Proposal: 2016 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i'm still waiting to see how Paul and Gagne turn out. The spezza trade could end up looking good.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
All we have left from the trade is Paul and the 2nd rounder (who did we end picking with it?).

It was a rough return since Chiasson ended up being replacement level and Guptill a total bust. However Paul is looking like he could be a stud, for a first year pro he was solid and I have hopes he could turn into a solid 2nd line player if everything goes well.

**** happens. Not every prospect/young player becomes a top ****ing liner/top pairing defenseman/#1 goaltender.

We still have Paul and Gagne, so I will reserve judgement until we see what they become.

Look at Arizona, using hindsight how ****ing stupid were they to trade us a borderline #1 centre (Turris) for David Rundblad and a 2nd (which turned in to who?).

Ladislav Smid has one year left at a 3.5 cap hit and 4 million in actual salary. Would you take him at 50% retained salary?

You complain about the Sens signing only Chris Kelly and Tom Pyatt yet you suggest trading for Ladislav ****ing Smid? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

This place just keeps getting better.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
**** happens. Not every prospect/young player becomes a top ****ing liner/top pairing defenseman/#1 goaltender.

We still have Paul and Gagne, so I will reserve judgement until we see what they become.

Look at Arizona, using hindsight how ****ing stupid were they to trade us a borderline #1 centre (Turris) for David Rundblad and a 2nd (which turned in to who?).

You complain about the Sens signing only Chris Kelly and Tom Pyatt yet you suggest trading for Ladislav ****ing Smid? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

This place just keeps getting better.

Where did I complain? I posed the Smid question because I know we need a third pairing guy, but to be honest, I haven't followed him closely in Calgary. I know he was good at one point, I was just wondering if he had anything left.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Agreed

I'm not too sour over the whole thing but it certainly stings quite a bit

i'm still waiting to see how Paul and Gagne turn out. The spezza trade could end up looking good.

Oh it was Gagne? Nice, he's also looking like he has a high ceiling for a second round pick.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ladislav Smid has one year left at a 3.5 cap hit and 4 million in actual salary. Would you take him at 50% retained salary?

I'd rather not.

I don't know how much more effective he would really be over a guy like Boro. Seems like a lateral move.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trying to find an improvement over Boro, I just don't think Smid is really the guy I'd be targeting in that role.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'd rather not.

I don't know how much more effective he would really be over a guy like Boro. Seems like a lateral move.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trying to find an improvement over Boro, I just don't think Smid is really the guy I'd be targeting in that role.

Yeah, we'd probably be better off signing someone for less than 2 million and not have to give up anything.

I just didn't know if Smid had anything left in the tank.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
I know it's kind of pointless to think this way now, but I can't help but wonder who the Sens would have drafted with the pick we traded for Ryan. One of Larkin or Fabbri would look damn good on our team right about now.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014

They got Dvorak + Merkely which is better than Paul + Gagne.

If we drafted someone like Sprong ahead of Gagne some people wouldn't be complaining.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
Ottawa received Chiasson, Guptil, Paul & a second rounder. Oh, and 7 million in cap space. This is the key point everyone forgets. Perhaps a better return was possible (a single high quality RFA forward would have been nice), but that really depends on what teams were on his list. Who knows, maybe we missed out on Forsberg from Nashville.

The real issue with the trade is that Ottawa has never used the cap space gained to improve the team. If we had signed a guy like Paul Stastny or TJ Oshie there would be a lot less complaints. Melnyk talks a lot of BS about planning the cap appropriately. In three years we will be a cap team just by signing our own guys (true, do the math yourself and calculate the likely extension costs of Z, Stone, Turris, Hoffman, Pageau, Ceci and Karlsson) - however, nothing would have precluded Ottawa from signing a guy like Demers or Okposo this past summer and making a trade later to get under the cap.

It is what it is. Ottawa is a boring ass budget team and until that changes we will not win ****. They can play up prospects like lazar and old favourite like Kelly if they want but it's nothing more than an appeasement exercise. Nothing I have seen our ownership do suggests he has any commitment to winning.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They got Dvorak + Merkely which is better than Paul + Gagne.

If we drafted someone like Sprong ahead of Gagne some people wouldn't be complaining.

Perhaps we should wait and see what becomes of Gagne and Sprong before claiming the difference between them is enough to placate the masses had we picked the other one. So far, Sprong hasn't really come close to doing enough to justify that imo.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Perhaps we should wait and see what becomes of Gagne and Sprong before claiming the difference between them is enough to placate the masses had we picked the other one. So far, Sprong hasn't really come close to doing enough to justify that imo.
If we picked Sprong, at least we would've got a prospect with high potential. But, I guess you're fine with with trading Spezza for two 3rd/4th liners.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If we picked Sprong, at least we would've got a prospect with high potential. But, I guess you're fine with with trading Spezza for two 3rd/4th liners.

Both Paul and Gagne could(ok, you can add italics there) end up 2nd liners. Chiasson and Guptill were the 3rd/4th liners

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Paul and Gagné definitely have high potential. Gagné is a long shot no doubt but he fills out and gets real strong he could be spécial.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't understand how the Spezza fiasco gets brought up so often.

When somebody complains about that trade they always fail to explain what else we could have done.

It's very very obvious: you cna't force teams to make trades. If no one was offering anything for Spezza then BM can't make a trade. Why is that hard to understand?

It was either: a) take the market offering and trade Spezza or b) lose him in free agency (because he became the whipping boy for no god damn reason by the fan base and media). Option A clearly makes more sense and that's what happens.

It makes me head hurt reading the arguments because it makes zero sense. It wasn't a "good move" (in the sense that we got back the right value for Spezza), but it was the right move because it's better to at least get some prospects that may turn into something. One of those prospects happens to be a top 3 prospect in our system.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
it's better to at least get some prospects that may turn into something. One of those prospects happens to be a top 3 prospect in our system.
Who's Nick Paul better than?

Brown
White
Chabot
Perron
Dahlén
Paul

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
IMO the top 5 is:

Chabot
Brown
Paul
White
Perron

Paul looked solid last year in the NHL for a 20 year old.

Our third best prospect
AHL: 45GP 6G 11Pts
NHL: 24GP 2G 5Pts

Third best prospect is a 4th line center

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Paul Gaustad had a 53 point rookie season in the AHL.. Just saying

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Our third best prospect

Oh that's all he's ever going to be?

What about Paul's game makes him just a 4th line centre? Or are you going to do that thing you always do and just post statistics. I always suspected you didn't watch the games, but hey just throw stats on the wall and hope they stick. A lot more to assessing prospects than stats.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Our third best prospect

I don't seem him as our 3rd best prospect [5th sounds about right], but at least get his stats right [he had 11 assists and 17 points in the AHL], and don't pigeonhole the kid- he's 20 years old with one season of pro hockey under his belt.

I suppose you wrote off Hoffman after his 7 goal, 25 point rookie AHL season in 78 games, right? Pageau had 29 points in 69 games in his rookie year.
Ryan Kesler's first pro season: AHL- 3 goals, 11 points in 33 games
NHL- 2 goals, 5 points in 28 games
Not saying he's the next Ryan Kesler, but his upside is higher than you make it seem.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Both Paul and Gagne could(ok, you can add italics there) end up 2nd liners. Chiasson and Guptill were the 3rd/4th liners

Slim chance paul and gagne end up bonafode second liners. If they do though I consider that trade a win

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ottawa received Chiasson, Guptil, Paul & a second rounder. Oh, and 7 million in cap space. This is the key point everyone forgets. Perhaps a better return was possible (a single high quality RFA forward would have been nice), but that really depends on what teams were on his list. Who knows, maybe we missed out on Forsberg from Nashville.

The real issue with the trade is that Ottawa has never used the cap space gained to improve the team. If we had signed a guy like Paul Stastny or TJ Oshie there would be a lot less complaints. Melnyk talks a lot of BS about planning the cap appropriately. In three years we will be a cap team just by signing our own guys (true, do the math yourself and calculate the likely extension costs of Z, Stone, Turris, Hoffman, Pageau, Ceci and Karlsson) - however, nothing would have precluded Ottawa from signing a guy like Demers or Okposo this past summer and making a trade later to get under the cap.

It is what it is. Ottawa is a boring ass budget team and until that changes we will not win ****. They can play up prospects like lazar and old favourite like Kelly if they want but it's nothing more than an appeasement exercise. Nothing I have seen our ownership do suggests he has any commitment to winning.

Then we used that seven million to sign Ryan. Square one.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Oh that's all he's ever going to be?

What about Paul's game makes him just a 4th line centre? Or are you going to do that thing you always do and just post statistics. I always suspected you didn't watch the games, but hey just throw stats on the wall and hope they stick. A lot more to assessing prospects than stats.

Nothing is saying he is better than Colin white. Where did you get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad