World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team North America Part III

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
so entertaining to read comments on threads like this from rival fans that are forced to be cheering for same team.

GirouxDaMan

Oct 19, 2014
Sudbury, Ontario
Not a fan of this tournament or the gimmick teams. However, was I ever entertained by the TNA team. I was not a believer in all the hype for the M & M boys before the tournament started but McDavid and Mackinnon definately proved to me that they are the future of the NHL. Although, hands down the best player on the team was Gaudreau, not even close.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Bye bye NAT. I am glad to get rid of this gimmick team.

Ya me too!!! Who wants to see fast exciting hockey, with the most skilled players in the game? Not this guy! I'd much rather a less skilled team get walked over by Canada, so much fun...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

GirouxDaMan

Oct 19, 2014
Sudbury, Ontario
so entertaining to read comments on threads like this from rival fans that are forced to be cheering for same team.

Yup, reading the comments on the TNA pages was annoying and aggravating. It was nothing but Leafs, Flames and Oilers fans bashing each others players when they did something wrong and then defending their players to all heck when someone said anything slightly negative about their teams player. I mean the love fest for McDavid, Mathews and Gaudreau was way over the top. It was as if they were the only players that mattered on the team.

Do u guys even realize who led the team in scoring? McDavid, nope. Mathews, negative. It was freaking GHOST (tied with Gaudreau). That's right a defenseman. Yet no mention of him in all these pages well except for Leafs fan saying he should be demoted for Reilly of course. If Ghost played for one of your teams this page would have been filled with drool over the guy. Leafs, Oilers and Flames fan didn't care about team North America, they only cared about how their own players did and how bad the others guys played.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Yup, reading the comments on the TNA pages was annoying and aggravating. It was nothing but Leafs, Flames and Oilers fans bashing each others players when they did something wrong and then defending their players to all heck when someone said anything slightly negative about their teams player. I mean the love fest for McDavid, Mathews and Gaudreau was way over the top. It was as if they were the only players that mattered on the team.

Do u guys even realize who led the team in scoring? McDavid, nope. Mathews, negative. It was freaking GHOST (tied with Gaudreau). That's right a defenseman. Yet no mention of him in all these pages well except for Leafs fan saying he should be demoted for Reilly of course. If Ghost played for one of your teams this page would have been filled with drool over the guy. Leafs, Oilers and Flames fan didn't care about team North America, they only cared about how their own players did and how bad the others guys played.

You are right, and I think the biggest problem is all it takes is 1 person to stir the pot and say something outlandish, and then it turns into a back and forth of defending which takes over the thread. It was sad to see when a player makes a single mistake they get completely jumped on. Having said that, there were a couple players who did play pretty poorly and deserved some of the criticism.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Wish I could have seen more of team NA.

Could someone who saw a good bit of the games tell me how the Murray/Jones pairing looked?

Is that a legit top paring (NHL) ?

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site

You're real big on painting entire fanbases with your brush I see.
Generalizing in a way so similar to what your post whined about just to provide an example, I suppose. :dunno:

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

Complains about the love fest for certain players in the first paragraph while penning a love letter to Ghost in the second.

GirouxDaMan

Oct 19, 2014
Sudbury, Ontario
You're real big on painting entire fanbases with your brush I see.
Generalizing in a way so similar to what your post whined about just to provide an example, I suppose. :dunno:

Well I didn't mean every single fan of these teams. I thought it was quite evident that I was referring to the fans in the TNA game day threads. Seriously, go read them and you will see what I'm talking about.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I find it perplexing to see so many posters (sorry, but mostly Oiler fans) claiming Gaudreau is terrible in his own end.

The winger's job is to cover the points and look for any trailers. Gaudreau I think does more than that. Heck, I have seen him come screaming back up the ice and block a shot. He won't ever be a Selke winner, but he is being damned underrated on these boards for his defensive acumen. I find him quite impressive in that regard, actually, as being as creative, small and offensively potent as him I would just assume he would be a one-zone player.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I don't get why team NA would be eliminated if Russia wins? they would have the same amount of points, and their GF is better?

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

The CDN media is to be blamed for this big time. They make the narrative around players playing on Cdn teams and the fans follow suit. Fans of the game even who post on here have a hard time watching players not affiliated with their own teams/country. Like you mentioned about Ghost, I'd say the same about Parayko's overall tournament as he has impressed me more than most on the team.

I agree Johnny hockey has been best player that does not fit Matthews and McDavid narrative who've been up near the top ,but not the best.

Trocheck was 3rd-4th best player on ice last night outside of King Henrik and JH, but media won't break down how he dominated the PK shifts, skipped over on highlights everywhere I saw his goal assisted by ghost etc.

It is what it is.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I find it perplexing to see so many posters (sorry, but mostly Oiler fans) claiming Gaudreau is terrible in his own end.

The winger's job is to cover the points and look for any trailers. Gaudreau I think does more than that. Heck, I have seen him come screaming back up the ice and block a shot. He won't ever be a Selke winner, but he is being damned underrated on these boards for his defensive acumen. I find him quite impressive in that regard, actually, as being as creative, small and offensively potent as him I would just assume he would be a one-zone player.

Yea it's weird. He's just small and skilled, so people assume he can't be good in his own end.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Well...it was a hell of a ride while it lasted.

Yup... those 3 goals against in the Russia game in a few minutes was the nail in the coffin. The young guns are prone to mistakes and poor play.

Like the NHL, winning with "kids" is more difficult than it seems.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yup... those 3 goals against in the Russia game in a few minutes was the nail in the coffin. The young guns are prone to mistakes and poor play.

Not Murray's best moment, but it's a learning experience. I think all of these kids will benefit from this experience.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Farewell Team NA. Pretty tough tournament rule where five minutes cost the team a berth in the semis. If not for that one period against Russia where Murray gave up 4 goals on 4 shots, they are prepping to play Team Europe.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I actually think this tournament proved the exact opposite. Nobody gave this team a chance, but they outshot the opponent in every game by a large margin and had a positive goal differential in a group with Sweden Russia and Finland. Going 2-1 is pretty strong. With some better puck luck and a healthy Ekblad they are through.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden

+1

Yep, it will be hilarious when their house of cards comes crashing down on them this year as well. The amount of garbage Jack Eichel got the entire time. Remember people ragging on Luca Sbisa for Gaudreau dancing around him in an exhibition, well guess who's playing in the semi-finals.

Remember when people blamed Luongo for almost losing the gold medal... lol. Typical insufferable attitude of Flames, Oilers and Leafs fans

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I actually think this tournament proved the exact opposite. Nobody gave this team a chance, but they outshot the opponent in every game by a large margin and had a positive goal differential in a group with Sweden Russia and Finland. Going 2-1 is pretty strong. With some better puck luck and a healthy Ekblad they are through.

Agreed. They were really fun to watch and IMO exhibited some of the best skill at speed as any team in the tournament. I really enjoyed the opportunity to see these guys play together. Sad to have them eliminated.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
+1

Yep, it will be hilarious when their house of cards comes crashing down on them this year as well. The amount of garbage Jack Eichel got the entire time. Remember people ragging on Luca Sbisa for Gaudreau dancing around him in an exhibition, well guess who's playing in the semi-finals.

Remember when people blamed Luongo for almost losing the gold medal... lol. Typical insufferable attitude of Flames, Oilers and Leafs fans

You sound like the typical Canuck fan. (Hint: You're all whiners)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks for giving us some of the best hockey I've ever seen. Solid job boys, glad I got to witness it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad