2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The increase in Kane’s salary is pretty much equal to the increase in the salary cap from when he signed his last deal. This time around he’s a UFA too.

Kane’s an idiot, but he would have gotten paid more than that on the open market. I’m glad he didn’t sign with my team, but the contract is completely reasonable.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The increase in Kane’s salary is pretty much equal to the increase in the salary cap from when he signed his last deal. This time around he’s a UFA too.

Kane’s an idiot, but he would have gotten paid more than that on the open market. I’m glad he didn’t sign with my team, but the contract is completely reasonable.
Ehhhhh the Jets were paying Kane for the player they thought he could be, though. 30 goal, 57 point season as a 21 year old and now 6 years later that's still his career high.

I wouldn't have touched Evander Kane for more than 5M per season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I agree with it being reasonable insofar as that GMs are idiots and overpay players like that, so if it wasn't the Sharks it would've been someone else. I disagree with it being reasonable in any other context.

This guy has had multiple off-ice incidents, including more than one accusation of sexual assault, has alienated teammates in his previous two NHL stints, is injury prone, and has exceeded 50 points twice in his career. This is the exact opposite of a good bet.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I think he was overpaid on the last go round.... Kane is pretty one dimensional and a dumb hockey player. Along with that, he doesn't produce at a high level. Yeah he had a streak with San Jose, but he is more of a ~50 point pace player that on a good year hits high 20s in goals. On bad years he is injured and gives you 40 points. Combine that with him being a wing and not great defensively... I think you have a massively overpaid player. Even Stastny (who is overpaid at $7m, and if he gets 7 again I wouldn't want to touch it) provides other things besides his offense.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Buffalo gets a 1st if he resigns with Sharks, too.

Omg. It's even worse. Haha.

I think in NHL it makes way more to overpay for someone really good Tavares, Karlsson than someone at best top6 forward. At least you're basically guaranteed to get quality product instead of guaranteed buyout in few years.

I would say even case Suter and Parise worked out quite well for the Wild. Without them they would have been quite bad team, but of course at the end of their contracts they become anchors as Well, but I guess it's almost their time to re-build any way, so it's not so bad.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Ehhhhh the Jets were paying Kane for the player they thought he could be, though. 30 goal, 57 point season as a 21 year old and now 6 years later that's still his career high.

I wouldn't have touched Evander Kane for more than 5M per season.

The Sharks are in a weird position though. Right now, Kane is only one of three Sharks' NHL forwards signed past this upcoming season, and is the only Sharks' NHL forward signed past the 2019-20 season. They'll certainly sign their RFAs, and I would think they will almost certainly extend Couture and Pavelski, but I can still see why they did this. Pretty expensive for that dude though.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Vitali Kravtsov won KHL Rookie of the Year this year. Jokerit asked the KHL if there is a nationality requirement still in place and got told there isn't. What if... what if there is though?

Dd6Jkw2V4AIx6FZ.jpg

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Vitali Kravtsov won KHL Rookie of the Year this year. Jokerit asked the KHL if there is a nationality requirement still in place and got told there isn't. What if... what if there is though?

Dd6Jkw2V4AIx6FZ.jpg

Excuse me but what the ****? Politics?

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I read there actually is a retirement in the rules for the KHL ROY to be a Russian citizen. Forget the article it was in, but it stated that it was a holdover from when it was "Soviet" back in the days of the SCL (and through the IHL nd RSL) and they just swapped it to Russian, and have not changed it to reflect the more diverse nationalities of the player base now. Sucks that players for 6 of the teams could be playing in the town they grew up in, yet not be eligible for a league award. Betting that changes soon, though they may not care one bit about seeming rigged.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I read there actually is a retirement in the rules for the KHL ROY to be a Russian citizen. Forget the article it was in, but it stated that it was a holdover from when it was "Soviet" back in the days of the SCL (and through the IHL nd RSL) and they just swapped it to Russian, and have not changed it to reflect the more diverse nationalities of the player base now. Sucks that players for 6 of the teams could be playing in the town they grew up in, yet not be eligible for a league award. Betting that changes soon, though they may not care one bit about seeming rigged.
Meanwhile, Jokerit tweeted this information, which in all honesty doesn't seem to be the case. (Will add translations in a sec.)

"...KHL's Rookie of the Year Award can be awarded to a player under the age of 26 of any nationality."

"We've asked the KHL about this today and this was the response we received."

Last edited:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
If the KHL did respond to that inquiry that any rookie under 26 could win, regardless of nationality, then I woudl like to see the KHL's explanation of why Eeli did not win.

Right now, their best bet is to hide behind a rule that has not been updated whilst claiming to fix it. But again, not sure they care about the world knowing how rigged they are.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
@Tweaky I ran Mild in the mock last year and while I knew they're screwed, I really found it out when I took a closer look at their depth and prospects etc. And after that, the core is yet again one more older and more damaged (Parise).

I'm so glad to see them suffer for at least half a decade more.
My pick to bring up the rear in the Central next year.

Reactions: Murzu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad