Proposal: 2016 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Actually that's a pretty good comparable. That is if Paul becomes a FO god.

It's not that Gaustad is a bad player but that's what you hope to get out of the bottom half of your prospect pool.

Really speaks about the depth of the current system.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ottawa received Chiasson, Guptil, Paul & a second rounder. Oh, and 7 million in cap space. This is the key point everyone forgets. Perhaps a better return was possible (a single high quality RFA forward would have been nice), but that really depends on what teams were on his list. Who knows, maybe we missed out on Forsberg from Nashville.

The real issue with the trade is that Ottawa has never used the cap space gained to improve the team. If we had signed a guy like Paul Stastny or TJ Oshie there would be a lot less complaints. Melnyk talks a lot of BS about planning the cap appropriately. In three years we will be a cap team just by signing our own guys (true, do the math yourself and calculate the likely extension costs of Z, Stone, Turris, Hoffman, Pageau, Ceci and Karlsson) - however, nothing would have precluded Ottawa from signing a guy like Demers or Okposo this past summer and making a trade later to get under the cap.

It is what it is. Ottawa is a boring ass budget team and until that changes we will not win ****. They can play up prospects like lazar and old favourite like Kelly if they want but it's nothing more than an appeasement exercise. Nothing I have seen our ownership do suggests he has any commitment to winning.

This is what scares me. This team...even if the kids get better, and White, Brown and Chabot all pan out, is not a championship caliber roster.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Did Pittsburgh feel like a Cup team before they fired their coach?

Things can change in a hurry. It's a matter of getting hot at the right time, not the roster on paper.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
I don't know why we say that we are not cup team. Our young players are getting more experienced and if our team can stay healthy we should be very competitive.

If I had any doubt about our roster it would at the first line center position and the 6th and 7th Dmen. I'm of the opinion that Turris would be a great 2nd line center, Pageau 3rd and Smith 4th. Trading Zibanejad and second round pick to get a first line center would be the way to go.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Did Pittsburgh feel like a Cup team before they fired their coach?

Things can change in a hurry. It's a matter of getting hot at the right time, not the roster on paper.

It not only was the coaching change but Rutherford did a fine job with the supporting cast.

Kessel, Bonino, Hagelin, Daley, Cullen

These players can flat out skate... He introduced so much speed into that lineup

The coaching change we have is only one step... Still a whole lot more needs to be done... And I'm hoping Boucher can coach defense... Given the fact the Bolts bled goals under his tenure... Granted he did not have much to work with but its not like our defense is a whole lot better.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is what scares me. This team...even if the kids get better, and White, Brown and Chabot all pan out, is not a championship caliber roster.

That depends on how you define pan out. I mean, if Chabot ends up being a Letang clone, White a Bergeron or Toews clone, and Brown a Getzlaf, that's getting closer to dynasty than cup caliber.

But if Chabot turns into a poor mans Yandle, White into Frans Nielsen and Brown into Colborne or maybe Hanzal, then ya, still not a cup team.

The line between cup contender and pretender is pretty slim imo. One high end draft pick surpassing expectations, or a steal later in the draft can really flip everything around.

Basically, it's too early to tell what this team will become.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That depends on how you define pan out. I mean, if Chabot ends up being a Letang clone, White a Bergeron or Toews clone, and Brown a Getzlaf, that's getting closer to dynasty than cup caliber.

But if Chabot turns into a poor mans Yandle, White into Frans Nielsen and Brown into Colborne or maybe Hanzal, then ya, still not a cup team.

The line between cup contender and pretender is pretty slim imo. One high end draft pick surpassing expectations, or a steal later in the draft can really flip everything around.

Basically, it's too early to tell what this team will become.

Pretty much referring to realistic development curve. For this exact roster to be championship caliber, everyone on the team would have to hit their ceilings. Now, I'd love for that to happen....but the odds are definitely against it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty much referring to realistic development curve. For this exact roster to be championship caliber, everyone on the team would have to hit their ceilings. Now, I'd love for that to happen....but the odds are definitely against it.

Ok, but based on that, any team not already a cup caliber team needs to tank it's way to the bottom so they can get a prospect whose realistic development curve makes them a contender.

The fact is lots of cup teams are that because somebody exceeded expectations.

Boston had Bergeron, Thomas,
Detroit had Zetterberg, and Dastyuk
LA had Kopitar and Quick
Even Chi had Keith

Key pieces that greatly exceeded the "realistic development curve" for a guy drafted in their position. You either need that to happen or you need to tank (or both). No point in worrying that it doesn't look like we're there now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ok, but based on that, any team not already a cup caliber team needs to tank it's way to the bottom so they can get a prospect whose realistic development curve makes them a contender.

The fact is lots of cup teams are that because somebody exceeded expectations.

Boston had Bergeron, Thomas,
Detroit had Zetterberg, and Dastyuk
LA had Kopitar and Quick
Even Chi had Keith

Key pieces that greatly exceeded the "realistic development curve" for a guy drafted in their position. You either need that to happen or you need to tank (or both). No point in worrying that it doesn't look like we're there now.

Ya know, there's mighty big gap between the guys all reaching their ceilings, and tanking for half a decade.....

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Feels weird to say this as I feel our C depth is one of the best in the NHL, but the biggest gap in our roster between bubble team and cup contender is #1 C. I have no idea how you solve that issue quickly, but I do love that we keep drafting C's with #1 potential. White and Brown may not be the #1 C we need, but the potential is there.

Love Turris and Zibby, but neither are that elite #1 C that really drive team success. Turris is a good #1 C. Zibby a good #2 C (and rising). The roster still lacks that Kopitar/Bergeron/Toews/Crosby/etc.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Grain of Salt, but I heard that someone is being brought in to sign a contract today.

No idea who. Hoffman was in town for a wedding I think, that would be a nice surprise.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Grain of Salt, but I heard that someone is being brought in to sign a contract today.

No idea who. Hoffman was in town for a wedding I think, that would be a nice surprise.

Would it be Hoffman or Ceci you think? Or any chance at an outside guy like Hudler/Seidenberg?

yoplait

May 4, 2011

Pleasepleaseplease be Hoff.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013

Maybe they're bringing Eric O'Dell back. :laugh:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Changing gears ,i really dont see anybody on the Oil i would trade Ceci for .Macdaivid would be the only real exception ,Eberle,RNH,YAk Drai,really dont do much for us :nod:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Changing gears ,i really dont see anybody on the Oil i would trade Ceci for .Macdaivid would be the only real exception ,Eberle,RNH,YAk Drai,really dont do much for us :nod:

What?

I'd drive Ceci to the airport if we could get Draisaitl.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Benji usually nails it on his leaks.

Hopefully Hoffman. But I'm assuming it's a press conference to announce the return of the greatest Bingo Sen of all time.....THE INFAMOUS Denis Hamel #50in06

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Hopefully Hoffman. But I'm assuming it's a press conference to announce the return of the greatest Bingo Sen of all time.....THE INFAMOUS Denis Hamel #50in06
We are a lock to be contenders in the AHL if that happens :handclap:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I'm pretty sure it will be Ceci. Not based on any facts, just a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad