 or 4 divisions with 4 or so teams emerging from each. So a division of Eastern Europe (KHL) central/Western Europe (Czech/Swiss/German/Slovak etc) and northern (Finland/Sweden/Denmark/Norway

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
A Swedish journalist realised the CHL´s scheduling problem. Here.

The part you didn't want to be brought up or read:

Man skulle kunna hävda att det är avsaknaden av KHL-lag, som har de mest namnkunniga lagen i Europa, som gör att det inte lyfter. Men låt oss vara så ärliga vi kan: Det hade inte hjälpt speciellt mycket om det hade varit KHL-lag med och spelat här.

The part I've been saying all along about scheduling:

Men klubbarna har sig själva att skylla att det blir så här. De hade inte behövt att lägga matcherna under landslagsuppehållen. Någonstans blir det ju uppenbart att det på ett eller annat sätt är något ordentligt fel i planeringen.

Eventhough the article doesn't mention it by name, everyone knows the Finnish league is the biggest problem by insisting on a 60 game regular season(fans and players would have no problem if they reduced it by 4-5 games).

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The part you didn't want to be brought up or read:

The part I've been saying all along about scheduling:

Eventhough the article doesn't mention it by name, everyone knows the Finnish league is the biggest problem by insisting on a 60 game regular season(fans and players would have no problem if they reduced it by 4-5 games).

They did not have to put the matches during the national team break.

The journalist did not write it (does not know?) but the biggest problem with scheduling is a position of European federations/leagues on IIHF calendar. They refused the KHL´s proposal to reform the IIHF scheduling. Now, they (the CHL) have to put their CHL games at IIHF international break, because there is not other time for it. The saddest part is they do not realise they made a mistake in the past. Your the Finnish league´s scheduling problem, if reduced by 4-5 games, would not improve the CHL scheduling at all. You do not want to talk about it, I know....

The guy is talking about the KHL from Swedish perspective. As we know, the Swedish fans do not like international games as the CHL has shown. He assumes that the Swedish fans would behave the same with the KHL teams. On the other hand, he said SKA is more attractive than Bern or Liberec. Why? Bern & Liberec are considered as one of the best teams of their respective leagues, like SKA. From that point of view, there is no difference between them, they all are one of the best in their leagues. Or the KHL has more prestige? Even in Sweden?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
The journalist did not write it (does not know?) but the biggest problem with scheduling is a position of European federations/leagues on IIHF calendar. They refused the KHL´s proposal to reform the IIHF scheduling. Now, they (the CHL) have to put their CHL games at IIHF international break, because there is not other time for it. The saddest part is they do not realise they made a mistake in the past. Your the Finnish league´s scheduling problem, if reduced by 4-5 games, would not improve the CHL scheduling at all. You do not want to talk about it, I know....

The guy is talking about the KHL from Swedish perspective. As we know, the Swedish fans do not like international games as the CHL has shown. He assumes that the Swedish fans would behave the same with the KHL teams. On the other hand, he said SKA is more attractive than Bern or Liberec. Why? Bern & Liberec are considered as one of the best teams of their respective leagues, like SKA. From that point of view, there is no difference between them, they all are one of the best in their leagues. Or the KHL has more prestige? Even in Sweden?
I wonder what’s your job and what you are doing in your ordinary life, because your paradigm “we against them” just shines from any of your post. No, czechs have more prestige in Sweden than KHLo_O

bordshockeypampen

Dec 11, 2013
He says that it's stars like Kovalchuk and Datsyuk that would make it possible for SKA to attract more Swedes to the games than Central European teams would. It's not SKA itself or the fact that they are playing in the KHL. He also says he is doubtful that any other KHL team would be more interesting to the Swedes than CHL teams, because the stars of other KHL teams are not famous enough.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder what’s your job and what you are doing in your ordinary life, because your paradigm “we against them” just shines from any of your post. No, czechs have more prestige in Sweden than KHLo_O
The Swedish journalist wrote about the CHL´s scheduling problem. If you agree, that there is a problem, who is to blame for it? How to solve it? And when?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
He says that it's stars like Kovalchuk and Datsyuk that would make it possible for SKA to attract more Swedes to the games than Central European teams would. It's not SKA itself or the fact that they are playing in the KHL. He also says he is doubtful that any other KHL team would be more interesting to the Swedes than CHL teams, because the stars of other KHL teams are not famous enough.
So sign Kovalchuk & Datsyuk´s caliber player. Problem solved.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Well in my social bubble I always thought that lets say first eight or ten KHL teams would be automatically attractive to any fan because they are either strong or famous. This is quite a new for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad