World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Well lets take a look at a potential russia roster for the 2016 World Cup of hockey. I guess the KHL will not release their players, which means that Russia may be forced to take players from AHL or Canadian junior leagues. This year there has been 25 Russians who have played one game in the NHL excluding goalies. If KHL realese their player, names like Kovalchuk, Radulov, Zaripov, Mozyakin, Medvedev, Denisov, Zaitsev and so on could help this team but i doubt they will be avaible.

Here is my try for a roster.

Kulemin-Malkin-Tarasenko
Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Kucherov
Semin-Kuznetsov-Nichushkin
Namestnikov-Anisimov-Yakupov

Markov-Voynov?
Emelin-Zadorov
Tyuitin-Nikitin
Kulikov-Nesterov

Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Vasilevsky

Discuss :)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Well lets take a look at a potential russia roster for the 2016 World Cup of hockey. I guess the KHL will not release their players, which means that Russia may be forced to take players from AHL or Canadian junior leagues. This year there has been 25 Russians who have played one game in the NHL excluding goalies. If KHL realese their player, names like Kovalchuk, Radulov, Zaripov, Mozyakin, Medvedev, Denisov, Zaitsev and so on could help this team but i doubt they will be avaible.

Kulemin-Malkin-Tarasenko

Markov-Voynov?
Emelin-Zadorov
Tyuitin-Nikitin
Kulikov-Nesterov

Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Vasilevsky

From what I'm reading, the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and the KHL are on board with the World Cup....KHL players will be participating (as of now) and since the parties involved see this World Cup as an evaluating tool for the 2018 Olympics, I doubt very much they'll go exclusively with Russian players playing in NA. since it is very likely that the NHL is done with the Olympics.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
From what I'm reading, the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and the KHL are on board with the World Cup....KHL players will be participating (as of now) and since the parties involved see this World Cup as an evaluating tool for the 2018 Olympics, I doubt very much they'll go exclusively with Russian players playing in NA. since it is very likely that the NHL is done with the Olympics.

Actually Bettman said that this do not affect the olympics, that was the only positive thing with this PR. Not that Im a big fan of the olympics either, since it is controlled by NHL and I want a IIHF controlled tournament to give all teams a fair chance, not a propaganda tournament that is prearranged for canada and USA to win. But at least olympics do not have all star teams.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Actually Bettman said that this do not affect the olympics, that was the only positive thing with this PR. Not that Im a big fan of the olympics either, since it is controlled by NHL and I want a IIHF controlled tournament to give all teams a fair chance, not a propaganda tournament that is prearranged for canada and USA to win. But at least olympics do not have all star teams.

I don't know how you interpret that statement as a positive with regards to future NHL Olympic participation. One is not tied to other, therefore the NHL is undecided about continuing with their Olympic experiment, and most insiders seem to agree that the NHL going to S. Korea in 2018 is unlikely at this point.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I don't know how you interpret that statement as a positive with regards to future NHL Olympic participation. One is not tied to other, therefore the NHL is undecided about continuing with their Olympic experiment, and most insiders seem to agree that the NHL going to S. Korea in 2018 is unlikely at this point.

Exactly, the world cup is not meant to replace the olympics as it seems. I see no reason to say that this do not affect the olympics unless everyhting is leaning towards that they will participate in the olympics. If world cup would be meant as a replacement for the olympics, they should have implied that instead.

I have also before seen people thinking that the NHLPA was happy with just the world cup, that for one thing do not seem to be the case, and that by itself is positive, since NHL has always been against OC as far as I know, but NHLPA has "always" (since 96) end up winning that battle.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Exactly, the world cup is not meant to replace the olympics as it seems. I see no reason to say that this do not affect the olympics unless everyhting is leaning towards that they will participate in the olympics. If world cup would be meant as a replacement for the olympics, they should have implied that instead.

I have also before seen people thinking that the NHLPA was happy with just the world cup, that for one thing do not seem to be the case, and that by itself is positive, since NHL has always been against OC as far as I know, but NHLPA has "always" (since 96) end up winning that battle.

Sorry, but the exact purpose of the World Cup is to eliminate NHL participation in the Olympics, without dropping out of international competition altogether. If the NHL weren't dropping out of the Olympics, what would be the point of resurrecting the World Cup after all the years gone by since it was last played?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

If that were the case, if they were just using it as an evaluation tool for the '18 Olympics, wouldn't it make the most sense to use an all-KHL lineup? If the World Cup were being used for evaluation purposes, winning or losing the tournament would be beside the point. Don't misunderstand me, I think that is a plausible scenario. With U23 teams and European all-World all-star teams, the World Cup is just a fun summer beach tournament anyway.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Sorry, but the exact purpose of the World Cup is to eliminate NHL participation in the Olympics, without dropping out of international competition altogether. If the NHL weren't dropping out of the Olympics, what would be the point of resurrecting the World Cup after all the years gone by since it was last played?

But they just said that it do not affect the olympics? You are saying that they are lying?

Whats the purpose? To make money as it seems.

I support your proposal about just sending a all-KHL lineup, that would be a nice message to the NHL bosses.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
But they just said that it do not affect the olympics? You are saying that they are lying?

Whats the purpose? To make money as it seems.

I support your proposal about just sending a all-KHL lineup, that would be a nice message to the NHL bosses.

The idea of a World Cup was floated by Gary Bettman in the same interview in which he discussed all of the reasons why it would be a bad idea to go to Korea, China or Kazakhstan in the middle of a season. One of the reasons that he cited was the financial loss associated with having to shut the league down for 3 weeks in the middle of the season. Could he be using that as a ploy to negotiate a better deal with the IOC? Possibly, but he suggested that they made very little money in Sochi in comparison to Vancouver, and the clear message in his interview was that the Olympics place a bigger burden on the league than they are worth.

He seemed to suggest that the problem could be solved by holding the tournament in the off-season instead of mid-season, and you can't hold the Winter Olympics in August and early September. He clearly seemed to be laying the framework fo an eventual announcement that the NHL won't be participating in the Olympics, although there is no need to make such an announcement before 2017 at the earliest.

Spacey

Feb 2, 2015

Kulemin-Malkin-Tarasenko

Markov-Voynov?
Emelin-Zadorov
Tyuitin-Nikitin
Kulikov-Nesterov

Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Vasilevsky

I like your 1st and 2nd lines, goos try! :)
Btw I think that KHL will release our players, but Znarok is not Bykov or Bill.
Kovalchuk and Radulov 99% will join the team if they will not be injured.
Panarin and Kucherov r our young stars, but their place in Znarok roster is quastionable in my opinion.
99% no Mozyakin, Zaripov, Namestnikov, Yakupov, Semin, Zaitsev (he is quite average player)
My try for a roster. I think Tarasenko should be with Datsyuk.
Radulov? - Datsyuk - Tarasenko
Kovalchuk - Malkin? - Panarin?
Kulemin - Anisimov - Nichushkin?
Kucherov - Kuznetsov - Shirokov

Markov - Emelin
Medvedev - Kutuzov
Denisov - Kullikov
Nesterov - Nikitin

Bobrovsky - Varlamov - Vasilevsky

bruno94

Jan 23, 2015
I like your 1st and 2nd lines, goos try! :)
Btw I think that KHL will release our players, but Znarok is not Bykov or Bill.
Kovalchuk and Radulov 99% will join the team if they will not be injured.
Panarin and Kucherov r our young stars, but their place in Znarok roster is quastionable in my opinion.
99% no Mozyakin, Zaripov, Namestnikov, Yakupov, Semin, Zaitsev (he is quite average player)
My try for a roster. I think Tarasenko should be with Datsyuk.
Radulov? - Datsyuk - Tarasenko
Kovalchuk - Malkin? - Panarin?
Kulemin - Anisimov - Nichushkin?
Kucherov - Kuznetsov - Shirokov

Markov - Emelin
Medvedev - Kutuzov
Denisov - Kullikov
Nesterov - Nikitin

Bobrovsky - Varlamov - Vasilevsky

No Ovie?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

Kulemin-Malkin-Tarasenko

Markov-Voynov?
Emelin-Zadorov
Tyuitin-Nikitin
Kulikov-Nesterov

Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Vasilevsky

If that is team Russia maybe we should just throw them into the team euro bin:sarcasm:

But seriously get Kovalchuk, Radulov on there please

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
If that is team Russia maybe we should just throw them into the team euro bin:sarcasm:

But seriously get Kovalchuk, Radulov on there please

The suggestion that the KHL won't release players for the tournament is pure speculation at this point, but its hard to find a business reason for the KHL to support a purely NHL financial venture, unless the NHL were to throw the kind of money at the KHL that would make it impossible to say no. My opinion is that the KHL will continue to keep the matter open to negotiation, but in the end, decline to participate in the tournament.

That would free the RHF up to do something else, like sending a non-KHL team, or instead sending an U23 team, or dropping out of the tournament altogether. The KHL would have to completely revise its regular season schedule in order to participate, and it would be hard to imagine that that could be worthwhile unless it was attached to major cash payments.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think Znarok will play with some gritty lines. It's going to be like top two lines are fully score. The 3rd line is score/grit, the 4th line is grit/score. So:

Kovy - Datsyuk - Radu (they were good in Sochi)
Kucherov - Malkin - Tarasenko (exactly the wingers Geno needs)
Panarin - Shipachyov - Dadonov (the best line in the KHL, very good 2-way)
Kulemin - Arti - Nichushkin

Chudinov - Belov (SKA's top pair)
Markov - Zadorov (experience and PP QB + youth, size and mobility)
Tyutin - Zaitsev (good NHL - top KHL defenders)
Voinov, Emelin, Orlov etc

P.S. ****, I've forgotten about Ovi... I don't even know where to place him. He sucks with Malkin (they both suck together), and all other lines look so natural.

Last edited:

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Ovechkin - Malkin - Tarasenko
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Radulov
Kucherov - Kuznetsov - Nichushkin
KHL - Anisimov - KHL

Markov - Voynov*
Emelin - KHL
Nikitin - KHL

Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Vasilevsky

(* = if he's not in jail)

The top 9 is as spectactular as it gets on paper, but will that translate onto the ice?

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Malkin and OV don't play well on the same line.

I know. But a) it's doesn't mean that it will be like that again; two great players could always work together. And b) I couldn't come up with other solutions.

PS Nice to see one of the former TSTN members here :D

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Panarin
Kucherov - Malkin - Tarasenko
Radulov - Shipachyov - Kovalchuck
Kulemin - Anisimov - Plotnikov

Markov - Emelin
Chudinov - Belov
Voinov - Zadorov

Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Khudobin

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Frankly I don't care. If they don't send a team I would support them.

Why should Russia send a team considering US's and Canada's attitudes concerning recent events? Why invest in a model that would only benefit American businesses?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Frankly I don't care. If they don't send a team I would support them.

Why should Russia send a team considering US's and Canada's attitudes concerning recent events? Why invest in a model that would only benefit American businesses?

Exactly. I don't see what is to gain by participating, especially given the fact that a number of national team members would be unavailable for participation.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I think Znarok will play with some gritty lines. It's going to be like top two lines are fully score. The 3rd line is score/grit, the 4th line is grit/score. So:

Kovy - Datsyuk - Radu (they were good in Sochi)
Kucherov - Malkin - Tarasenko (exactly the wingers Geno needs)
Panarin - Shipachyov - Dadonov (the best line in the KHL, very good 2-way)
Kulemin - Arti - Nichushkin

Chudinov - Belov (SKA's top pair)
Markov - Zadorov (experience and PP QB + youth, size and mobility)
Tyutin - Zaitsev (good NHL - top KHL defenders)
Voinov, Emelin, Orlov etc

P.S. ****, I've forgotten about Ovi... I don't even know where to place him. He sucks with Malkin (they both suck together), and all other lines look so natural.

Put him in the taxi. Or let him kill penalties on the fourth line!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
No more Anisimov, Kulemin, Voynov. Those guys don't ever contribute anything positive, and in a tournament like this there are no real defensive role players. I'd rather see Tikhonov and Shirokov than Anisimov and Kulemin.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
No more Anisimov, Kulemin, Voynov. Those guys don't ever contribute anything positive, and in a tournament like this there are no real defensive role players. I'd rather see Tikhonov and Shirokov than Anisimov and Kulemin.
i was reading and nodding in agreement and then i saw tikhonov and shirokov's names. that's just awful. gime me my anisomov and kulemin back:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad