WC: 2016 Team Russia

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Huge respect for the Russian players who always accept an invitation for the national team. Such a difference from all Swedish players who are "injured" or have to trim the claws on their dog instead.

I was just going to post this, same with Canada, always lots of 'can't do it this year' types. Especially Ovechkin, every reason to just take the time off after a tough and disappointing series.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I agree, but on paper, the defense looks significantly better than last year, unless there are further injuries. Love having Orlov back there, and Emelin and Zaitsev also improve on the catastrophe on defense last year. The big question is can Znarok coach them well enough to make them effective
Honestly, I have a lot of doubts about Orlov after what he was doing during the NHL playoffs. No Medvedev is an improvement itself though.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Honestly, I have a lot of doubts about Orlov after what he was doing during the NHL playoffs. No Medvedev is an improvement itself though.

I know he made some bad mistakes, but I love his skating, puck handling and blazing shot. He's got a lot to learn, but I like his physical ability.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russia looking very strong. Great atmosphere with the Moscow crowds.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Good game today. Very happy that our boys started scoring more and feeling better on the ice. The toughest matches are still ahead but such matches are a good way to get some positive energy into the team.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Russia looking very strong. Great atmosphere with the Moscow crowds.

Hey dude, thanks for the nice words :). Team Canada is looking very good too, as always. Maybe Russia and Canada will play in the final again, would be epic :).

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hey dude, thanks for the nice words :). Team Canada is looking very good too, as always. Maybe Russia and Canada will play in the final again, would be epic :).

That's the goal, I really want to see it. Especially in Moscow, it has to be Canada vs. Russia. The crowd would be insane. Russia is looking really strong after a shaky start, they're probably the favourites now.

If Canada is playing in Moscow during the knock out rounds, come cheer for us when we aren't playing you :yo:.

Our forwards play a style of game with speed and skill that Russian fans will always appreciate. This isn't like the old Canada that would goon it up. These guys are excellent skaters with top end skill. It's the type of hockey Russian fans have always liked.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Trotz has lost for WSH.One of his big mistakes was his treatment of Orlov.

Yeah Trotz doesn't knowhow to coach offense, he is one dumb coach, fell into the trap that all other wsh coaches fell into - change to dump and chase in the playoffs. Pittsburg brought a better offense because Washington self destructed there own. IMO guy like Galiev looked good down the stretch, should have been developed more but instead they got utter trash in Richards and Winnik who Trotz leaned on for some reason. As long as trash like that are on the ice washington isn't scoring. Look at Pittsburg took a chance on bonino and sheary and it paid off, that should have been Galiev and Orlov for the caps. Orlov was clearly holding his stick too tight you can tell Trotz gave him the talk. I hate Pits. but I can give them credit for bringing a 3 line offense while the Trotz was busy trying to make 3 defensive lines and it killed them. Never used Kuzy once on the 1st PP unit either, that would have been a good way to spark his game/confidence, coach is just clueless when it comes to offense - Trotz only knows his painful systems

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
That's the goal, I really want to see it. Especially in Moscow, it has to be Canada vs. Russia. The crowd would be insane. Russia is looking really strong after a shaky start, they're probably the favourites now.

If Canada is playing in Moscow during the knock out rounds, come cheer for us when we aren't playing you :yo:.

Our forwards play a style of game with speed and skill that Russian fans will always appreciate. This isn't like the old Canada that would goon it up. These guys are excellent skaters with top end skill. It's the type of hockey Russian fans have always liked.

That's true, our fans have been praising your team from the start. Though now we're starting to praise our boys too, but always very carefully :). The game vs. Denmark was well played and showed that Russia can continue improving as the tournament progresses. Plus the offense finally got going.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

Also, we've been quite impressed with Finland and the Czech Republic. The Czechs are playing were cold-blooded, smart hockey right now. They could upset any of the 'favourites' imo.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Also, we've been quite impressed with Finland and the Czech Republic. The Czechs are playing were cold-blooded, smart hockey right now. They could upset any of the 'favourites' imo.

Russia is starting to come together. Plus with the Capitals trio, you guys are probably the favourite.

I've been saying people are sleeping on the Czechs. They've got a good team. The Finns looking strong as well.

There are some very good teams at this tournament, it should be some good hockey.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Russia is starting to come together. Plus with the Capitals trio, you guys are probably the favourite.

I've been saying people are sleeping on the Czechs. They've got a good team. The Finns looking strong as well.

There are some very good teams at this tournament, it should be some good hockey.

I sort of felt bad for Plotnikov though, the guy really wants to finally score, in this match he's hit the post on a great chance. I think he'll score soon, possibly against Switzerland. Seems like a good, hard working player.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

I'm personally not that hyped about it - I mean, of course I like those players, but after the disappointing playoff loss, I don't know in which shape Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Orlov will be in. Plus, the team just started 'clicking', it might mess up the chemistry a bit if they join. Then again, it is Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Orlov who are indeed very good players. They just haven't looked that impressive against Pittsburgh.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I sort of felt bad for Plotnikov though, the guy really wants to finally score, in this match he's hit the post on a great chance. I think he'll score soon, possibly against Switzerland. Seems like a good, hard working player.

Well, he's not even close to being on the level of Kuznetsov and Ovechkin. Those are huge additions up front.

Russia is definitely the favourite with the NHL additions. Plus the energy of the crowd behind them. I hope Canada gets to play Russia, especially in Moscow with our shared history as hockeys two superpowers.

Let's hope it's for Gold and not in the semis :yo:.

Trovatore

May 14, 2012
Moscow
Well, he's not even close to being on the level of Kuznetsov and Ovechkin. Those are huge additions up front.

Russia is definitely the favourite with the NHL additions. Plus the energy of the crowd behind them. I hope Canada gets to play Russia, especially in Moscow with our shared history as hockeys two superpowers.

Couldn't agree more, RUS-CAN gmg in Moscow would be absolutely f****** sick. Besides, should Russia beat Canada in the quartes/semis, I'm afraid they could lose motivation to keep playing at their 100%. Remember Torino-2006? That was dreadful.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I'm personally not that hyped about it - I mean, of course I like those players, but after the disappointing playoff loss, I don't know in which shape Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Orlov will be in. Plus, the team just started 'clicking', it might mess up the chemistry a bit if they join. Then again, it is Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Orlov who are indeed very good players. They just haven't looked that impressive against Pittsburgh.

Malkin and OV didn't look good together in last years gold game ( nothing new ). And Malkin in general ( stealing the puck off a team mate, yadda yadda ) didn't seem to have chemistry with anyone....BUT , as a rule of thumb, team Russia and Euros overal, seem to have no problems with late additions.

Our hockey cultures are different. In Canada, barring injuries, late additions ( with notable exceptions, eg. Crosby last year, although his addition came after the first round of playoffs, so fairly early ) tend to be frowned upon...

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014

It will be in the semis, according to Hoyle...

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
lines tomorrow

Mozyakin-Datsyuk-Sannikov
Panarin-Shipachyov-Dadonov
Lyubimov-Kalinin-Telegin
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Burmistrov

new PP line
Mozyakin/Lyubimov-Datsyuk-Kuznetsov
Ovechkin-Orlov/Belov

Bobrovsky in net