I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I think it's gonna be:
Boedker - Hertl - Donskoi
Marleau - Tierney - Ward
LaBanc - Karlsson - Nieto
Goodrow - Haley - Goldobin

This close to season opener Boedker and Donskoi should be working on chemistry, and Hertl is a fine plug for Couture. Tierney needs some experience with Marleau and Ward. Nieto and Labanc showed some chemistry before, give em a speedy center and let's see em work. And then maybe Haley and Goodrow can grind some **** while Goldobin snipes.

That leaves 89-48-27 as the 1st line. I think 57 is supposed to be 68 tonight. And Labanc will be with Tierney and Goldobin.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Omission of Schlemko is interesting as well. Maybe DeMelo is winning that #6 spot?

Gonna guess:
Martin - Braun
Dillion - DeMelo
Mueller - Heed

Although, I think something like this would be more fun to try:

Dillion - Braun
Martin - Heed
Mueller - DeMelo

The idea being, how does Dillion do when supported by a competent partner who lets him take risks? Coming from Dallas he was showing far more offensive talent, maybe not having to anchor the bottom pair would help him play that style a bit more? Additionally, how does Heed do when we goce him the same reign as Burns? He is a coverted forward, right? Giving him a stable, veteran partner may allow him to play a much more aggressive style. The simple Dillion - Heed could accomplish that as well, but if Burns has been an example, Dillion + Aggressive-D converts to goals against pretty quick.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Schlemko is a lock. They probably just want to get as good a look at DeMelo as possible, especially since he's been so insanely good this preseason.

Is DeMelo waiver eligible? I feel like he is but I don't know for sure.

As for Dillon, he plays best when he isn't the babysitter of the pairing. That's why a defensive puckmover like DeMelo is ideal.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Omission of Schlemko is interesting as well. Maybe DeMelo is winning that #6 spot?

Omission of Schlemko where, in this particular preseason game? I'm not following.

Actually, what I think is interesting about the roster for this game is that just about everyone on the bubble seems to be dressed for it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Schlemko is a lock. They probably just want to get as good a look at DeMelo as possible, especially since he's been so insanely good this preseason.

As for Dillon, he plays best when he isn't the babysitter of the pairing. That's why a defensive puckmover like DeMelo is ideal.

Yeah no idea about waivers and demelo. But those are my odds of him clearing if he does need to.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Demelo does require waivers to be sent down.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Demelo does require waivers to be sent down.

Thanks!

Yeah no idea about waivers and demelo. But those are my odds of him clearing if he does need to.

I feel confident DeMelo would be claimed. He's a young, cheap NHL-ready RHD. Those are the types of players who most get claimed. So many teams could use him, but off the top of my head, Toronto, Edmonton, Nashville, Vancouver, and Calgary would definitely put in claims.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Thanks!

I feel confident DeMelo would be claimed. He's a young, cheap NHL-ready RHD. Those are the types of players who most get claimed. So many teams could use him, but off the top of my head, Toronto, Edmonton, Nashville, Vancouver, and Calgary would definitely put in claims.

Remember when we said Burke was an idiot about demelo?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If I understand the rules right, DeMelo is waiver eligible.

The rules are that your waiver exemption period is based on age when you sign your first contract and runs for a set # of seasons or # of NHL games played, whichever comes first. DeMelo has a May 1, 1993 DOB and signed his first contract in April of 2012 (he would've still been 18 at this point). I'm assuming signing the contract in April when the season was still happening was meant to intentionally burn a year of of accrued time for waivers and FA rights and all that.

So based on that he would've been waiver eligible for 5 seasons or 160 NHL games. He hasn't reached the latter threshold yet, but:

1) 2011-12 (since he signed the contract within this season)
2) 2012-13
3) 2013-14
4) 2014-15
5) 2015-16

so no more waiver exemption.

I think.

Not that I think it matters since in spite of Schlemko being a lock, DeMelo seems a lock for the #7 D job too.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

The rules are that your waiver exemption period is based on age when you sign your first contract and runs for a set # of seasons or # of NHL games played, whichever comes first. DeMelo has a May 1, 1993 DOB and signed his first contract in April of 2012 (he would've still been 18 at this point). I'm assuming signing the contract in April when the season was still happening was meant to intentionally burn a year of of accrued time for waivers and FA rights and all that.

So based on that he would've been waiver eligible for 5 seasons or 160 NHL games. He hasn't reached the latter threshold yet, but:

2) 2012-13
3) 2013-14
4) 2014-15
5) 2015-16

I think.

Not that I think it matters since in spite of Schlemko being a lock, DeMelo seems a lock for the #7 D job too.

I'm guessing the bottom pair is basically set up for a pretty regular rotation.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

2) 2012-13
3) 2013-14
4) 2014-15
5) 2015-16

I think.

They still could of signed him for the 2012-13 season but i am guessing that is not the case.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I'm guessing the bottom pair is basically set up for a pretty regular rotation.

It seems like we are going to be rotating a lot tbh. DeBoer was talking about switching in fast forwards, etc and you are right, it's looking like our bottom pair is gonna be the same.

That totally ****s with my desire for everything to fit into neat little boxes though.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
And yet here we are lol. Most were trusting 210s judgement over burkes iirc.

For good reason, since 210 was usually good with knowing who was and wasn't a future NHLer. DeMelo just happened to be a good surprise, although it did take him a while to win me over.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
For good reason, since 210 was usually good with knowing who was and wasn't a future NHLer. DeMelo just happened to be a good surprise, although it did take him a while to win me over.

Even so, he was pretty bad to meh in the beginning on the NHL roster, I definitely didn't think it would click for him but it was def a pleasant suprise when it did.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Didn't help that when he got called up earlier in the year he was also hot garbage. And then went back and didn't really do anything in the ahl again either. But something clicked from the time ge got called up to his 1st game back on nhl ice.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Something doesn't just "click" which is my point. Burke seen a lot more of him is my point. He called him the next vlasic and people lost their minds. Until he was paired with Braun against top comp for a stretch lol.

Not to say that this org has a great track record with d prospects though. Just thought it funny that somehow demelo went from AHL fodder to top 4 RHD in one season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Everyone on Leb's roster is waiver eligible except for Mueller. Pretty sure it's a guarantee someone is going on waivers and it's probably Heed. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone picked him up just to take a shot with him since his skills are desirable in general.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They still could of signed him for the 2012-13 season but i am guessing that is not the case.

He was signed in April while the season would've still been ongoing (as the post-season, but whatever). I don't know for this particular case, but I do recall several past instances where the Sharks have purposely signed a player to a contract that includes the waning days of an ending season just so that season counts on the player's service clock as a sort of non-monetary tradeoff (like giving a guy an NTC or a higher minor league salary on a 2-way deal). I want to say they did it with an undrafted FA or older prospect so that he would qualify for UFA status earlier in exchange for signing a cheaper deal for a couple of years.

But of course I could be entirely wrong about all this speculation. Thing is that if I am, I question whether it means that DeMelo would qualify for waiver exemption for this season.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Didn't help that when he got called up earlier in the year he was also hot garbage. And then went back and didn't really do anything in the ahl again either. But something clicked from the time ge got called up to his 1st game back on nhl ice.

Exactly.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The Sharks look for specific things. They also play the same system regardless of talent in order for AHL players to be able to fit right into the Sharks system.

This leads to not so good teams because some players are just not going to be good with the system they are being told to execute night in and night out. It also leads to some players being better than they look when they do get to the Sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad