2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kadri and JVR keep doing work. Hyman also pitching in. Leafs are looking good have to admit. If they can add a top 4 D at the deadline ... look out.

I don't think they have more talent than us, it's just that their talent plays up to their full potential or beyond it, especially in the case of their "support" players.
They have more talent on the wings absolutely. But down the center we win. And a little bit us on defense too.

That said I think they are a much better team than we are.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They have more talent on the wings absolutely. But down the center we win. And a little bit us on defense too.

most of their good players are still on ELC's, so that will change when they have to start trimming depth in places to keep them.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
most of their good players are still on ELC's, so that will change when they have to start trimming depth in places to keep them.
Or they will actually sign good contracts.

I just looked at the leagues leading scorers.

The West has 1 in the top 10.
4 in the top 20.
McDavid

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I'm not watching the Toronto game, but I see 4 goals on 5 shots? Really? When will that f***ing happen to us? How come every goalie we come across plays like a hall of f***ing famer?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Or they will actually sign good contracts.

I just looked at the leagues leading scorers.

The West has 1 in the top 10.
4 in the top 20.
McDavid
Even if they do that, they will be doubling their combined salaries, that money has to come from some where.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Very questionable goalie interference call made on Abdelkader on the ice by the refs, upon challenge over-ruled, as the player made no contact with the goalie. One of the few instances I've been impressed with the ability of referees to swallow their pride, objectively look at a situation on camera, and make the right call by over-turning.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The difference down the middle is not that big.

Matthews is a superstar too, maybe not the raw talent of McDavid, but he closes the gap considerably because he has a far superior shot at this stage of the game and that makes him a bigger threat to score a goal in many situations.

Kadri is way better than RNH at this stage. Draisaitl is a RW right now, we're not using him as a center so that "center depth" thing goes out the window.

The difference between the Leafs and us is their group of Kadri/JVR/Hyman/etc. gutted out poor years and have not used it as an excuse to play way below their ability.

For us, Eberle/RNH even Lucic are not there. We get about 65% from these guys. Leafs get 100% or 110% from their support cast.

Reactions: 7even

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
All this said... They are not good defensively

No, they will have to add at the deadline. They are basically what we would have been if Hall + Eberle + RNH did not flop here post-McDavid, but they don't have their Larsson yet.

In some ways I think they are actually ahead of us rebuild wise because Kadri/JVR/Nylander/Marner/Reilly are ready to play now.

Because our group of Yakupov/RNH/Eberle/Schultz could not hack it here, we actually are probably gonna have to wait until Yamamoto/Puljujarvi/Nurse all take the next successive steps in their development.

We shouldn't feel sorry for ourselves as we still have an enviable core group, but yeah I think the Leafs are ahead because they were able to transfer far more from their previous rebuild than we have.

I don't think the Leafs are ready this year, but next year if they add a good D-Man ... I wouldn't be shocked if they are in the Finals. Pittsburgh can't come out the East every year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Chicago getting outshot by 3x.. 27 to 8...Talbot will need to steal the game tomorrow for us to have a chance.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I pay almost $100 a month for cable and the Habs game is blacked out. The cable companies wonder why people are finding alternative means to watch games.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I pay almost $100 a month for cable and the Habs game is blacked out. The cable companies wonder why people are finding alternative means to watch games.

TSN doesn't have national rights. But it's also the same as to why games on SNPacific, Ontario and East are also blacked out here.

Reactions: tinfish

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
TSN doesn't have national rights. But it's also the same as to why games on SNPacific, Ontario and East are also blacked out here.
Yes, I understand why. It's just ridiculous to me. I'm happy to pay for a good product. I pay for Netflix and Spotify. I'd love to pay for cravetv, but they don't have a ps4 app, and trying to access it through my cable box is a joke. I tred the nhl app on ps4 and local games are blacked out, so I'd need vpn. So, either I jump through all these hoops, or I take 30 seconds to find an illegal stream.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Yes, I understand why. It's just ridiculous to me. I'm happy to pay for a good product. I pay for Netflix and Spotify. I'd love to pay for cravetv, but they don't have a ps4 app, and trying to access it through my cable box is a joke. I tred the nhl app on ps4 and local games are blacked out, so I'd need vpn. So, either I jump through all these hoops, or I take 30 seconds to find an illegal stream.

I'm sure the cable companies wouldn't mind showing more games. It's the NHL and the individual teams that don't allow it. The lone exception are Chicago games on WGN but it could be that the audience that have access to that channel is pretty small and may not even know that WGN shows Hawks' games.

Reactions: tinfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest