WC: 2016 Team Russia

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't like Znarok at all. Too many talentless pluggers, too many skilled young players left off the roster.

The biggest problem of course is not currently fixable. Poor blueline that cannot move the puck effectively. Hopefully in five years this changes.

Ovechkin will Ovechkin. He is not a big ice player. He is neither bad nor great on it.

I hope you don't mean Yakupov.

On the game itself, there was some brutal loss of concentration by our guys in the second period, it looked like they forgot they are not playing Vs. Denmark, of course, questions should be asked to coach.

And yes, special teams is the main failure this year, even worse than D.

I still hope we get the bronze though.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
This was a pitiful display. Our hockey has degraded, don't know what to say. Both Mutko and Znarok have to leave Russian sports.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
After the first 10 minutes of the first period I was getting worried that the hardcore checking style that we played would be a huge disadvantage in the end, players must have gotten tired as hell and it kinda showed during the third period where they kind of didn´t have any energy left and just "did their thing" and tried to avoid mistakes before handing the puck over to the next guy.
The plan must have been to get 2-3 goals in the first period, because it isn´t possible to play that type of energy consuming game for 3 periods.
Anyone else noticed or reacted to the way we played in the start?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
A bit sad, but not unexpected for our team to have crumbled as soon as PShD were neutralized.
Datsyuk in that state is a good 4th liner for the national team.
Ovechkin isn't a player we can count on pulling the team out of any trouble, especially on the big ice. Times change.
Kuznetsov was horrendous. Such a disappoiting spring from him.
Mozyakin looked like his usual WC self.
None of these guys were the leaders they were brought in to be.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
The problem is our defense system and poor coaching by Znarok. Our defense just can't handle any power forwards who can really control the puck. We need quality defensemen! How many times does our team have to lose matches like this to finally understand: we need a solid defensive core!

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
After the first 10 minutes of the first period I was getting worried that the hardcore checking style that we played would be a huge disadvantage in the end, players must have gotten tired as hell and it kinda showed during the third period where they kind of didn´t have any energy left and just "did their thing" and tried to avoid mistakes before handing the puck over to the next guy.
The plan must have been to get 2-3 goals in the first period, because it isn´t possible to play that type of energy consuming game for 3 periods.
Anyone else noticed or reacted to the way we played in the start?

Noticed, but I believe that was the tactics as Finns were known to have a bit of a slow start. Anyway, they didn't look too tired to me especially in the second period when everything was decided.

A bit sad, but not unexpected for our team to have crumbled as soon as PShD were neutralized.
Datsyuk in that state is a good 4th liner for the national team.
Ovechkin isn't a player we can count on pulling the team out of any trouble, especially on the big ice. Times change.
Kuznetsov was horrendous. Such a disappoiting spring from him.
Mozyakin looked like his usual WC self.
None of these guys were the leaders they were brought in to be.

Mostly agree, maybe only Datsyuk in that state is not a 4-th liner, but just a good role player.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
The problem is our defense system and poor coaching by Znarok. Our defense just can't handle any power forwards who can really control the puck. We need quality defensemen! How many times does our team have to lose matches like this to finally understand: we need a solid defensive core!
We'll really work hard this offseason and try to sign all the UFAs to our national team.
Also, 1 line isn't an offensive core too.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
This generation of Russian hockey players reminds me of England's so called golden generation in football.

What's the mood in Russia?

Who's getting the blame?

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
We'll really work hard this offseason and try to sign all the UFAs to our national team.
Also, 1 line isn't an offensive core too.

Well, I don't know how hard they'll work. To tell you the truth, I don't trust Mutko or Znarok, they don't seem like actual professionals. That's why our team gets beaten.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
This generation of Russian hockey players reminds me of England's so called golden generation in football.

Who's getting the blame?

The mood in Russia is crap. This is a shame to our hockey. What can I say? I'm not from Russia myself but I am a fan of the team. Well, it's the classic defense letting us down. Pathetic how throughout all these years, the Russian NT has always had this weakness, and they just can't fix the problem. Someone needs to make changes to the Russian hockey system to increase the prestige of defensive players. Telling talented players to go play offense is not a solution.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Who's getting the blame?

There is not too much sense in "Who's getting the blame?" question, "What to do now?" and "How to fix that?" are much more interesting questions.

Coach, of course, should take the blame.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
There is not too much sense in "Who's getting the blame?" question, "What to do now?" and "How to fix that?" are much more interesting questions.

Coach, of course, should take the blame.

Yeah, but do you think Znarok's gonna leave? I think Mutko and Znarok are corrupt 'brothaz', they might continue their parasitic life in Russian sports.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yeah, but do you think Znarok's gonna leave? I think Mutko and Znarok are corrupt 'brothaz', they might continue their parasitic life in Russian sports.

I don't think Znarok will leave just because World Cup is just couple of months away. And again, if we fail there and he leaves then we need someone to replace him and currently I see only Bragin as a candidate and I'm not too positive about it.

And the worse part, I really don't see anything done critically wrong by Znarok apart the stuff that I've mentioned, I mean, do we actually have a room (resources) for improvements? For example, how do we fix the PK with our current players?

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I don't think Znarok will leave just because World Cup is just couple of months away. And again, if we fail there and he leaves then we need someone to replace him and currently I see only Bragin as a candidate and I'm not too positive about it.

And the worse part, I really don't see anything done critically wrong by Znarok apart the stuff that I've mentioned, I mean, do we actually have a room (resources) for improvements? For example, how do we fix the PK with our current players?

The PP was abysmal too. Passing too much, instead of playing simple, like the Finn goal today.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The PP was abysmal too. Passing too much, instead of playing simple, like the Finn goal today.

Their PK just wouldn't allow such simple goals as they can play some D. :D

But yeah, of course, too much passing by Shipachyov line. And again, how that could be improved with the resources we had? I have no answer currently. Putting 4-th forward there instead of one D? Possibly, but was there anyone who would be a good fit? It sounds strange, but this time it looks like we ran short even out of forward resources.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
what about tretyak, that chinusha should have been fired a long time ago

I've been waiting for this post. :D Yeah, Tratyak definitely is to blame for that awful second period. And for the special teams, he should have teached them. And for the lack of young goalies, he was the goalie coach some time ago after all. :sarcasm:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I've been waiting for this post. :D Yeah, Tratyak definitely is to blame for that awful second period. And for the special teams, he should have teached them. And for the lack of young goalies, he was the goalie coach some time ago after all. :sarcasm:
i see, so we'd fire everyone but him, got it.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007

I think sometimes are coaching stuff too conservative.No chance for young players like USA,Canada,Finland can. All the power play on Ovechkin to shoot when he was well defended. But who have balls to remove players like Mozjakin from line up when he was absolutely terrible on many games. All the criticism on Lyubimov,Telegin and they were may be best players today with Datsyuk who was just alone in the line with nervous Sannikov and terrible Mozyakin.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I think sometimes are coaching stuff too conservative.No chance for young players like USA,Canada,Finland can. All the power play on Ovechkin to shoot when he was well defended. But who have balls to remove players like Mozjakin from line up when he was absolutely terrible on many games. All the criticism on Lyubimov,Telegin and they were may be best players today with Datsyuk who was just alone in the line with nervous Sannikov and terrible Mozyakin.

Mike Keenan incoming.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
If you want to fire someone it would be nice to define what he has done wrong here, not just "by default".
well, when u have sannikov in the roster, something is fundamentally wrong with your system which can't produce players for the live of it. tretyak'd have been fired like 8 years ago.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

The issue is that if we are removing Mozyakin we have to replace him with Plotnikov or Burmistrov and they're terrible too, but Mozyakin at least sometimes scores.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
well, when u have sannikov in the roster, something is fundamentally wrong with your system which can't produce players for the live of it. tretyak'd have been fired like 8 years ago.

Yes, there is something wrong - the system is too young, MHL was established something like in 2009 iirc., not to mention that "FOK"s ice rinks take time to be constructed.

And yes, if Tretyak would've been fired 8 years ago, we probably wouldn't become competitive at all, as Steblin's dark age would continue.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Yes, there is something wrong - the system is too young, MHL was established something like in 2009 iirc., not to mention that "FOK"s ice rinks take time to be constructed.

And yes, if Tretyak would've been fired 8 years ago, we probably wouldn't become competitive at all, as Steblin's dark age would continue.
yeah, there'll be abundance of sannikovs in the near future. all due to tretyak's hard work, hail to tretyak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad