World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team North America Part III

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
McLellan finding good lines. It's like he knew the exhibition games were for working the kinks out?

I'm pumped for this team. First up are the Finns. They play a disciplined team game. The Finns are weak on D though, that's where we need to exploit. Heavy forecheck and pressure on their D. Force them to panic and turn the puck over.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid and Scheifele showed great chemistry. Matthews and Scheifele showed great chemistry. And McDavid and Matthews should work well in theory.

Matthews will likely be doing netfront presence / puck retrieval / finishing duties and Scheifele doing much of the same thing while McDavid would be running the show.

I have high hopes for that line but the loss of Drouin-Nuge-MacK line might be too severe a blow...

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Auston 'Only on the team because it's in Toronto' Matthews has been one of the teams best forwards according to McLellan.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
McLellan finding good lines. It's like he knew the exhibition games were for working the kinks out?

I'm pumped for this team. First up are the Finns. They play a disciplined team game. The Finns are weak on D though, that's where we need to exploit. Heavy forecheck and pressure on their D. Force them to panic and turn the puck over.

RE: RNH

I liked him a lot in his rookie year but he didn't look ready physically. He looks to have gotten strong, and I'd say in the last year his 2-way game has been noticeably better. Not taking shots at your team but like I said just not sure how that environment has played on these kids' minds.

McDavid and Leon are fresh, along with Nurse but you look at people like Hall, Eberle, RNH, how did it effect them? - I won't pretend to have the answer.

It's nice you have good C depth though, maybe at some point you can draw upon that, and change up the defense a bit more?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
RE: RNH

I liked him a lot in his rookie year but he didn't look ready physically. He looks to have gotten strong, and I'd say in the last year his 2-way game has been noticeably better. Not taking shots at your team but like I said just not sure how that environment has played on these kids' minds.

McDavid and Leon are fresh, along with Nurse but you look at people like Hall, Eberle, RNH, how did it effect them? - I won't pretend to have the answer.

It's nice you have good C depth though, maybe at some point you can draw upon that, and change up the defense a bit more?

It's a new era. New management, new coach, McDavids team, new arena. I won't deny the ineptitude of the past, but it's a chapter we've closed and moved on from.

Good to notice Nuge's two-way game, he's a solid player. Not really being talked about, with Hall gone and this clearly McDavids team, I think Nuge could be due for a breakout. Pressure is low for him this year.

Larsson is a nice addition, Klefbom is legit. Klef's a stud, I know lots of Leafs fans who are big in the analytics community rave about Klef, the eye test matches the analytics. But, bigger sample size. Same with Brandon Davidson, he's a darling in the analytics community, many people are high on him. We're coming together as a team though and have a vision, we haven't had this in a decade.

Back to Team NA, Rielly has impressed. How about Ekblad? He's only 20. 20 years old :amazed:. Looks like he's in his mid 30s. He'll replace Doughty as the best D man in the game in the next 3-5 years in my view. What a stud.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's a new era. New management, new coach, McDavids team, new arena. I won't deny the ineptitude of the past, but it's a chapter we've closed and moved on from.

Good to notice Nuge's two-way game, he's a solid player. Not really being talked about, with Hall gone and this clearly McDavids team, I think Nuge could be due for a breakout. Pressure is low for him this year.

Larsson is a nice addition, Klefbom is legit. Klef's a stud, I know lots of Leafs fans who are big in the analytics community rave about Klef, the eye test matches the analytics. But, bigger sample size. Same with Brandon Davidson, he's a darling in the analytics community, many people are high on him. We're coming together as a team though and have a vision, we haven't had this in a decade.

Back to Team NA, Rielly has impressed. How about Ekblad? He's only 20. 20 years old :amazed:. Looks like he's in his mid 30s. He'll replace Doughty as the best D man in the game in the next 3-5 years in my view. What a stud.

RNH is going to be hidden in the line up and get some favorable match ups, he should rip apart on 3rd line/3rd pairing coverage, I imagine Yakupov is going to make up 2/3 of a line with him?

I like Klefbom, I am hoping his durability improves for you but should be good. Top pairing guy I haven't seen enough of Davidson to make a fair comment on him.

Rielly has taken gigantic leaps forward since Babcock came and he had a handicap with Hunwick and no PP (until Phaneuf left) - I've liked him this tournament, I think some of his mistakes (they happen to all Dmen) are being overstated by people with agendas on the board.

In terms of Ekblad, just a great defenseman in the making. It's so cool we know there is a great succession in place. Weber anchored top pairing for 2 Olympics for team Canada and we know we have Doughty to step up now and handle it, Weber can slide back to 2nd pairing, and we have Letang, Subban, Pietrangelo and Ekblad who can step in for Team Canada for years to come.

You have to love how fortunate we are as fans to get to see these athletes. Montreal is a giant rival for us but how can I hate on Price or say anything negative? Hell of a talent.

McDavid will generate excitement for years to come and I hope other fans can recognize that Matthews should be a special talent in his own right, even if he is in the Blue and White.

The U23 team (and team Europe) was gimmicky and something I didn't like about this tournament BUT it's conflicting internally for me because in the same breathe I am really entertained watching them play.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
For the ppl that missed the lines before the last thread was closed

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You have to love how fortunate we are as fans to get to see these athletes. Montreal is a giant rival for us but how can I hate on Price or say anything negative? Hell of a talent.

McDavid will generate excitement for years to come and I hope other fans can recognize that Matthews should be a special talent in his own right, even if he is in the Blue and White.

The U23 team (and team Europe) was gimmicky and something I didn't like about this tournament BUT it's conflicting internally for me because in the same breathe I am really entertained watching them play.

I know what you mean. I can't even hate on Matthews or Gaudreau, it's kind of brought fans together. NHL rivalries are put on hold for a couple weeks.

McDavid is McDavid. He's just on a different level, he's such a modest kid he doesn't even like talking about himself and would rather attention go elsewhere. Pretty hard to hate, he doesn't whine at refs or anything like that. He broke his collarbone and picked up his stick with the same arm barely wincing.

You guys got a damn good one in Matthews. I didn't expect Matthews to be this versatile, he's a complete player. He'll be a top 5 player in this league one day. We're seeing the new wave with McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, and Barkov as the next generation. Matthews will be a two-way beast with a 200 foot game, responsible in all zones. Babcock will love him, he'll be your #1C by the end of the year. Probably your captain when you guys name one after this year.

Leaf fans should be happy, you guys got a franchise game changing centre. I know lots of Oiler fans have been impressed, and obviously our coach is impressed. He's legit, I'll hate the Leafs when the season starts, but Matthews is going to be one of my favourite players. I hope he succeeds, he's a special player.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
McDavid should not be on the first line anymore. He get's the most ice time per game and has done nothing with it.

He's too talented to take out of the top 6, I'd move him to the second line. Instead of switching up his linemates hoping to get him going, why not put linemates that already work well on the first line, and give McDavid the benefit of lesser coverage on the second line? If McDavid was anyone else, he would not be on the first line anymore. Heck, if the coach was anyone other than McLellan, he probably wouldn't be on the first line anymore. Crosby's been moved off the first line at times, yet McDavid seems untouchable. Gaudreau deserves to be on the first line 10X more than McDavid.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
McDavid should not be on the first line anymore. He get's the most ice time per game and has done nothing with it.

He's too talented to take out of the top 6, I'd move him to the second line. Instead of switching up his linemates hoping to get him going, why not put linemates that already work well on the first line, and give McDavid the benefit of lesser coverage on the second line? If McDavid was anyone else, he would not be on the first line anymore. Heck, if the coach was anyone other than McLellan, he probably wouldn't be on the first line anymore. Crosby's been moved off the first line at times, yet McDavid seems untouchable. Gaudreau deserves to be on the first line 10X more than McDavid.

Problem is like Crosby, it seems kind of difficult to find linemates that maximize his ability.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Why on earth do they keep insisting on putting Gaudreau with Eichel!?!

I don't like it either.

I would almost rather see him with RNH, Nuge would let Johnny be "the guy" on the line and drive the play. Nuge doesn't need to be a driver, he can play a responsible 200 foot game and support Johnny at centre.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Problem is like Crosby, it seems kind of difficult to find linemates that maximize his ability.

I think the most skilled guy I ever saw click with Crosby was Hossa in that brief run. Other then that he just makes the guys around him better.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
For the ppl that missed the lines before the last thread was closed

That's pretty close to how I'd have it. I really like the McDavid line. I'd go with the following:

Matthews/McDavid/Scheifele
Gaudreau/RNH/McKinnon
Larkin/Eichel/Saad
Drouin/Couturier/Miller

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think the most skilled guy I ever saw click with Crosby was Hossa in that brief run. Other then that he just makes the guys around him better.

Both Crosby and McDavid want potato linemates who are big, strong, physical grinders IMO(And at least one of them should also be able to finish). That's why I'd like to see something like Miller with McDavid.

Still, Matthews and Scheifele can do a similar thing and they both have finishing ability.

If this doesn't work out I'd replace Matthews with Miller and replace Eichel with Matthews. I actually feel like Matthews with Gaudreau could be a better way of doing things than this proposed lineup. Would like to hear some thoughts.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Both Crosby and McDavid want potato linemates who are big, strong, physical grinders IMO(And at least one of them should also be able to finish). That's why I'd like to see something like Miller with McDavid.

Still, Matthews and Scheifele can do a similar thing and they both have finishing ability.

If this doesn't work out I'd replace Matthews with Miller and replace Eichel with Matthews. I actually feel like Matthews with Gaudreau could be a better way of doing things than this proposed lineup. Would like to hear some thoughts.

Matthews has some similar qualities to Monahan, maybe a bit more high end (not necessarily right now but he's on his way) so I could see Gaudreau-Matthews working.

Scheif is a really good big body who can win a lot of puck battles and he's very talented but the only thing I'd say for him is I wish he would shoot just a bit more. Saad could be a candidate? He can finish.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Matthews has some similar qualities to Monahan, maybe a bit more high end (not necessarily right now but he's on his way) so I could see Gaudreau-Matthews working.

Scheif is a really good big body who can win a lot of puck battles and he's very talented but the only thing I'd say for him is I wish he would shoot just a bit more. Saad could be a candidate? He can finish.

Saad is a candidate.

Scheifele would imo be perfect with McDavid and the players I had in mind for the 3rd member of the line were Miller, Matthews and Saad.

Scheifele is able to finish though, he had 2 posts in the first match where IMO he played really well with McDavid.

In a tournament like this I guess it doesn't matter because a player like Miller might be the best option for 4th line anyway, but the true strength in players like McDavid IMO is that they are able to make bottom 6 players like Maroon almost PPG players because they match well with him and then the depth is going to be crazy. That's also the exact same thing that Crosby does with Penguins.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Surprise surprise, Larkin, again, had to prove himself to get into the top six. Had to do, too, when he was at the World Juniors. Guy is a beast and should easily get more ice time.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
RNH is going to be hidden in the line up and get some favorable match ups, he should rip apart on 3rd line/3rd pairing coverage, I imagine Yakupov is going to make up 2/3 of a line with him?

Quite the opposite actually. RNH has always handled other teams top lines. I expect that to continue so that Draisaitl and McDavid can feast on the second and third lines.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Auston 'Only on the team because it's in Toronto' Matthews has been one of the teams best forwards according to McLellan.

The haters can eat their crow with that one.

Honest to god it's like some people around here would rather cut their own nuts off than give Matthews his credit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Saad is a candidate.

Scheifele would imo be perfect with McDavid and the players I had in mind for the 3rd member of the line were Miller, Matthews and Saad.

Scheifele is able to finish though, he had 2 posts in the first match where IMO he played really well with McDavid.

In a tournament like this I guess it doesn't matter because a player like Miller might be the best option for 4th line anyway, but the true strength in players like McDavid IMO is that they are able to make bottom 6 players like Maroon almost PPG players because they match well with him and then the depth is going to be crazy. That's also the exact same thing that Crosby does with Penguins.

Yeah, good centres make players around him better. Scheif should definitely be up there with McDavid. Saad might be a candidate, same with Matthews, don't think Miller is quite there though...what a good problem to have...so much talent haha.

Quite the opposite actually. RNH has always handled other teams top lines. I expect that to continue so that Draisaitl and McDavid can feast on the second and third lines.

I could see on home ice the Oilers trying for that match up, if they are on the road you know every coach is going to put his best out against McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad