World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Canada (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Making this roster is gonna be extremely tough for the managers.

I really like Brendan Gallagher's game in Montreal and think he has to be seriously considered here. He has tenacity, the speed, he can score, he battles, he hits, and plays a tough hockey, he's really in my opinion the perfect role player/13th forward for Team Canada that can eventually step up and create some energy on the ice if needed.

Then, I can't really imagine anyone leaving O'Reilly or Hall ouf the roster, as for now. But that would mean only one of Duchene/Nash could still get in.

And you think that's a difficult choice? I've always been a Nash booster and I love my Brampton connections, but Nash's time on the NT is over. I'll take Duchene, thank you very much. In fact I'd pick Carter or possibly even Sharp over any of Getzlaf/Perry/Nash.

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
What I would like to see.

Patrice Bergeron - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos
Jamie Benn - Claude Giroux - Tyler Seguin
Taylor Hall - Jonathan Toews - John Tavares
Matt Duchene - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Jeff Carter / ROR

Drew Doughty - Shea Weber
Duncan Keith - Brent Burns
M.E. Vlasic - PK Subban
TJ Brodie / Alex Pietrangelo

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
M.A. Fleury
(Roberto Luongo / Corey Crawford / Steve Mason)

What a team... Omg.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Just got an idea....

Hall-Bergeron-Stamkos
Tavares-Giroux-Perry.

Would love to see this.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
[/B]

And you think that's a difficult choice? I've always been a Nash booster and I love my Brampton connections, but Nash's time on the NT is over. I'll take Duchene, thank you very much. In fact I'd pick Carter or possibly even Sharp over any of Getzlaf/Perry/Nash.
Yeah, I am not against it. I love Duchene. I also think Carter is now a better option than Getzlaf.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
This is my first guess at the 16-player roster: (must be 2 goaltenders and 14 skaters)

G: (2) Price, Holtby
D: (4) Keith, Doughty, Weber, Subban
F: (10) Crosby, Benn, Seguin, Tavares, Toews, Stamkos, Bergeron, Perry, Hall, O'Reilly

It's what I would have anyway.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is my first guess at the 16-player roster: (must be 2 goaltenders and 14 skaters)

G: (2) Price, Holtby
D: (4) Keith, Doughty, Weber, Subban
F: (10) Crosby, Benn, Seguin, Tavares, Toews, Stamkos, Bergeron, Perry, Hall, O'Reilly

It's what I would have anyway.

I would consider naming all three goaltenders in the (ridiculous) early roster, just to save another option for a skater. Nothing is going to happen in the next few months that will change things significantly for the goaltenders. I agree that Price and Holtby make it, and the last spot is likely between Fleury and Luongo. Both are well regarded as teammates, which is good for a third string goaltender. I would pick Luongo though, since I would be more comfortable with him should he actually have to go on the ice.

Your picks are pretty good, I would just add a third goaltender and remove Perry.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
price
holtby

doughty
weber
keith
subban

crosby
toews
seguin
benn
stamkos
tavares
bergeron
j. carter
hall
giroux

That would be my initial 16. Sorry Getzlaf and Perry, you have to play yourselves onto the team at this point. No free passes.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The way TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano have been playing the last few months I have a feeling they will both make this team. Probably as the third pair with the potential to move up if their chemistry proved valuable in a short tourney like this.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
price
holtby

doughty
weber
keith
subban

crosby
toews
seguin
benn
stamkos
tavares
bergeron
j. carter
hall
giroux

That would be my initial 16. Sorry Getzlaf and Perry, you have to play yourselves onto the team at this point. No free passes.

You guys can remove Price...

There is no way Montreal will let him go due to his re-occurring injury...

Montreal will have the final say in this...and i guarantee 100% he will not go

DyerMaker66*

You guys can remove Price...

There is no way Montreal will let him go due to his re-occurring injury...

Montreal will have the final say in this...and i guarantee 100% he will not go

:help: It's an NHL tournament that's going to make them money; they're not going to stop him.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hall-Crosby-Stamkos
Benn-Giroux-Seguin
Bergeron-Toews-Sharp
Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry
Duchene

Keith-Seabrook
Subban-Weber
Giordano-Doughty
Burns

Holtby/Price
Luongo

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I like reading/hearing things from a different point of view, different opinions etc., it's refreshing.

I also like the Big Joe is mentioned, he's not that bad as someone could think based on the fact he's not basically on any roster in this thread. I feel he's underrated now, even though he has more points than Tavares (of course, it's not a "normal" year for Tavares, but still), and is good defensively.

I also like the Doughty-Weber pairing. (maybe I would change it to Subban-Weber).
But I feel like there are some big omissions, I just can't figure them out now :laugh:

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Would love to read it.

Can anyone translate it?

I guess that would be a big job though.

Goal
Price
Holtby
Luongo

Defence
Keith – Seabrook
Doughty – Weber
Subban – Pietrangelo
Burns

Forward
Benn – Bergeron – Seguin
Hall – Crosby – Duchene
Sharp – Toews – Stamkos
Giroux – Thornton – O’Reilly
Carter

Thornton is a bit of a surprise.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Goal
Price
Holtby
Luongo

Defence
Keith – Seabrook
Doughty – Weber
Subban – Pietrangelo
Burns

Forward
Benn – Bergeron – Seguin
Hall – Crosby – Duchene
Sharp – Toews – Stamkos
Carter

It explains Thornton choice!
Simply Canada always took such tournaments veterans
OG98 Gretzky
OG02 Yzerman
WCup04 Lemieux
OG06 Sakic
OG10 Nidermaer and Pronger
OG14 St. Louis and Marleau

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Goal
Price
Holtby
Luongo

Defence
Keith – Seabrook
Doughty – Weber
Subban – Pietrangelo
Burns

Forward
Benn – Bergeron – Seguin
Hall – Crosby – Duchene
Sharp – Toews – Stamkos
Carter

Ya, Jumbo Joe is not going to make it and Duchene or ROR will not be playing the right side.

I'd be surprised if Seabrook makes it. If Coach Q had gotten the gig, then I'd could see it.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Goal
Price
Holtby
Luongo

Defence
Keith – Seabrook
Doughty – Weber
Subban – Pietrangelo
Burns

Forward
Benn – Bergeron – Seguin
Hall – Crosby – Duchene
Sharp – Toews – Stamkos
Carter

Replace Thornton with Tavares and Sharp with say, Couture, Schwartz, Perry or Stone, and its a good group. I'm a big Seabrook fan and think he's underrated, but he doesn't belong on a national team ahead of guys like Vlasic, Brodie, or Giordano.

The line combo's are also a bit strange, but the important thing is to get the 13- or 14-man forward group right, and the lines should take care of themselves with so much talent available. We know the following combinations work:

Benn & Seguin
Giroux & Seguin
Crosby & Bergeron
Crosby & Hall
Toews & Carter

I'd construct my lineup something like this:

Benn - Giroux - Seguin
Hall - Crosby - Bergeron
Duchene - Toews - Carter
O'Reilly - Tavares - Stamkos
Perry, Schwartz
(Couture, Stone)

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Subban
Giordano, Brodie

Price
Holtby
Luongo

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Goal
Price
Holtby
Luongo

Defence
Keith – Seabrook
Doughty – Weber
Subban – Pietrangelo
Burns

Forward
Benn – Bergeron – Seguin
Hall – Crosby – Duchene
Sharp – Toews – Stamkos
Carter

Thanks.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
There is not much that can be changed when you have already players like Stamkos, Hall, O'Reilly, Bergeron, Perry, or Giroux...but I think Sharp deserves to be mentioned there with the guys like Carter. Also it's quite incredible how many times has Spezza been on a very good level throughout his career, yet never getting into the best canadian roster. With that many great players and so deep of a pool we have, it would be hard for him to slot somewhere in a 3rd scoring line with Hall and Stamkos for example, but hey, we can be theoreticall here right?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There is not much that can be changed when you have already players like Stamkos, Hall, O'Reilly, Bergeron, Perry, or Giroux...but I think Sharp deserves to be mentioned there with the guys like Carter. Also it's quite incredible how many times has Spezza been on a very good level throughout his career, yet never getting into the best canadian roster. With that many great players and so deep of a pool we have, it would be hard for him to slot somewhere in a 3rd scoring line with Hall and Stamkos for example, but hey, we can be theoreticall here right?

Sharp was nearly out of his depth at the 2014 Olympics. I don't think that he's improved since then. Spezza isn't close to being a contender for one of the centre positions. He'll go down as one of the best (top ten anyway) centres to not get a chance with Canada at the top level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad