World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Meh, I don't think they cared. I don't think that it would have had an effect on the result even if they did care but...

That doesn't even make sense.

Yes they cared. You can see in how Ovechkin was arguing for his disallowed goal against Sweden that would've tied the game in the dying seconds of the 3rd. You would see how much the Russians cared if you saw all the bruises Telegin has. That guy in particular was willing to eat the puck to get his country to the next stage of the championship, and without him, Russia would've lost against NA.

Maybe some of them didn't care as much as the others, but they all cared to some extent.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
That doesn't even make sense.

It doesn't make sense that the sport of hockey is dictated by American capitalism? Where are all of the best players playing? Who created this tournament and set its terms? Who has the power to keep out the best Russian talent out of the upcoming Olympics? Think.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I hope that Canada VS. Europe best-of-three final will make the 'Olympic replacement' idea totally absurd, so we could see some best-on-best action in 2018 Olympics.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I hope that Canada VS. Europe best-of-three final will make the 'Olympic replacement' idea totally absurd, so we could see some best-on-best action in 2018 Olympics.

As I wrote in another thread imagine the DVD sales of this three-game final. It will sell worse than the Ben Hur remake.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I feel that this tournament is the inevitable culmination of the fact that European nations have all become farm teams for the NHL.

Unless something changes Canada will dominate international hockey, and some will enjoy it, but it will be bad for the game.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I feel that this tournament is the inevitable culmination of the fact that European nations have all become farm teams for the NHL.

Unless something changes Canada will dominate international hockey, and some will enjoy it, but it will be bad for the game.
wrong, they are happy to be fodder for the better ones. nothing will change, if fact it'll only get worse

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
wrong, they are happy to be fodder for the better ones. nothing will change, if fact it'll only get worse

I am pretty sure nothing will change in Europe. At least the Russians are talking about doing something.

If they can break their addiction to the American dollar, maybe they will be able to build something of their own for the first time since the Soviet days.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I am pretty sure nothing will change in Europe. At least the Russians are talking about doing something.

If they can break their addiction to the American dollar, maybe they will be able to build something of their own for the first time since the Soviet days.
amen to that
We beat Russia with no problem in the first game. We are better team than Russia.
yeah, yet it's you who lost to a frankenstein team. ouch!

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Call me overly optimistic, but I do think there is a bright future for this team going forward.

For one, several of the top Russian prospects are defenders and goaltenders.

Two, there are quite a few talented 2-way forwards on the prospect list as well, which potentially means that a roster spot might not need to be wasted on a defensive forward like Telegin or Kulemin.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Wasted on Kulemin and Telegin? Don't agree with you there. These are the kinds of guys you need, when there's a premium on size and grit.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Wasted on Kulemin and Telegin? Don't agree with you there. These are the kinds of guys you need, when there's a premium on size and grit.

You've missed my point.

Yes, you need guys with grit, but you would like for them to contribute on offense as well. The current state of Russian forwards is that you either pick offensive skills (Mozyakin, Radulov) or blue-collar grit players (Telegin, Kulemin). Canada doesn't have to make this choice.

There are Russian prospects who possibly could provide both, provided they fully develop of course.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

Half agree/disagree. Not in a tournament of this stature. Ovechkin and others were effectively blocking shots, hitting guys, providing plenty of grit. Maybe one of these guys, definitely not both. Then Znaroks got carried away and was even using Kulemin on the PP :help:

Telegin turned out useful but Kulemin was utterly useless IMO. He has been 100% north americanized into a robot 3rd liner. If there used to be any offensive flair to his game its definitely evapourated into thin air.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Why didn't Znarok use Shipachev? He made a nice assist in the previous game and couldn't be worse, than Malkin.

My God I was wondering the same thing, for Nesterov, a 7th sparingly used defenseman none the less. What an atrocity, Znarok to the gulag after a good lashing.

Holy hell I couldn't handle his horrifying coaching this tournament. Broke up the one line with proven chemistry, juggled the lines every game, sometimes several times, horrible chemistry in general, horrible powerplay. Kulemin was on the PP : (

Can't blame one thing or another, the whole team didn't effectively play as a well oiled Russian cog. Defense wasn't even as bad as advertised, if it got exposed its because there was no offense to relieve pressure, I mean what was the final shot count in the last game? Besides the Kulikov gaff, they werent bad, the offense wasn't performing well. No way Russian offense should have been on their heals the whole game the way they were.

What was the point of having Dads, Ship even on the team if they werent together? They could have been replaced by Kovy/Mozy/Rads etc. Ship is usually quiet then makes tremendously sneaky passes at the most opportune of times (see Telegin goal Finland). So he has a great game against Finland then benched the next game. Like I said, Znarok to the Gulag, never come back.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Can the federation just [MOD] and let Pelino Voroviev Keenan try the coaching gig? Or hire a North American guy, just anyone with a basic level of coaching common sense. The sad thing is Znarok seemed to have a good thing going when he won with Dynamo. At this tournament maybe he was in over his head but he definitely lost his marbles.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaximusT

Dec 5, 2008
Yea the coaching disparity between Russia and the rest of the competition was obvious during this tournament. I'm not even talking the difference between Babcock and Znarok, even the gap between Kruger and Znarok is huge..

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Can the federation just [MOD] and let Pelino Voroviev Keenan try the coaching gig? Or hire a North American guy, just anyone with a basic level of coaching common sense. The sad thing is Znarok seemed to have a good thing going when he won with Dynamo. At this tournament maybe he was in over his head but he definitely lost his marbles.

I will go demonstrate to have Zanrok if they try to hire a foreign coach. and I hate Znarok as coach. This is not nationalism. This is caring about what our hockey will look like going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juppy61

May 14, 2013
Canada
I will go demonstrate to have Zanrok if they try to hire a foreign coach. and I hate Znarok as coach. This is not nationalism. This is caring about what our hockey will look like going forward.

What do you think will happen to your hockey if you had a foreign coach? I don't follow. Sounds like nationalism to me. It has become readily apparent that Russia's coaching is lacking. Russia has not won best on best in quite some time. Why not try something different? I think it would be a good experiment. If you still lose with a really good foreign coach then your program is in worse shape then we all imagined. If you win you can say Russia is still producing highly skilled players and can compete with the world. Oh well.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What do you think will happen to your hockey if you had a foreign coach? I don't follow. Sounds like nationalism to me. It has become readily apparent that Russia's coaching is lacking. Russia has not won best on best in quite some time. Why not try something different? I think it would be a good experiment. If you still lose with a really good foreign coach then your program is in worse shape then we all imagined. If you win you can say Russia is still producing highly skilled players and can compete with the world. Oh well.

A foreign coach will coach foreign hockey. There is russian hockey. It is different. The last thing we need is our best team to be coached to play a different brand of hockey than russian. We'd only lose time with those experiments.

Russia does produce players. We don't need to test that. In any way. This would hurt the development overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad