World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Canada (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Sharp was nearly out of his depth at the 2014 Olympics. I don't think that he's improved since then. Spezza isn't close to being a contender for one of the centre positions. He'll go down as one of the best (top ten anyway) centres to not get a chance with Canada at the top level.

but but but... I got into an argument with a Russian sports writer who insisted Spezza was indeed an Olympian, or at least at that level because he deemed it to be so.

but wasn't Spezza on the 3 man taxi squad in Torino? or am I mistaken?

and because it's the gimmicky World Cup edition, and basically I couldn't give a flyin fadoo what we do at this tournament, I hope Hockey Canada does indeed throw a few bones to a few of the B team players who have been loyal over the years. Spezza, Burns just to name a few... I won't be watching anyway. So, no TVs are in danger of being tossed at the wall over Spezza giveaways on the blueline.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
but but but... I got into an argument with a Russian sports writer who insisted Spezza was indeed an Olympian, or at least at that level because he deemed it to be so.

but wasn't Spezza on the 3 man taxi squad in Torino? or am I mistaken?

and because it's the gimmicky World Cup edition, and basically I couldn't give a flyin fadoo what we do at this tournament, I hope Hockey Canada does indeed throw a few bones to a few of the B team players who have been loyal over the years. Spezza, Burns just to name a few... I won't be watching anyway. So, no TVs are in danger of being tossed at the wall over Spezza giveaways on the blueline.

You are correct - him, Staal and Boyle were on the taxi squad and all three (in addition to Crosby) would have been an upgrade over some of the plugs we had playing for us Torino.

As an aside, I've always really liked Spezza as a player, but has never shown the positional or role versatility needed to carve out a spot for himself on our best-on-best teams. Not good enough for a top-six or top-nine center role, not a strong enough defensive player, and not someone who's game translates well to the wing position.

And no to Sharp. I'd rather have Marleau or Nash, to be honest.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As an aside, I've always really liked Spezza as a player, but has never shown the positional or role versatility needed to carve out a spot for himself on our best-on-best teams. Not good enough for a top-six or top-nine center role, not a strong enough defensive player, and not someone who's game translates well to the wing position.

Spezza isn't so different from the other best players to miss out on making team Canada at the top level, and the lack of versatility that you suggest is the main reason. Since 1976 the best to never get a shot for Canada are probably Oates, Francis, Savard, Giroux and Spezza. All are playmaking centres, which Canada always has many of, who don't have games especially well suited to the wing. Spezza is unique though in that I think he alone has been rightly left off every best on best team Canada.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Sharp was nearly out of his depth at the 2014 Olympics. I don't think that he's improved since then. Spezza isn't close to being a contender for one of the centre positions. He'll go down as one of the best (top ten anyway) centres to not get a chance with Canada at the top level.

Yes, that's probably true.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Spezza isn't so different from the other best players to miss out on making team Canada at the top level, and the lack of versatility that you suggest is the main reason. Since 1976 the best to never get a shot for Canada are probably Oates, Francis, Savard, Giroux and Spezza. All are playmaking centres, which Canada always has many of, who don't have games especially well suited to the wing. Spezza is unique though in that I think he alone has been rightly left off every best on best team Canada.

Yes, we've always been stacked at center and excellent players (in some cases, superstars) have been cut from every best-on-best team we've ever assembled. Some of these cuts were highly questionable at the time and in retrospect, particularly in the Keenan years.

I agree with your list, and I'd probably add Neely, who was cut from the 1987 team, injured in 1991, and done by 1996 (though if NHL'ers participated in 1994 he'd probably be a lock depending on how management felt about his injury situation).

Oates and Francis I see as a bit different as they had well-rounded games and could contribute at both ends of the rink...unfortunately they were both average skaters which presumably led, in part, to them being passed over in 1998. Both would have been better options (in any capacity) than Zamuner or Corson. I think Francis actually made the 1996 WC team but couldn't participate due to injury.

I also think Giroux has developed a sufficient defensive and special teams game at this point that he should be in a position to make a best-on-best team irregardless of his "role". He also played wing exclusively in his early days with Philly, so he's adaptable positionally. I still have no idea how he was left off the Sochi team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Why not? Duchene has been phenomenal since moving to RW this season.

I'm a fan, but how phenomenal he has been is a subjective opinion. He's been good, real good...but it's not just a question of where Duchene fits best, there are a lot more players, better players, more established players higher up the pecking order in Team Canada (right-wingers and centers) who will be playing on the right side...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe because Thornton is now playing very well?:)

Thornton was a better player in 2010, and he wasn't very good at that tournament despite the luxury of getting to play with his San Jose linemates. That was always going to be his last best on best appearance.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Thornton was a better player in 2010, and he wasn't very good at that tournament despite the luxury of getting to play with his San Jose linemates. That was always going to be his last best on best appearance.

Cammalleri and Spezza can go to the World Cup?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Cammalleri and Spezza can go to the World Cup?
As crazy as it sounds, even with his very good season, Cammalleri could easily end in 3rd/4th best canadian team....that's how deep now the pool is. Spezza would be in the 2nd best team though.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
As crazy as it sounds, even with his very good season, Cammalleri could easily end in 3rd/4th best canadian team....that's how deep now the pool is. Spezza would be in the 2nd best team though.

That's a fair assessment. Although I currently have him on the B team keeping a spot warm until Schwartz gets back playing to that level. Schwartz is having an injury plagued season... and that's unfortunate. one of my favorite young players.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
After watching Price skate today, I'd be surprised if he were allowed to participate in the World Cup.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Homerish, but i'd love to see a line of Marchand, Bergeron and another good two way forward (ROR?) round out the bottom six.

A line like that could play against just about anybody, especially since O'Riley has experience playing the wing.

meangene

Jul 5, 2014
The inter webs
Stamkos-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-Tavares-MacKinnon
Carter-Toews-Seguin
Nash-Getzlaf-Perry

Giroux, Duchene

Keith-Weber
Doughty-Vlasic
Pietrangelo-Subban
Bouwmeester

Price
Crawford
Fleury

LethalCookie

Mar 23, 2015
Guelph
My team would be:

Tavares- Crosby- Stamkos
Benn- Seguin- Giroux
Hall- Toews- Perry
ROR- Bergeron- Carter
Duchene

Keith- Doughty
Giordano- Weber
Vlasic- Subban
Brodie/ Pietrangelo

Price (if healthy)
Holtby
Fleury/ Lou

Edit: Forgot McDavid isn't available.

Last edited:

moon*

For anyone doing their mock teams and don't see the Flames a ton Brodie should definitely be there ahead of Gio (and should definitely be on every line-up).

Brodie has passed Gio offensively and defensively and is clearly the top defenseman on the club.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
As of now, my team would be:

Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron
Jamie Benn - John Tavares - Tyler Seguin
Taylor Hall - Connor McDavid - Claude Giroux
Ryan O'Reilly - Jonathan Toews - Jeff Carter
Corey Perry
Nathan MacKinnon

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Drew Doughty
TJ Brodie - PK Subban
Mark Giordano
Brent Burns

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Marc-Andre Fleury

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

Corey Perry
Nathan MacKinnon

TJ Brodie - PK Subban
Mark Giordano
Brent Burns

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Marc-Andre Fleury

Awesome team but McDavid and MacKinnon are not available for team Canada at WC. They have to play for NA team.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

Corey Perry
Nathan MacKinnon

TJ Brodie - PK Subban
Mark Giordano
Brent Burns

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Marc-Andre Fleury
That's the best team right there. I do think McDavid would make the best team right now, let alone in 8 months.

Ah. That offence would be spectacular. Can you imagine that literally EVERYTIME we would be having Crosby OR Benn-Seguin OR McDavid OR Toews on the ice? Huh.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
That's the best team right there. I do think McDavid would make the best team right now, let alone in 8 months.

Ah. That offence would be spectacular. Can you imagine that literally EVERYTIME we would be having Crosby OR Benn-Seguin OR McDavid OR Toews on the ice? Huh.

It really is a stacked team. best offense, best defense and best goaltending due (provided Price recovers + a few other players who are having down years recover)

The only team that comes close in a 1 game scenario would be Sweden, and possibly the U.S.

*Edit. oh wait! This is the ridiculous World Cup thread. too bad I won't be watching. :) get rid of the gimmicks, please.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
it really is a stacked team. Best offense, best defense and best goaltending due (provided price recovers + a few other players who are having down years recover)

the only team that comes close in a 1 game scenario would be sweden, and possibly the u.s.

*edit. Oh wait! This is the ridiculous world cup thread. Too bad i won't be watching. :) get rid of the gimmicks, please.
Я думаю Россия способна победить Канаду даже в 3-х матчевом противостоянии)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad