World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team North America (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
First shot at a lineup

Drouin-McDavid-MacKinnon
Gaudreau-Monahan-Eichel
Saad-Couturier-Scheifele
Larkin-Nugent Hopkins-Miller
Matthews

Reilly-Ekblad
Murray-Jones
Gostisbehere-Parayko
Trouba

Murray
Gibson
Hellebuyck

Edit: For some reason I was thinking Ekblad was a LHS; if they stick with lefty-righty pairings I agree that Trouba probably becomes the #7. I think the duo of McDavid and MacKinnon can literally skate circles around anybody in this tournament; if playoff Drouin shows up in the fall watch out. Second line is self explanatory. Third line is the obvious shut down line. Couturier is one of the best defensive players in the league and if this team actually wants to upset anybody late in the tournament I guarantee he will be a huge part of it. Don't know how management and coaching will use Matthews, feel like it's safest to just have him as the 13th forward at this point. Murray has done more than enough to be the number one goalie going into this.
I love that line up! That top 6 is absolutely dirty.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Drouin MacKinnon Larkin
Gaudreau Monahan Eichel
Saad McDavid RNH
Couturier Matthews Scheifele

Ekblad Murray
Jones Gostisbehere
Rielly Parayko

Murray
Gibson
Hellebuyck

A little bit of chemistry on every top 9 line with a devastating amount of talent

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You're saying that Galchenyuk only had 1 season where he scored more than 20 goals and 50 points, yet the only ones on the roster who had more than 1 season with 20+ goals and 50+ points are Saad, Monahan, Mackinnon and Gaudreau. Only 4 out of the 13 forwards did that.

Also since you're talking about small sample size (Galchenyuk only has 1 season of 20+ goals, 50+ pts), well 5 players among the forwards either played only 1 season or less, and Galchenyuk outproduced them all.

The only ones that are equal or better than Galchenyuk right now are Mackinnon, Hopkins, Scheifele, Saad, Gaudreau, Monahan, and McDavid.

That leaves 6 spots
As good as Eichel is, Galchenyuk did better than him last season. Same goes for Larkin and Jenner.

Then you have Miller, who definitely shouldn't have been in this roster (there are 5+ more players that weren't named, that most people would take over him). Same goes for Couturier

Drouin, who a few months ago was barely in the nhl, and only had a good 17 games (playoffs). His highest goal total in a season or playoffs is 5, and his highest point total is 32. :help:

And finally you have Matthews who did not even play a single professional game, but gets taken (LOL).

I would definitely take Galchenyuk over these last 6 players. And also Galchenyuk is versatile, he can play left wing, center, or even right wing (He played most of his games in the nhl on the left, he is a natural center and plays best there, and he scored most of his goals on the right).

I'd take Eichel, Larkin, Drouin and Matthews over Galchenyuk, I think most people would. The team also needs PK'ers and physical two-way players (Couturier & Miller). Start a poll on HF if you believe Galchenyuk is easily better than some of the skill players you expect him to replace. Miller/Couturier and Galchenyuk wouldn't have the same roles either - so compare him to the (expected) point producing forwards on that team. Heck, I'd even take Huberdeau (who also didn't make the team) over Galchenyuk, especially if you're going to use him at wing...

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Here are my projected lines:

Gaudreau - McDavid - Schfeiele
Drouin - Eichel - MacKinnon (this was almost a line in Halifax)
Saad - Monahan - Larkin
Couturier - Matthews - Miller/RNH
RNH/Miller

Rielly - Ekblad
Murray - Jones
Gostisbehere - Parayko
Trouba

Murray
Gibson
Hellebuyck

I would switch Couts and Monahan around there. Couts is a much more reliable 2-way player, and Monahan can play the wing. I would probably also switch RNH and Scheifele around, and probably have Scheifele center that line instead of Matthews. I'd like to see Parayko and Trouba switch spots, but chances are that Trouba and Murray become pretty interchangeable.

Gaudreau - McDavid - RNH
Drouin - Eichel - MacKinnon
Saad - Couturier - Larkin
Monahan - Scheifele - Matthews

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
This team is going to be entertaining as hell.

When you start seeing the lines come together, it's clear there is a lot of talent on offer.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Gaudreau-McDavid-Scheifele
Drouin-Eichel-Mackinnon
Saad-RNH-Larkin
Couturier-Monahan-Miller
Matthews

McDavid excels with big bodies like Scheifele who will get him the puck. Hesitant about putting Gaudreau on this line but he is the second most skilled player on this team so it makes sense. I could see Matthews playing 1st line LW to get another big body there though. Or even Saad.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Gaudreau - Monahan - Eichel
Larkin - McDavid - MacKinnon
Matthews - Nugent-Hopkins - Scheifele
Saad - Couturier - Miller
Drouin

Rielly - Ekblad
Murray - Jones
Trouba - Parayko
Gostisbehere

I think that you need a real, strong two-way checking, agressive, and physical line for this team that will get the job done and play the toughest minutes. That's why I believe Saad, the big body with great skills and defensive abilities and experience, will be playing here with Couturier, and possibly Miller or Scheifele. I also believe that one of Monahan/Nugent-Hopkins could be used in a shut-down role possibly.

Larkin-McDavid-MacKinnon might be the fastest line ever in history of hockey. :amazed:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
It's not all about goals. Galchenyuk has one season with over 20 goals and 50 points, and suddenly he's a lock for this team...(according to some people).

The only players on that list that you could argue for over Galchenyuk are Couturier & Miller, and they both bring a style of physical play that Galchenyuk doesn't. So I don't see the issue here...

Drouin wasnt good enough to be in the NHL up until a few months ago, go figure! Being apart of a good hockey team helps alot i guess....

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
RNH: Why? I can think of at least 5 to 7 players who'd be more deserving.

Also, even though I'm from Zurich, and even though I think Matthews is a beast, I believe he's only there for marketing reasons. This entire team was created to showcase McDavid, Eichel & Matthews.

Anyway, I believe the lineup may be something like this:

Drouin - McDavid - MacKinnon
Gaudreau - Monahan - Saad
Larkin - RNH - Eichel
Miller - Couturier - Scheifele
Matthews

Rielly - Ekblad
Ghost - Parayko
Murray - Jones
Trouba

Murray
Gibson
Hellebuyck

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Also being a good hockey player ;)

his own GM and coach didnt get that memo until it was almost too late tho. now hes good enough to be on the team over Galchenyuk (who scored 30 goals and almost had 60 points mainly after playing center for just 1 month)? gimme a break

leaving Galchenyuk off this team is as bad as leaving T. Johnson, Faulk (in favor of JJ, Callahan, Abdelkader), Backlund, Lindholm etc etc., off their respective teams. FFS Sbisa is gonna be playing in this tournament..

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
his own GM and coach didnt get that memo until it was almost too late tho. now hes good enough to be on the team over Galchenyuk (who scored 30 goals and almost had 60 points mainly after playing center for just 1 month)? gimme a break

leaving Galchenyuk off this team is as bad as leaving T. Johnson, Faulk (in favor of JJ, Callahan, Abdelkader), Backlund, Lindholm etc etc., off their respective teams. FFS Sbisa is gonna be playing in this tournament..

I agree with you that Galchenyuk should be on this team.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
In theory, I agree. However, I don't see them getting out of a group that features FIN, SWE & RUS.

Crazy as this may sound to some...looking at that lineup...they can beat any of those teams...top to bottom, definitely more talented than Suomi..

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Gaudreau - Monahan - Eichel
Larkin - McDavid - MacKinnon
Matthews - Nugent-Hopkins - Scheifele
Saad - Couturier - Miller
Drouin

Rielly - Ekblad
Murray - Jones
Trouba - Parayko
Gostisbehere

I think that you need a real, strong two-way checking, agressive, and physical line for this team that will get the job done and play the toughest minutes. That's why I believe Saad, the big body with great skills and defensive abilities and experience, will be playing here with Couturier, and possibly Miller or Scheifele. I also believe that one of Monahan/Nugent-Hopkins could be used in a shut-down role possibly.

Larkin-McDavid-MacKinnon might be the fastest line ever in history of hockey. :amazed:

Holy hell that line would be something to watch!! But I think I'd like to see Mackinnon stay at Center and throw Eichel on McDavid's line.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well with Hall not making Team Canada, looks like Team NA is my team. It goes without saying, if it comes down to Team NA v Canada, country first.

McDavid and RNH on the squad. Gaudreau, Eichel, Scheifele, Parayko (my favourite non-Oiler player) on the Young Gunz. Looks like this is my team.

Odds are they'll go 0-3. They'll be in tough against the Swedes, Russians, and Finns.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Drouin wasnt good enough to be in the NHL up until a few months ago, go figure! Being apart of a good hockey team helps alot i guess....

He wasn't just part of a good team. He wanted the puck on his stick, and was one of their best /most dangerous players every time he was on the ice...

Lethal Speed, Lethal Shot

Drouin's a Killer Babyyyy !

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
I'd take Eichel, Larkin, Drouin and Matthews over Galchenyuk, I think most people would. The team also needs PK'ers and physical two-way players (Couturier & Miller). Start a poll on HF if you believe Galchenyuk is easily better than some of the skill players you expect him to replace. Miller/Couturier and Galchenyuk wouldn't have the same roles either - so compare him to the (expected) point producing forwards on that team. Heck, I'd even take Huberdeau (who also didn't make the team) over Galchenyuk, especially if you're going to use him at wing...

Galchenyuk is a way better goal scorer than....Eichel,Larkin,Mathews,Drouin......30 goals last year proves that.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad