World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team North America Part III

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
You may be right, but to base this off of a two game sample size is not a great idea. Matthews won't have McDavid in Toronto.

It's been more than 2 games and he didn't have McDavid. He did the same thing against grown men last year as well.

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
It's been more than 2 games and he didn't have McDavid. He did the same thing against grown men last year as well.

yeah and that is why he went first overall. He looks like the real deal. But anoint him a saviour and eichel a bust off a 2 sample is pretty big knee reaction.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Meanwhile, looks like Eichel is dropping down to the 4th line which is deserved. Can't stand his lackadaisical play. He's killing the 1st PP unit.

I'm starting to think he's a distant 3rd when compared to Matthews and McDavid. Closer to the rest of the guys than those 2.

Good place for him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Contrary to unpopular belief, McDavid can't do it all by himself either. Matthews has been good for McDavid as well.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

What's your point? Eichel had a very good rookie season. Out produced both Tavares and Stamkos in their rookie seasons.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
Looking to buy tix for tomorrow. Was curious to know if there is a way to determine which side NA will shoot on twice? In the first two games they shot the same side the home team (Leafs) shoot twice, but was there a reason for this?

ItRisesFromTheWaves

Jun 14, 2010
Meanwhile, looks like Eichel is dropping down to the 4th line which is deserved. Can't stand his lackadaisical play. He's killing the 1st PP unit.

I'm starting to think he's a distant 3rd when compared to Matthews and McDavid. Closer to the rest of the guys than those 2.

I've though Matthews > Eichel for a while now but now i'm convinced.

Eichel will still be a hell of a player but Matthews is a tier above.

lol yup. A few bad games in a tournament and Eichel is a tier below. GIve me a break.

Matthews is a great player and should be special. It will take years to know who is better if anyone, but you guys keep making your opinions based on a couple games and keep patting yourselves on the back.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
lol yup. A few bad games in a tournament and Eichel is a tier below. GIve me a break.

Matthews is a great player and should be special. It will take years to know who is better if anyone, but you guys keep making your opinions based on a couple games and keep patting yourselves on the back.

That may be ,,, but given what you know now... and you had a choice would you take Matthews or Eichel? I would take Matthews

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
And neither of them will have Scheifele.

Yup Schiefele
Schiefele scans the play and is the real C on that line.

If they play Canada

Crosby line probably match up to that line.
Crosby line iq is through the roof.
We will see how these 3 match up to them.

Who is playing in net next game?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Surely TNA would match Couturier against Crosby the way the Flyers do?

That's my bet. Though I think the McD/Scheifele/Matthews line might also match up well. Nice balance of skill, speed and smarts.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC

And a few good games and people are combatting the consensus #1 overall pick for the title of GOAT... Don’t worry these boards are crazy with people judging based on short performances.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Surely TNA would match Couturier against Crosby the way the Flyers do?

The flyers matchup Couturier against Malkin, not Crosby.

Nhl matchups are pointless anyways since Crosby is playing with Bergeron and Marchand, you can't single in on him like in the Nhl.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
That may be ,,, but given what you know now... and you had a choice would you take Matthews or Eichel? I would take Matthews

To me it's mostly about how the NHL is now. If it was 2005/06, Eichel would dominate. Matthews' skillset works better in the no-room-to-breathe 2016 NHL even if people believe he's overall less talented than Eichel.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
U.S. kids on Team N.A.??

Can someone please tell me how many US kids are on Team NA? :help:

I can’t find this info anywhere, all I can find is which NHL team each players comes from...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
They don't actually and haven't really for years...I think a Flyers fan would know. ;)

Last 3 years, it's 95-20 minutes in favor of playing against Crosby.

Yep, Giroux gets Malkin now and Couturier gets Crosby...

Though there has been a trend of throwing Couturier out vs Malkin early in a game for a shift or two just to wind him up, then giving him Crosby full-time.

And for reference:

Couturier vs Crosby career: 57.1% GF/60 at 5v5 (114:24 TOI (4th most common opponent))

Crosby vs Couturier: 1.57 GF/60.
Crosby vs everyone else since 2011: 3.55 GF/60

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Anyone else think that the 2nd line is far more consistent and that the McDavid line would benefit more from easier matchups? I dunno selection seems weird, hoping Larkin gets a shot again in the next game, barely even noticed JT Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad