World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Russia did very well. One big mistake they made is they brought Markov who is on the steep decline instead of trying some of the young defense. Markov did well for team Russia previously but it's time to thank him for the services.

Some bright spots on team Russia. I liked Zaitsev a lot, Kucherov. They need younger team though. This is where hockey is headed at this level.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I love Ovechkin, but has he EVER come up big in a huge game? Him and Malkin should be flat-out embarrassed by their play in this tournament.

Bright spots: Kucherov, Panarin, Kuznetsov and Zaitsev.

Russia's D is probably the weakest it's ever been in any tournament like this. Next go around, Provorov, Zaitsev and Sergachev will be a huge plus.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Voynov couldn't be on the team due to his suspension is a big blow

Provorov wouldn't help much and Sergachev is definitely not ready. Finland might as well have used Juolevi

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Hopefully young blue-liners develop.

I feel like this team will always have good forwards and it seems that goaltending depth has improved, but the blue-line is still an issue.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The only way for Russia to return to hockey domination is to keep their players at home. How, I don't know. But that is the only way.

The current system is far too skewed and dominated by North American capital. The world cup, for example, is a tournament made by North Americans and hosted in North America. Russia cannot dictate any terms, and can only abide by existing ones. Furthermore most of its players are dispersed among different North American locations, playing a North American game.

If you really want to turn this thing around, listen to Fetisov. Otherwise we will probably get better, but we will never be the best. Not under these conditions.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
The only way for Russia to return to hockey domination is to keep their players at home. How, I don't know. But that is the only way.

The current system is far too skewed and dominated by North American capital. The world cup, for example, is a tournament made by North Americans and hosted in North America. Russia cannot dictate any terms, and can only abide by existing ones. Furthermore most of its players are dispersed among different North American locations, playing a North American game.

If you really want to turn this thing around, listen to Fetisov. Otherwise we will probably get better, but we will never be the best. Not under these conditions.

C'mon now, today's result goes down the same way on any sheet of ice the world over. What "terms" did Canada dictate that had any effect whatsoever over the result?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
They need D. Really miss the prime days of Markov and Gonchar. They don't have really any good puck movers on the back-end.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Hopefully young blue-liners develop.

I feel like this team will always have good forwards and it seems that goaltending depth has improved, but the blue-line is still an issue.

Why is that? Why does Russia struggle to produce good defencemen?

jimstark

May 22, 2014
The problem starts and ends with their D. Now is time for a new generation. I remember playing hockey when i was younger on a team having bad D tough we were the best in our League coming our forwards. It was killing us and very hard for us the forwards cause you never had any confidence. When you watch Russias D you will notice a lot of details where they fail. Not playing simpel enoug or not playing fast enough. Just small detalils happening during the game but with a tremendous impact on their game. I cant help thinking how good they would be if this was different..

Bob was amazing tough he was weak on the 3-2 goal. He should have had that one. The 4-2 and 5-2 was our D on its worst. Not taking the man out on and then letting Tavares goes pretty much inside Bobs goal before shooting. Its embarresing to see this happen on this Level. Coming the 3 periode i said to myselfe if they could stay calm withoyt any errors they will win. And boom we are under 5-2.

Me too i think there is a lot of positive signs we only need to think behind Ovi and Malkin (was he sick during or somthing he looked so sad and i have never seen him so bad ) build the team around Kutzneskov and getting new young guys in. As mentioned here Russia always have elite forwards and also the last year very good goalies. The future looks good but they will need to change somthing foremost get them a new Coach ( Bragin ?? )

Canadas D is right now superior to Russias D and the best team won. Sad to see Pavel not playing this game but even with him we will still have our D.

Oh how i loved the 4 min or something in the second periode with russia took over. All of a sudden our D played fast and SIMPEL and for some minutes the old CCCP was back..almost got tears in my eyes thinking about how good they can be if everyting gets in Place. Russia and Canada would be going at eachother every year!!

I am from Scandinavia so to you the Russians fans here on the forum please give some information about what the media and people in Russia thinks about the team and what the will need to to in the future not to mention about Znarok.

jimstark

May 22, 2014

I see your point but that will not happen. Look at Brazil in fotball. Lets forget the world cup in 2014 where Brazil failed big time. They are alway a contender for the Cup tough most of their player play in Europe. Why cant Russia to the same thing? Bragin also use players from MHL and USA/ Canada. To me it is about the player buying into the system and Coach. When Russia started to show up around 2006/ 2007 the Coach thing has from then until now become and issue. They need a Coach aka Bragin who simply gets the best out of the players. Even Malkin and Ovi stated in 2014 that there was problem with the system and their coach and also that they lack strategy and game plans. Russia has a serios problem regarding this

jimstark

May 22, 2014
Oh i forgot. Thanks Telegin you were amazing. He looked like Bragin had sent him straight from their Junior NT. Never ever give up. I have no problem sitting Ovi and bring in another type of this player. Got to give Znarok cred for bringing him

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
You can't win when your top two superstars are not "playing". Malkin and Ovechkin could be done internationally.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
People are way too harsh on Geno.Thought he was still one of better Russian forwards.Creating chances here and there.Just didn't want to use his body for some reason.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Why didn't Znarok use Shipachev? He made a nice assist in the previous game and couldn't be worse, than Malkin.
Yeah, I'm disappointed he didn't give Shipachyov a chance.

We did what we could. That defense wouldn't be better than a lot of NHL clubs, and we couldn't even ice our best roster against Canada due to various reasons. Malkin playing like it's July was really the only player that was way worse than the expectations.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The problem starts and ends with their D. Now is time for a new generation. I remember playing hockey when i was younger on a team having bad D tough we were the best in our League coming our forwards. It was killing us and very hard for us the forwards cause you never had any confidence. When you watch Russias D you will notice a lot of details where they fail. Not playing simpel enoug or not playing fast enough. Just small detalils happening during the game but with a tremendous impact on their game. I cant help thinking how good they would be if this was different..

Bob was amazing tough he was weak on the 3-2 goal. He should have had that one. The 4-2 and 5-2 was our D on its worst. Not taking the man out on and then letting Tavares goes pretty much inside Bobs goal before shooting. Its embarresing to see this happen on this Level. Coming the 3 periode i said to myselfe if they could stay calm withoyt any errors they will win. And boom we are under 5-2.

Me too i think there is a lot of positive signs we only need to think behind Ovi and Malkin (was he sick during or somthing he looked so sad and i have never seen him so bad ) build the team around Kutzneskov and getting new young guys in. As mentioned here Russia always have elite forwards and also the last year very good goalies. The future looks good but they will need to change somthing foremost get them a new Coach ( Bragin ?? )

Canadas D is right now superior to Russias D and the best team won. Sad to see Pavel not playing this game but even with him we will still have our D.

Oh how i loved the 4 min or something in the second periode with russia took over. All of a sudden our D played fast and SIMPEL and for some minutes the old CCCP was back..almost got tears in my eyes thinking about how good they can be if everyting gets in Place. Russia and Canada would be going at eachother every year!!

I am from Scandinavia so to you the Russians fans here on the forum please give some information about what the media and people in Russia thinks about the team and what the will need to to in the future not to mention about Znarok.

Russias D always let them down. And I am not just referring to the dmen but also their team D.

They play like a bunch of individuals.

I see your point but that will not happen. Look at Brazil in fotball. Lets forget the world cup in 2014 where Brazil failed big time. They are alway a contender for the Cup tough most of their player play in Europe. Why cant Russia to the same thing? Bragin also use players from MHL and USA/ Canada. To me it is about the player buying into the system and Coach. When Russia started to show up around 2006/ 2007 the Coach thing has from then until now become and issue. They need a Coach aka Bragin who simply gets the best out of the players. Even Malkin and Ovi stated in 2014 that there was problem with the system and their coach and also that they lack strategy and game plans. Russia has a serios problem regarding this

They can. Its a rubbish argument that keeping players in their home country will some how help them develop.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Russias D always let them down. And I am not just referring to the dmen but also their team D.

They play like a bunch of individuals.

They can. Its a rubbish argument that keeping players in their home country will some how help them develop.

Well, our D didn't always let us down. We had a pretty good D in Torino in 2006. We just didn't grow a new quality crop of defenders since then. You can't expect a team to play great D at such a high level like the World Cup, when you have average blueliners.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Why didn't Znarok use Shipachev? He made a nice assist in the previous game and couldn't be worse, than Malkin.

A lot of the time Russia's biggest guns didn't seem "into it." I obviously don't have the answers as to why, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was their way of saying, "we don't give a damn about this tournament, and we WILL be playing in the tournament we do care about - the Olympics."

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
A lot of the time Russia's biggest guns didn't seem "into it." I obviously don't have the answers as to why, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was their way of saying, "we don't give a damn about this tournament, and we WILL be playing in the tournament we do care about - the Olympics."

No, the Russians cared about this tournament. They gave it all they had, but it wasn't enough.

MaximusT

Dec 5, 2008
Im too lazy to look now but what were the face off stats last night ? Honestly you could probably the count the face offs we won on one hand, absolutely terrible.

Wasn't even close in that regard and that might have been an even greater detriment than our defense, which was shaky all game.

Of course the PP goes without saying, but that has seemingly been terrible in every best on best tournament I can remember (WCs against joke teams doesn't count btw)

Nonetheless, can't help but be disappointed after being up 2-1 with 2 mins left in the 2nd. Such a shame they couldn't pull it together once they got the lead. Almost like they thought they had it in the bag, expecting Bob to play lights out the rest of the game and bail them out....

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
C'mon now, today's result goes down the same way on any sheet of ice the world over. What "terms" did Canada dictate that had any effect whatsoever over the result?

The correct question is what terms is North American capital (namely the NHL) dictating. The answer is all of them.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
No, the Russians cared about this tournament. They gave it all they had, but it wasn't enough.

Meh, I don't think they cared. I don't think that it would have had an effect on the result even if they did care but...

The correct question is what terms is North American capital (namely the NHL) dictating. The answer is all of them.

That doesn't even make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad