2017-18 Around the League Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think I read that the goalie coach in Carolina was making Lack play so much different than how Rollie has Lack playing and it really screwed him.

It’s unfortunate because I don’t think Lack is that bad, I mean had he a great run to end the year when he was here and a large reason for that was how Rollie had Lack playing to his strengths.

Lack had to adapt to a brand new style of thinking and it just didn’t suit him but some people don’t go any further than the surface and realize how important goalie coaches are. They think they are all preaching the same things, or the same basis of things.

It’s clear Carolina has no idea what the hell they are doing because goalie after goalie just flame out.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I mean Melanson was arguably the best in the business and it seemed like any goalie that played here during the time did well whether it be Luongo or lack or Richard f***ing Bachman who looked not out of place in a few NHL games last year and now has an. 850 save % with the comets.

I would have brought lack back when he was available to see if reuniting him with Rollie was able to get his game back but it's obviously too late now.

Real shame.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think I read that the goalie coach in Carolina was making Lack play so much different than how Rollie has Lack playing and it really screwed him.

It’s unfortunate because I don’t think Lack is that bad, I mean had he a great run to end the year when he was here and a large reason for that was how Rollie had Lack playing to his strengths.

Lack had to adapt to a brand new style of thinking and it just didn’t suit him but some people don’t go any further than the surface and realize how important goalie coaches are. They think they are all preaching the same things, or the same basis of things.

It’s clear Carolina has no idea what the hell they are doing because goalie after goalie just flame out.

As someone who was a goalie coach for kids it is so important to realize that A) every goalies game is different B)There is so much to the game that is mental C) Even Team playing style helps. People just don't understand.

I remember the ducks played a weird defence when they went to the cup finals and lost to NJ. They had the goalie kick everything to the slot and had the defence collapse there for the rebound. I think Montreal did something to with Halak.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
As someone who was a goalie coach for kids it is so important to realize that A) every goalies game is different B)There is so much to the game that is mental C) Even Team playing style helps. People just don't understand.

I remember the ducks played a weird defence when they went to the cup finals and lost to NJ. They had the goalie kick everything to the slot and had the defence collapse there for the rebound. I think Montreal did something to with Halak.

I think I remember reading that too about Carolina. Their style didn’t really fit with what they expected Lack to do. I’m not going to say that as fact as I am not sure, but it’s entirely possible.

Lack was good here and was the reason we even made the playoffs against Calgary. Unfortunate we didn’t see if he could stick with us, because he seemed to be comfortable here and worked with the style of game.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Lack ran into lots of bad luck, it looked like he may be starting to get back on track then had concussion problems and was never able to get back on track.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Lack was ok for us had a few nice hot streaks but in the end trading him was a good move.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Lack was ok for us had a few nice hot streaks but in the end trading him was a good move.
He was far more than "ok". In his first season he was posting a .921 SV% as a backup until Feb. 26th, and then he started 19 games in a row as a rookie on a team that had completely given up and it tanked his SV% down to .912. In his second year most of his starts were far apart until February, and he was posting a respectable .913 SV% despite it (he was also mostly facing good teams for some reason). Then Miller got injured and Lack took over most of the starts again, and carried our team into the playoffs with a very good .925 SV% over 26 games.

Trading him for a 3rd round pick instead of moving Miller was a complete and utter joke.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The mess we are in now is in part to this team not evaluating is next generation goaltending. We passed up a very good asset for Miller, then went on to sign an untested Markstrom to $3.67m X 3 years. We spent $18m on Miller and didn't get a thing from it except confusion.

We are f***ed if demko does not turn out as a star.

Last edited:

IKEA

May 31, 2010
SE
The mess we are in now is in part to this team not evaluating is next generation goaltending. We passed up a very good asset for Miller, then went on to sign an untested Markstrom to $3.67m X 3 years. We spent $18m on Miller and didn't get a thing from it except confusion.

We are ****ed if demko does not turn out as a star.

There's DiPietro in the pipeline, but sure light years away

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
I wonder if ufa goalies should be signed with a coach of their preference to maximise the odds of success. For example, Varlamov finally managed to bring his goalie coach from khl days. He'd been attempting to do that for few seasons already and apparently he does his summer training with said coach.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

We are ****ed if demko does not turn out as a star.
To be honest Miller was good for this organization. Markstrom isn’t an NHL goalie. That Luongo fiasco will haunt this franchise.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Miller led this team to finishing 2nd and 3rd worst.

His presence here was useless
As a fan I enjoyed watching him play better than these 2 jokers. And at this point that’s all I care about really. I’ve never seen a goalie with as many obvious flaws as Markstrom. As soon as he gets hot he needs to be traded for a bag of pucks.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Seriously thinking of a bet on Vegas to win the cup.

Tell me this can't happen.

:dunno:

Obviously I've been 100% wrong to date about them. But my two cents is that they don't have the top end talent to win a 7 game series. Not to mention their road record right now suggests that their overall record may be a mirage anyways.

Any coach worthy of being in the NHL will quickly expose their lack of top end players and then maximize their own star players. As much depth as they have, they just don't have anyone to match-up against the Oilers offense or the size and skill of the Ducks or the overall tenacity and ability of Chicago. If their path to the Finals was going against Willie Desjardins, Bob Hartley and then Bruce Boudreau (cursed)...maybe they'd have a shot, regardless of the lack of star power. But assuming they face a coach like Quenneville or Hitchcock in the first round, they're hooped. A team that prominently features Luca Sbisa is gonna get exposed eventually. Gallant is a good coach in his own right, but he can't protect his entire roster. Just can't see a group led by Marchessault, Smith, Perron, Neal, Haula and Karlsson being able to generate enough offense by committee to even beat lower end playoff teams like the Flames or Sharks over a seven game series.

If you're looking for a bet right now, I'd suggest the Islanders. Their offense is awesome; if they can pick up a goalie at the deadline (easy enough to do), I like those odds a lot.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I mean Melanson was arguably the best in the business and it seemed like any goalie that played here during the time did well whether it be Luongo or lack or Richard ****ing Bachman who looked not out of place in a few NHL games last year and now has an. 850 save % with the comets.

I would have brought lack back when he was available to see if reuniting him with Rollie was able to get his game back but it's obviously too late now.

Real shame.

I'd take Eddie + a pick for a wasted contract (Stewart) in a f***ing heartbeat and then look to move Nilsson/Markstrom to the highest bidder (^Islanders??)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
:dunno:

Obviously I've been 100% wrong to date about them. But my two cents is that they don't have the top end talent to win a 7 game series. Not to mention their road record right now suggests that their overall record may be a mirage anyways.

Any coach worthy of being in the NHL will quickly expose their lack of top end players and then maximize their own star players. As much depth as they have, they just don't have anyone to match-up against the Oilers offense or the size and skill of the Ducks or the overall tenacity and ability of Chicago. If their path to the Finals was going against Willie Desjardins, Bob Hartley and then Bruce Boudreau (cursed)...maybe they'd have a shot, regardless of the lack of star power. But assuming they face a coach like Quenneville or Hitchcock in the first round, they're hooped. A team that prominently features Luca Sbisa is gonna get exposed eventually. Gallant is a good coach in his own right, but he can't protect his entire roster. Just can't see a group led by Marchessault, Smith, Perron, Neal, Haula and Karlsson being able to generate enough offense by committee to even beat lower end playoff teams like the Flames or Sharks over a seven game series.

If you're looking for a bet right now, I'd suggest the Islanders. Their offense is awesome; if they can pick up a goalie at the deadline (easy enough to do), I like those odds a lot.

Hmmm, hmmm. Good points, all.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
To be honest Miller was good for this organization. Markstrom isn’t an NHL goalie. That Luongo fiasco will haunt this franchise.

Remove Ryan Miller from the team and we likely have Matthews/Laine instead of Juolevi.

Reactions: PM

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He went 16-29-6 his last year. The purpose he served was being trade bait, unfortunately they botched that and ended up spending $18m on nothing.

The time to get possible starters were the years we wasted on Miller. Years we should have been rebuilding hard, testing starters, if goalies bombed it would be just a better tank, limited youth on the team. The time to add someone like Miller would be to play with a very young goalie and a lots of youth ie. Demko next year or the year after. Complely backwards from Benning.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Drop

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
As a fan, I have (except for this recent bad stretch with the injuries) enjoyed watching the TEAM far, far, far better than the alleged hockey that was played at Rogers for each of the previous two seasons.
That has nothing to do with Miller. This teams goaltending has been a total downer this year.

Reactions: Nomobo

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That has nothing to do with Miller. This teams goaltending has been a total downer this year.
Goaltending wasn't an issue before the injuries piled up.

You go with two unproven starters - the result is not totally unexpected (but again, at least it wasn't fatal when the team was healthy).

Lack the bust nevertheless STILL held the fort when Miller was down for a big chunk of the season that Torts disaster year. He only fell apart when - like how Torts handled the rest of the bench - he was overused.

Reactions: The Drop

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

If we kept Schneider we wouldn't have Bo and would likely not have Petterson either. That's 2/3 of the players in this organization that are actually worth watching and caring about. There was no keeping Luongo, he was going back to Florida sooner or later and once he demanded a trade it was over. The Schneider trade is one of the few trades we've made in the last decade that actually got better over time and we still have something good left from it which is a rarity for us. Plus, the team needed to rebuild (and still does). Even if we had a goaltender sporting a .920+ save percentage we have no offence to outscore the other team on a consistent basis.

The only part of the Luongo trade that may haunt us is the bogus recapture rule. Just have to hope Luongo develops some ridiculous reoccurring injury or equipment allergies like everyone else seems to be doing.

Reactions: racerjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad