2016 World Championships featuring: Leafs Players and Soon to be Drafted Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The only vote for best d-man that means anything was cast by the Team Canada coaching staff when they tapped players on the back to send them over the boards. Time on ice, particularly at key points, is the real ballot.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I'd argue - the exact same reason why the other ones didn't. McDavid's still a kid. (I heard dreger saying that he was a little too reverent with the players he was with, and i'm like for reals? some of these people are either his peer group - or his team mates). 19 years old, first men world's tournament, he did really well, that should be enough.

That's also a good point. :)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I read somewhere else on these boards that he just signed another contract with St. Petersburg, so I guess not. If he were, I think there'd be a buzz about him for sure.

That's too bad the Guy is 6'6" and would fill the net and just 27 would be a terrific Goalie but didn't seem to be able to put it together when he was Islander property.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
That's too bad the Guy is 6'6" and would fill the net and just 27 would be a terrific Goalie but didn't seem to be able to put it together when he was Islander property.

I would certainly be excited to sign him- but I'm no scout, especially not a goalie scout.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him give the NHL a try in year or two, though.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Don't know if this was mentioned but Matthews finished at a ~55% rate on faceoffs in the tournament. Won 15 of 16 FOs vs Russia

Previously I was under the impression that maybe that's the "weaker" aspect of his game

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I would certainly be excited to sign him- but I'm no scout, especially not a goalie scout.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him give the NHL a try in year or two, though.

I'm not a good at evaluating Goalies either but this tournament was an eye opener and he fits the profile big frame that covers the net and pretty quick reflexes.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I'm not a good at evaluating Goalies either but this tournament was an eye opener and he fits the profile big frame that covers the net and pretty quick reflexes.

Let's be honest. Nobody is any good at evaluating goalies.

You can tell when they're really bad but you can rarely tell if they're going to be average or great.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

You can tell when they're really bad but you can rarely tell if they're going to be average or great.

It' a hard position to be sure but there are certainly people very good at separating good goalies from those with a mediocre ceiling. Ask Mitch Korn.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ok, now that its over and we won. IIHF refereeing is evil crooked, incompetent and infuriatingly sickening after you get by the bad part of these jokes in stripes.

I just want to reiterate to the younger fans that Canada's imposing physical presence of the past was strategically attacked by the IIHF because it was so dominating that we were intimidating their Europen teams.

So just a **** you shout out to the IIHF.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He was the goalie of the year last year in the KHL and has been elite in the playoffs.
He just wants to play and not be a back up and signed a new contract just before this tourney.

He has gotten offers from the NHL during the past few years but has declined, SKA is an elite, rich European team.

Blair

Oct 15, 2006
Edmonton, AB

I remember when Carey Price was drafted 5th overall. A lot of people second guessed the pick, speculated that the Canadiens could've traded down to get him, etc. It worked out of course and Price turned into a phenomenal goaltender, but the prevalent thinking was and still is that you almost never take a goalie with a top 5 pick. I always wondered if Montreal was lucky, smart, or a mix of both by doing that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I remember when Carey Price was drafted 5th overall. A lot of people second guessed the pick, speculated that the Canadiens could've traded down to get him, etc. It worked out of course and Price turned into a phenomenal goaltender, but the prevalent thinking was and still is that you almost never take a goalie with a top 5 pick. I always wondered if Montreal was lucky, smart, or a mix of both by doing that.

Well, just consider that around the time Price was drafted 5th, Al Montoya was drafted 6th the year before,and Kari Lehtonen 2nd overall a couple of years before that, so I think at the time it was more prevalent for teams to try to nab those elite franchise goaltending prospects as early as any other position.

The thing I always wondered about the science of goaltending scouting is how a guy like Kari Lehtonen is detected on the radar early at 18 and goes 2nd overall, while a guy like Pekka Rinne goes in the 8th round 4 years after his draft eligibility comes up...

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Don't know if this was mentioned but Matthews finished at a ~55% rate on faceoffs in the tournament. Won 15 of 16 FOs vs Russia

Previously I was under the impression that maybe that's the "weaker" aspect of his game

Both Matthews and Laine didnt have their best games today but this is a perfect example of how a center can just impact the game much easier vs a winger. Even though he had a mediocre game he still won his team tons of possession just by being such a beast in the faceoff circle.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

nothing is weak ,hes a real good hockey player ,if hes not a generational player he was rung lower .
so maybe toews or ,or Jamie benn or tyler seguin ,or Dylan larkin and the list goes on ,

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Ok, now that its over and we won. IIHF refereeing is evil crooked, incompetent and infuriatingly sickening after you get by the bad part of these jokes in stripes.

I just want to reiterate to the younger fans that Canada's imposing physical presence of the past was strategically attacked by the IIHF because it was so dominating that we were intimidating their Europen teams.

So just a **** you shout out to the IIHF.

Canada seems to be having more success internationally of late using skill than they used to sending goons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad