2017-18 Around the League Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
There is a middle ground that says “Gillis was great for a bit” but that doesn’t forgive bennings asshattery. You don’t have to be one sided, you can find the faults in each.
No doubt Gillis' had his faults (if he didn't - he'd be still employed here).

I'm trying to find positives in the Benning regime (there are SOME) - Problem is....Ray Charles could see all the faults in the regime.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ottawa is a Federal Government Employee town. These employees are notoriously tight with their money. Think Teachers. The Corp crowd is just not there in Ottawa. It's a unionized workforce that is not apt to spend their disposable income.

The other thing....I think they suffered a bit from the same issue the Canucks did a few years back against Calgary. No one really believed the team was good enough to win. They'd been to the finals in recent times, had their hearts broken and I think deep down knew the team would never really win the Cup.

Sounds like a good idea for Ottawa to move then.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
mark fayne "loaned" to florida?

trying to imagine how angry this fanbase would be if we paid a player we still owned $4 million/year to play for another nhl team.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Ottawa is a Federal Government Employee town. These employees are notoriously tight with their money. Think Teachers. The Corp crowd is just not there in Ottawa. It's a unionized workforce that is not apt to spend their disposable income.

The other thing....I think they suffered a bit from the same issue the Canucks did a few years back against Calgary. No one really believed the team was good enough to win. They'd been to the finals in recent times, had their hearts broken and I think deep down knew the team would never really win the Cup.

the other issue in ottawa is that as i understand it, businesses/lobbyists pretty much can't take government employees to hockey games any more under conflict of interest rules. every team in the league depends on season tickets being used by businesses to entertain clients and customers. that can't happen in ottawa as regards the biggest client/customer in town.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Not sure how you see that playing out, but I assure you it won't affect my sleep. We've got over 20M committed to garbage. If some of it's overseas, god bless.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Scott Darling is TRASH

Carolina is a good defensive team that cannot get a stop from their goaltender.
They have really good shot suppression numbers as a team
They are top 5 in shot attempts in close.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
mark fayne "loaned" to florida?

trying to imagine how angry this fanbase would be if we paid a player we still owned $4 million/year to play for another nhl team.
Don't think it would be too bad if we loaned Gagner at 3.1 to another team. Complete liability gone. Then there is Eriksson & Gudbranson... list can go on and on

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Scott Darling is TRASH

Carolina is a good defensive team that cannot get a stop from their goaltender.
They have really good shot suppression numbers as a team
They are top 5 in shot attempts in close.
Goaltending careers go there to die.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
At least for the trade deadline...

Speaking of GM's... I figure George McPhee must be in the top 2 or 3 GM's in line to win the "Best Big Cheese" award. His expansion Cinderella feel good story will probably trump Yzerman's overall awesomeness.
I thought his team would struggle this year, and I'm happy to see they are staying far away from the best picks in the draft. Less competion for us, less chance of then being able to find a star to help build a long term team around. Good for us now and good for us later.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
At least for the trade deadline...

Speaking of GM's... I figure George McPhee must be in the top 2 or 3 GM's in line to win the "Best Big Cheese" award. His expansion Cinderella feel good story will probably trump Yzerman's overall awesomeness.
Still early....I don't think much of McPhee's abilities (for example, I actually rank Benning ahead of him despite Vegas good start).

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Put your hand up if you saw Josh Bailey tied for 2nd in NHL scoring after 34 games
Snow knew what he was doing when he took him ahead of Hodgson after all :laugh:
Garth's three friends seem to think so.....:naughty:

garth-snow-islanders-party.jpg

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Always had a soft spot for Grabner... glad to see him still able to pot goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad