►*Switzerland 4693 (68% of league)
League: 6,882

►*Czech 3593 (69% of league)
League: 5,178

►*Austria 2929 (104% of league)
League: 2,794

►*Germany 3674 (59% of league)
League: 6,198

Edited league averages into the list. Of course this is still somewhat biased as the teams competing in CHL might usually have a much higher attendance then the league average (e.g. in CH the 6 teams that competed last year had more than 8000 on average).

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I don't think SC Bern "supports" the CHL by any means, they just take this whole thing as pre-season games and of course, they try to win them all but just not with the same intensity as they would in the National League. Bern doesn't care if the CHL is doing good or not, they're not doing it for the money -they already own half the town of Bern :laugh: It's pretty much like any other friendly tournament, if they're qualified they'll play in it, if not they'll find an other tournament.

But are you aware that Bern is the partial owner of CHL and one of establishing clubs? I can understand that fans dont care, but this attitude you describing would be first I know about from A licence club. Also, in some preseason interview, Jalonen didn't look he does not want to succeed in CHL or that he is satisfied wiht last year performance.

These complains or bad attitude ussually come from clubs which were forced to play in CHL, but not from original clubs.

Its quite confusing, because when Sparta beat you last year, I thought we were better in both games and it was good hockey. With that, there will always be some bitter taste that you didnt play full throtle. But it definetely didnt look you didnt play for 100 percent.

To be honest,speaking about original clubs from CZ, I dont have any doubt about them. What you saw from Pardubice and Vitkovice was exactly what they were capable of :))

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Edited league averages into the list. Of course this is still somewhat biased as the teams competing in CHL might usually have a much higher attendance then the league average (e.g. in CH the 6 teams that competed last year had more than 8000 on average).

There are also other relevant factors like whether the numbers are tickets sold or the actual attendance. Season tickets and other special categories such as tickets acquired by sponsors may inflate the figures way beyond the actual attendance in some cases.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Got it. There is nothing worse than management not caring for the tournament. Then you can not expect fans to care. They want the CHL to grow, but some teams do not care. A bit complicated to grow the CHL with such an attitude.

HC Davos plays the CHL. What Davos fans say about their participation at tournament in Astana this summer? I read Davos management was positivelly suprised by on/off ice conditions in Astana. HC Davos has been KHL´s long term partner (Spengler Cup, HCD participated at two KHL´s tournaments this summer - senior in Astana & MHL´s Junior Club World Cup as first SUI team in history, rumors about a tournament during Olympics). I do not say HCD going to the KHL. No, I do not say it. I just say that HCD is clever - they cooperate with both the CHL & the KHL - and this attitude should be followed by other European teams if they really care about development of hockey in Europe. You simply can not ignore each other, because of nationality etc. If KHL keeps inviting European teams to KHL´s preseason tournaments, then it could be good for hockey in Europe. If the CHL as entity is not interested in (the KHL), some European clubs might be. Especially if the KHL pays for everything.

I dont see tension here. Lot of KHL clubs used to go Czech Republic on preseason camps and played a lot of friendly matches here. Btw you asked what has changed since 2008. I guess thic concept was also reaction to better quality of nroth american hockey. It was clear that Europe were or still loosing to NA in many aspects. If they made it as an elite tournament, it might have been more attractive for fans. But I guess they really wanted big confrontation to improve hockey quality and share experiences.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Got it. There is nothing worse than management not caring for the tournament. Then you can not expect fans to care. They want the CHL to grow, but some teams do not care. A bit complicated to grow the CHL with such an attitude.

HC Davos plays the CHL. What Davos fans say about their participation at tournament in Astana this summer? I read Davos management was positivelly suprised by on/off ice conditions in Astana. HC Davos has been KHL´s long term partner (Spengler Cup, HCD participated at two KHL´s tournaments this summer - senior in Astana & MHL´s Junior Club World Cup as first SUI team in history, rumors about a tournament during Olympics). I do not say HCD going to the KHL. No, I do not say it. I just say that HCD is clever - they cooperate with both the CHL & the KHL - and this attitude should be followed by other European teams if they really care about development of hockey in Europe. You simply can not ignore each other, because of nationality etc. If KHL keeps inviting European teams to KHL´s preseason tournaments, then it could be good for hockey in Europe. If the CHL as entity is not interested in (the KHL), some European clubs might be. Especially if the KHL pays for everything.

No idea what they thought about this tournament. The thing is, Davos has the Spengler Cup and that's why they have to be "partners" with KHL teams. I actually enjoy the Spengler Cup a whole lot more, it's described as a friendly tournament but still very interesting and enjoyable to watch. KHL teams are always willing to go because it's only a few days and it has a worldwide recognition.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
But are you aware that Bern is the partial owner of CHL and one of establishing clubs? I can understand that fans dont care, but this attitude you describing would be first I know about from A licence club. Also, in some preseason interview, Jalonen didn't look he does not want to succeed in CHL or that he is satisfied wiht last year performance.

These complains or bad attitude ussually come from clubs which were forced to play in CHL, but not from original clubs.

Its quite confusing, because when Sparta beat you last year, I thought we were better in both games and it was good hockey. With that, there will always be some bitter taste that you didnt play full throtle. But it definetely didnt look you didnt play for 100 percent.

To be honest,speaking about original clubs from CZ, I dont have any doubt about them. What you saw from Pardubice and Vitkovice was exactly what they were capable of :))

I ain't no SCB fan! :rant:

Anyway, I doubt they invested a lot of money for this CHL, even if it's a couple of million, that's still not a lot for them and it allows their team to have a proper preparation. Yet I'm still not sure about their exact position as of today and of course, Jalonen is the kind of coach who wants to win every game. I just don't think the board has real expectations for this tournament.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
No idea what they thought about this tournament. The thing is, Davos has the Spengler Cup and that's why they have to be "partners" with KHL teams. I actually enjoy the Spengler Cup a whole lot more, it's described as a friendly tournament but still very interesting and enjoyable to watch. KHL teams are always willing to go because it's only a few days and it has a worldwide recognition.

Thats the thing the Spengler cup has been around since 1923, and its played in one town during the Christmas break, and many people go in Davos for skiing also and go watch hockey at the same time. You just can't compare the CHL and the Spengler cup

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

Sure, I know that the partnership is because of the Spengler Cup. That is OK and nothing stange, there are other teams participating. Not a big deal. But I am suspicious because of following reasons:

- the KHL VP said that the league´s plan is to invite European teams to KHL´s preseason tournaments. Of course, the KHL teams travel to Switzeland, Czech rep, Finland for training camps & play against local teams. But, it is very rare that an European team travels to Russia (or Kazakhstan in this case) to play a few games. I remember only Kolner Haie in Chelyabinsk in 2012.

- The KHL adopted new strategy in May 2017. They want to expand more to European markets (TV). So the league chose to regularly invite (at least the KHL claims it) European clubs to Russia to show them KHL product. But why did the league choose HCD? Good relationship?

- the KHL VP said that Davos plans to host a Olympic tournament with Magnitka, Kunlun RS, HCD & maybe Frolunda as CHL champion. Why Davos to host it? Why not Prague, Zurich or Berlin? Maybe the Spengler Cup experience is an answer.

- HCD played at Junior Club World Cup this summer. The tournament is run by the KHL. Not a big deal with HCD here, there is Swedish, Czech, Finnish etc clubs every summer. But two things are suspicious - Swiss did not have money to travel to JCWC in past (so did miracle happened this summer?) & HCD was not a junior champion 2016/17 (per EP). Usually champions are invited. Why HCD? Why not other team? Maybe the good relationship between HCD & KHL was a reason. Do not know.

That all can be a coincidence. We do not know. Will be interesting to follow which European clubs to come to KHĹ´s preseason tournaments in the future. That could be a good start for cooperation between European clubs & the KHL.

PS: I posted the same to KHL subforum.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Gazprom 2008 CHL had the atmosphere for sure. Hope it developsto something like that.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Which teams have already qualified for the playoff stage? The bracket on the CHL website could be improved upon to show this. It doesn't list Shootout wins/losses but list OT wins/losses. Someone should have noticed this by now.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
Gazprom 2008 CHL had the atmosphere for sure. Hope it developsto something like that.

Besides the money involved and the legitimization to be a "true" European Champions league due to the KHL participation, I think that the timing of the group stage and the KO rounds was detrimental for the success of the old CHL.

The new CHL just starts way to early, teams are not necessarily in their best shape (physically and tactically) and fans are not feeling it because the season did not really start. Maybe they should reconsider to reduce the number of teams, which would allow a later starting date.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Besides the money involved and the legitimization to be a "true" European Champions league due to the KHL participation, I think that the timing of the group stage and the KO rounds was detrimental for the success of the old CHL.

The new CHL just starts way to early, teams are not necessarily in their best shape (physically and tactically) and fans are not feeling it because the season did not really start. Maybe they should reconsider to reduce the number of teams, which would allow a later starting date.

I personally think date is ok. If CHL has to be here, this is the best preseason preparation for teams and they make some money from ticketing. Normally arenas are empty during preseason.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

The league schedules weren't so packed back then. They palyed fewer games in KHL and IIRC Finland as well. KHL regualr season is now 56 games and could be even less next season if more teams drop out. Finnish Liiga hasa 60 regular season which doesn't make any sense when you look at how the public has reacted to it. Fans would be fine with a closer to 50-55 games than 60. It would allow more room for cHL games during the season as well. I remmeber fondly the 90's when games were played on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, occasionally on Tuesdays, with one game on free tv every Sunday. Plenty of room to play the European Cup and then the EHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I personally think date is ok. If CHL has to be here, this is the best preseason preparation for teams and they make some money from ticketing. Normally arenas are empty during preseason.

That is actually one the reasons they want to play at least some of the games in the pre-seasons, to get more people into the arenas. Otherwise there'd be far fewer people there.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
A few facts

Elitserien had 55 games in 08/09, SHL had 52 last season, so less.
SM-Liiga had 58 games in 08/09, Liiga had 60 last season
KHL had 56 games in 08/09, KHL had 60 games last season & has 56 this season (as 08/09)

I do not think that number of games in domestic league is an explanation.

CHL 2008 was NOT played during a week when EHT was played. Now, CHL is played during EHT week. The best players are at NTs, all media (in top four) are concentrated to EHT .. and we are suprised that fans/media do not care about the CHL? Btw, KHL proposed a change of international hockey calendar a few years ago, which would fit KHL´s schedulle better... but it would fit the CHL schedulle at the end of a day, they would not have to play during summer (like KHL) & EHT week. Who refused the proposal? European hockey federations & European leagues... shortsighted.. but their bussiness.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
A few facts

Elitserien had 55 games in 08/09, SHL had 52 last season, so less.
SM-Liiga had 58 games in 08/09, Liiga had 60 last season
KHL had 56 games in 08/09, KHL had 60 games last season & has 56 this season (as 08/09)

I do not think that number of games in domestic league is an explanation.

CHL 2008 was NOT played during a week when EHT was played. Now, CHL is played during EHT week. The best players are at NTs, all media (in top four) are concentrated to EHT .. and we are suprised that fans/media do not care about the CHL? Btw, KHL proposed a change of international hockey calendar a few years ago, which would fit KHL´s schedulle better... but it would fit the CHL schedulle at the end of a day, they would not have to play during summer (like KHL) & EHT week. Who refused the proposal? European hockey federations & European leagues... shortsighted.. but their bussiness.

Adding to this, Switzerland: 50 rounds in 2008 and 50 rounds this year.

An average of more than 7000 fans were in the arenas in the old CHL.

Even though Zürich was not able to play half of their games in their home arena due to scheduling issues and had to book a smaller arena (6100) outside of Zürich. Games were usually on Wednesday.

Last years CHL: 4600.

I don't think it is the number of league matches that makes the difference, but the number of CHL matches. In the 2008 CHL teams played 4 group games, then 2 semi-finals and 2 final games. So at max 8 games. In the new CHL fans are maybe somewhat "oversaturated" with up to 14 games.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Adding to this, Switzerland: 50 rounds in 2008 and 50 rounds this year.

An average of more than 7000 fans were in the arenas in the old CHL.

Even though Zürich was not able to play half of their games in their home arena due to scheduling issues and had to book a smaller arena (6100) outside of Zürich. Games were usually on Wednesday.

Last years CHL: 4600.

I don't think it is the number of league matches that makes the difference, but the number of CHL matches. In the 2008 CHL teams played 4 group games, then 2 semi-finals and 2 final games. So at max 8 games. In the new CHL fans are maybe somewhat "oversaturated" with up to 14 games.

I will add Czech league & DEL. Czech league had 52 vs 52 rounds last season. DEL is the same as CZ league.

As you said, number of CHL matches is an answer. Too many teams/matches leads to following scenario: big gap between teams, lower quality on ice product, not all games interested for TV broadcasters/fans, lower money from TV deals, lower average attendance, sponsors not interested in the product. I do not want to go deep into KHL here, but the KHL is good example. The KHL has the same problem, too many (Russian) teams, the KHL will fix this problem soon. Is the CHL able to fix the problem as well? To contract to around 12-18 teams? They had 48 teams at the start, now 32. So they realised the problem. But still, it is too much. I do not believe they will re-consider the decision on number of teams soon, because A) it would be a joke to re-consider it every two or three years B) they have a deal with Infront for 6 years.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
In 2008 the CHL started in October and the Finals was played in January so the fact that the games were played during the domestic seasons of the countries participating leads me to believe that when those games has a huge affect on attendance and perception.

Right now the CHL starts in August its pre-season for all the clubs participating so of course the fans sees it as a pre-season tournament, it doesn't feel important. But I'm pretty sure if you start it in October, it will have a different feel to it, now you make it part of the regular season, its not a pre-season tournament anymore.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
So Hradec Kralove management said during their official preseason press conference that they"suffered participation in CHL". Here you have great example of professional behaviour of one of the top team in czech league. All the teams try to look at it in positive way or be silent but here you always find somebody who can not help himself to say something to make it more complicated. Obviously just to "help things working out".

Good luck Hradec, I am not sure what you are going to do if you win the league. Hope you dont.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So Hradec Kralove management said during their official preseason press conference that they"suffered participation in CHL". Here you have great example of professional behaviour of one of the top team in czech league. All the teams try to look at it in positive way or be silent but here you always find somebody who can not help himself to say something to make it more complicated. Obviously just to "help things working out".

Good luck Hradec, I am not sure what you are going to do if you win the league. Hope you dont.

The paradox is what the club said about participation at Spengler Cup 2017 - "we want to go as far as possible" So they would like to win the Spengler Cup. :popcorn:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

Why did they participate then? It can't be mandatory. The Belfast Giants qualified for 2014-15 but they didn't participate because of the issues regarding arena availability so Nottingham participated instead.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
August is the worst time to have a Champions League, because its preseason, push it back to October and see if the clubs and fans have the same feeling about it.

It's sad but if the clubs and the fans are not interested in a Champions league then it will be the end of it. When you have clubs saying that the CHL hurt their preparation for the up coming season and when they say that CHL is not a priority, is not important to them it send the wrong signals to fans and potential future sponsors.

Maybe 32 clubs is too much too soon maybe they should have only 16 or 12 clubs participating right now. Me I like the CHL very much, I think it has a great potential in the future but only if all the clubs in Europe are committed to it and right now it is not the case sadly :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad