World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Canada (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It doesn't hurt that he has a cannon of a shot. Recall he scored a memorable goal against Russians in Vancouver...

Don't forget this important goal:

QxPDHqw.gif

The puck was in the net before the goaltender could even react to the pass.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Those are some interesting picks. Burns is no surprise on defence, nor is Burns. Crazy to think that another 2003 draftee makes an appearance at (nearly) the highest level for Canada. The Muzzin pick is kind of odd, but I can understand it. I suspect that Canada wanted some size, in addition to a left handed defencceman. Babcock prefers defencemen to play their strong side, and Armstrong likes size and defence on his NHL team. Muzzin provides that. Giordano and Brodie are better offensively and provide better skating, but that probably isn't what Hockey Canada was looking for. Muzzin is somewhat redundant though, in that his main claim to fame is playing with Doughty, but we have already seen Keith and Vlasic do that extremely well internationally.

Overall, I would not have picked Muzzin. I'm glad that Giordano and Brodie weren't picked, as their refusal to play at the World Championship put a bad taste in my mouth, and really I don't care about the result of this year anyway. Better Muzzin (played well last year) than them. I would have picked Letang though. He's a tier above Muzzin as a player. Thinking about it, if Canada is up one goal Muzzin is a good option, but so is every other player in Canada's top six. If Canada is down a goal, Muzzin isn't very useful, but Letang becomes invaluable. Putting Pietrangelo on the left and having Letang in waiting in case offence is needed sounds like a better plan to me, but the Muzzin pick isn't terrible.

Thinking about it for a bit, I do think that the Thornton pick is bad. There are some positives - Thornton had a very good year, could centre an effective defensive line, seems like a good locker room guy. There are issues though. On a team loaded with centres, Thornton is another player who can only play centre. Who moves over from Crosby/Tavares/Toews/Getzlaf? I suppose that Tavares could, but I don't like that he has to move over for a worse player. If none of them move, Thornton is probably the 13th forward, but his lack of versatility renders him irrelevant in that role. I'm also skeptical about picking an older player based on the strength of this past season. Thornton is going to be coming off a short off season, and older players tend to be prone to peaks and valleys in their play on a year to year basis. My best guess is that Hockey Canada wants some size and experience, but with Getzlaf already there I don't understand picking Thornton. The possibility also exists that with so many elite players, slower players like Thornton can be left out to dry.

I'm glad that Giroux was picked, as a reward for him, but the structure of the roster is odd. Giroux is yet another centre, but the team now already has Crosby/Tavares/Getzlaf/Toews/Thornton as players who have only played centre for Canada internationally. Adding Giroux seems redundant. Giroux has wing experience, but playmaking wingers don't fit Canada's playstyle so well. Marchand is a good pick, as is Duchene. I really don't understand picking Thornton though. I really do think that Canada would have been better off picking another winger (Hall/O'Reilly) just for roster balance. This team is quite heavy on players that likely have to play centre to be effective.

Very surprised that Perry was not selected. I assumed, wrongly, that he was a given with Getzlaf included. When he went to play in the World Championship it seemed like a lock. I do think that Hockey Canada has better options, but I am surprised. Another reason I find the Thornton pick bad is that it kind of ruins the idea that World Championship participation is a significant factor for Hockey Canada. Perry has been very loyal to Hockey Canada, as have O'Reilly and Hall for the most part. If they're picking a player for a presumably minor role, and especially for this joke tournament, why not reward loyal soldiers who are pretty much as good as Thornton anyway? Especially when those players (natural wingers) fit the team's needs much better.

In a few ways this roster looks like a step back from the selections for the 2014 Olympics. No Kunitz debacle at least. Now, in order to bring out the backlash that this idiotic format deserves, I will begin hoping that the Canadian 24 and overs lose to the Young Gunz on an overtime goal from McDavid.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Doug Armstrong screwed up.

What are your exact qualifications?

Remember the *****ing about the Sochi defense? How did that D core work out? Perhaps these guys at the highest levels of hockey know what their doing when it comes to their selections? Imagine that.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'd take Brodie and Giordano over Muzzin.

They shouldn't have turned down Canada this spring for no good reason. I'm glad Hockey Canada takes snubs from borderline players seriously.

Thornton is redundant with Getzlaf on the team. Hopefully he wins the Cup, enjoys his summer, and gracefully bows out with an "undisclosed injury" so that Canada can add another left-shooting winger, which is desperately needed. Hall would make sense to slot alongside Crosby and Bergeron. Couture would be in contention as well after his playoff performance.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I knew Hall wasn't making the team.

He's a liability.

His performance during the last two IIHF tournaments indicates otherwise. He led all Canadian forwards in ice time during the gold medal win the year in Moscow. He's earned the trust of two respected coaches in McLellan and Peters.

Moreover, in recent memory I have not seen a LW mesh with Crosby as well as Hall did in the 2015 WHC.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Those are some interesting picks. Burns is no surprise on defence, nor is Burns. Crazy to think that another 2003 draftee makes an appearance at (nearly) the highest level for Canada. The Muzzin pick is kind of odd, but I can understand it. I suspect that Canada wanted some size, in addition to a left handed defencceman. Babcock prefers defencemen to play their strong side, and Armstrong likes size and defence on his NHL team. Muzzin provides that. Giordano and Brodie are better offensively and provide better skating, but that probably isn't what Hockey Canada was looking for. Muzzin is somewhat redundant though, in that his main claim to fame is playing with Doughty, but we have already seen Keith and Vlasic do that extremely well internationally.

Overall, I would not have picked Muzzin. I'm glad that Giordano and Brodie weren't picked, as their refusal to play at the World Championship put a bad taste in my mouth, and really I don't care about the result of this year anyway. Better Muzzin (played well last year) than them. I would have picked Letang though. He's a tier above Muzzin as a player. Thinking about it, if Canada is up one goal Muzzin is a good option, but so is every other player in Canada's top six. If Canada is down a goal, Muzzin isn't very useful, but Letang becomes invaluable. Putting Pietrangelo on the left and having Letang in waiting in case offence is needed sounds like a better plan to me, but the Muzzin pick isn't terrible.

Thinking about it for a bit, I do think that the Thornton pick is bad. There are some positives - Thornton had a very good year, could centre an effective defensive line, seems like a good locker room guy. There are issues though. On a team loaded with centres, Thornton is another player who can only play centre. Who moves over from Crosby/Tavares/Toews/Getzlaf? I suppose that Tavares could, but I don't like that he has to move over for a worse player. If none of them move, Thornton is probably the 13th forward, but his lack of versatility renders him irrelevant in that role. I'm also skeptical about picking an older player based on the strength of this past season. Thornton is going to be coming off a short off season, and older players tend to be prone to peaks and valleys in their play on a year to year basis. My best guess is that Hockey Canada wants some size and experience, but with Getzlaf already there I don't understand picking Thornton. The possibility also exists that with so many elite players, slower players like Thornton can be left out to dry.

I'm glad that Giroux was picked, as a reward for him, but the structure of the roster is odd. Giroux is yet another centre, but the team now already has Crosby/Tavares/Getzlaf/Toews/Thornton as players who have only played centre for Canada internationally. Adding Giroux seems redundant. Giroux has wing experience, but playmaking wingers don't fit Canada's playstyle so well. Marchand is a good pick, as is Duchene. I really don't understand picking Thornton though. I really do think that Canada would have been better off picking another winger (Hall/O'Reilly) just for roster balance. This team is quite heavy on players that likely have to play centre to be effective.

Very surprised that Perry was not selected. I assumed, wrongly, that he was a given with Getzlaf included. When he went to play in the World Championship it seemed like a lock. I do think that Hockey Canada has better options, but I am surprised. Another reason I find the Thornton pick bad is that it kind of ruins the idea that World Championship participation is a significant factor for Hockey Canada. Perry has been very loyal to Hockey Canada, as have O'Reilly and Hall for the most part. If they're picking a player for a presumably minor role, and especially for this joke tournament, why not reward loyal soldiers who are pretty much as good as Thornton anyway? Especially when those players (natural wingers) fit the team's needs much better.

In a few ways this roster looks like a step back from the selections for the 2014 Olympics. No Kunitz debacle at least. Now, in order to bring out the backlash that this idiotic format deserves, I will begin hoping that the Canadian 24 and overs lose to the Young Gunz on an overtime goal from McDavid.

Tavares has played wing in a TC uni...2009 WJ for starters, pretty sure Quinn had him on the right side...Really, Tavares has no problem playing any forward position...

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Weber is probably the best defenseman in the league on the boards in the D zone and he has exceptional gap control (which is why he's part of one of the best shutdown pairs in the league). This would be fairly obvious if you watch him, which I'm sure you don't.

If Weber is so good defensively why did other teams skate circles around him this season?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
His performance during the last two IIHF tournaments indicates otherwise. He led all Canadian forwards in ice time during the gold medal win the year in Moscow. He's earned the trust of two respected coaches in McLellan and Peters.

Moreover, in recent memory I have not seen a LW mesh with Crosby as well as Hall did in the 2015 WHC.

Hall is one of the top scoring left wingers in the league yet still didn't make the team.

I guess the management group doesn't agree with you.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
Benn-Getzlaf-Seguin
Marchand-Toews-Bergeron
Duchene/Carter- Thornton-Giroux
Duchene/Carter

Keith-Weber
MEV-Doughty
Muzzin-Petro
Burns

Price
Holtby

Last edited:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
There are some TC picks that I am not too happy about, but in the end, it really doesn't matter. TC will still be the favorite to win, and they should win with that line-up. Of course any of the other countries can beat Canada on any given day, but they shouldn't. Canada left off players who would be first line players on any other team.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
the Muzzin pick was pretty bad but probably won't make a big difference. Giordano, Brodie, Subban or Letang should've been picked over him

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
poor Hall... I legitimately feel bad for the guy. I bet he wishes he was never drafted by the Oilers.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Wow. Just wow.

I'm incredibly surprised - positively - that they selected BOTH Giroux and Thornton!! :nod: :) I'm incredibly happy for both of them they deserve it. I definitely didn't see that coming.

I love both so much and now they are both on the team!!
And I'm obvisouly happy for Burns!!! :)

Jake Muzzin, Matt Duchene, and Brad Marchand, and Alex Pietrangelo are all deserving choices and I'm happy for them. It's a fantastic group of players. What I still can't believe is they selected Giroux and Thornton :laugh: that really makes me happy.

team canada fan

Apr 11, 2016
Northern Ontario
great overall team! ideally would have liked Hall or Couture or O'Reilly instead of Thornton, as we're top heavy in centres, and especially a pure winger like Taylor Hall seems to make for better overall team composition. However one slightly less than perfect pick is not going to derail this team which has to be considered the heavy favourites to win it all. The speed of the U-23 squad is going to be tantalizing and if Matt Murray plays out of his mind in goal, the U-23ers have a chance! p.s. I have no complaints whatsoever with Muzzin as 3rd LHD. Muzzin really impressed me at WHC last year, and he did not regress at all this year, but instead progressed. He's got more offensive talent and skill than most give him credit for, and of course to be named to a "Babcock" team, it's a given that a D-man named to this team is rock-solid defensively.
Disappointed though for Letang, Subban, Perry, Couture, Stone, O'Reilly, Hall and Seabrook. Could take all the best Canadian players not picked, call it "Team Snub", and that team would be a real force to be reckoned with in this tournament. It's already a gimmicky tournament.....add 'Team Snub', and the tournament will be right over the top...

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
It doesn't hurt that he has a cannon of a shot. Recall he scored a memorable goal against Russians in Vancouver...

Absolutely. Wouldn't forget that! I was focusing in on his defensive ability, which some on here believe is non-existent, for some inexplicable reason. Has he lost a step from 3 or 4 years ago? Yes, but he's still a dominant defenseman.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
the Muzzin pick was pretty bad but probably won't make a big difference. Giordano, Brodie, Subban or Letang should've been picked over him

this. I hate Calgary but Brodie got the short end of the stick here if they were looking for a LHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad