WC: 2016 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
What exactly is it that makes Koskiranta and Wirtanen even questionable?

Unless my intel is not up to speed, I know that Kontiola and H.Pesonen are injured (though Konna may be back).

Immonen, Hytönen and Kapanen are out, due to having said no thanks.

Koskiranta injured yesterday (http://www.iltasanomat.fi/khl/art-2000001133708.html finnish) and Wirtanen has some injuries too(some Jokerit fans have said that). But they might be available but are question still.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Koskiranta injured yesterday (http://www.iltasanomat.fi/khl/art-2000001133708.html finnish) and Wirtanen has some injuries too(some Jokerit fans have said that). But they might be available but are question still.
I see. No word yet how badly they're hurt though.

If they're out for the season, let's hope we can get a pair from overseas. Currently MaG looks more than probable, since he isn't eligible to play in the Calder Cup playoffs and has already said he wants to go.

May have to wait for another 'til first round is done though. Perhaps some of the matchups will be favorable as well. For example, if the playoffs were to start today, one pair would be Wild vs. Hawks. That would release a centre no matter what.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Some FANTASY roster:

MaGranlund - MiGranlund - Pulkkinen
Komarov - Lindgren - Armia
Aho - Haula - Laine
Korpikoski - Lajunen - Pakarinen
Hartikainen

Määttä - Ristolainen
Lepistö - Hietanen
Jokipakka - Jaakola
Nutivaara

Säteri/Metsola/Koskinen/Korpisalo
That would be a good line.

I hope it will be something like this at least.

Komarov - Haula - Rantanen
Korpikoski - MaG - Armia
Pakarinen - Koskiranta - Kuusela
Aho - Lajunen - Jormakka

Last edited:

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Why hasn't Sakari Salminen been in any NT games this season? There has been 10 000 times worse players than him in EHT this season? Does Jalonen hate him or something?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Why hasn't Sakari Salminen been in any NT games this season? There has been 10 000 times worse players than him in EHT this season? Does Jalonen hate him or something?

Salminen has barely played with the national team after the Olympics. Might be that he just doesn't want to.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's not exactly true that Salminen has barely played since the Olympics. In fact, last year he was one of the most regular participants. He featured in two EHT tournaments last season and was even part of the preliminary WHC camp, and not doing bad at all, when he was just abruptly cut - and hasn't featured since. No explanation was ever given.

Given that he hasn't been back this year, the writing on the wall does awkwardly suggest that something happened that he and KJ don't see eye to eye about. What that is, we can only guess.

Though there are still games left before the main event. Perhaps this all has a natural explanation and we'll see him back in a month or two like nothing happened.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I watch Koskiranta play pretty regularly. I don't really know all the Finnish players that well, but that guy doesn't belong in your top 9, he's not good offensively.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
It's not exactly true that Salminen has barely played since the Olympics. In fact, last year he was one of the most regular participants. He featured in two EHT tournaments last season and was even part of the preliminary WHC camp, and not doing bad at all, when he was just abruptly cut - and hasn't featured since. No explanation was ever given.

Given that he hasn't been back this year, the writing on the wall does awkwardly suggest that something happened that he and KJ don't see eye to eye about. What that is, we can only guess.

Though there are still games left before the main event. Perhaps this all has a natural explanation and we'll see him back in a month or two like nothing happened.
Salminen missed couple of high changes to put puck to net, one was on last minutes when Salminen was on breakaway and he somehow missed the change when Russia played with empty net. Dunno how much these shows influences to Jalonen mind about Salminen.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I watch Koskiranta play pretty regularly. I don't really know all the Finnish players that well, but that guy doesn't belong in your top 9, he's not good offensively.
None of our available centre candidates, at least those playing in Europe, exactly belong in our top 9. Which is why we're hoping we'll get at least a couple from overseas.

But if we'll have to make do with what we've got, Koskiranta, with all his faults, looks like one of the better choices.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Salminen missed couple of high changes to put puck to net, one was on last minutes when Salminen was on breakaway and he somehow missed the change when Russia played with empty net. Dunno how much these shows influences to Jalonen mind about Salminen.
What I saw of him was mostly positive, so if an occasional flub like that make KJ abruptly cut him in the middle of the camp, he is more petty than I've thought.

And he also did NOT miss chances, given how he had four goals in seven games.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
What I saw of him was mostly positive, so if an occasional flub like that make KJ abruptly cut him in the middle of the camp, he is more petty than I've thought.

And he also did NOT miss chances, given how he had four goals in seven games.

I talked about one game(the last one, april 16th). i had to said that on the post but its doesnt get from my head to internet, sorry. But yeah, he was one of best players on all EHT-games on last season.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I talked about one game(the last one, april 16th). i had to said that on the post but its doesnt get from my head to internet, sorry. But yeah, he was one of best players on all EHT-games on last season.
Regardless, if that's all it takes to nullify everything he'd done before in KJ's mind, it's pretty damn petty.

Not that we'd have to wonder why we haven't seen him since.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
They're eligible. Whether they'd be assets to the team or not, is however still something to be determined.

Laine played a couple of Euro Hockey Tour games last month. While he didn't look out of place, neither did he look like an impact player.

---

In other news, MaG said to Yle this morning that he wants to play in these, if (and when) the Nucks don't make the playoffs. So that should bring some relief to the centre department.

And since he wants to go despite his contract ending, it gives me good vibes about Armia as well. In fact, given they were constantly together with the U20, we'd have 2/3 of a line right there.

Should the Wild not advance past first round and Haula wants to go for not being selected to the World Cup yet, here's how things could shape up...

Komarov - Haula - Rantanen
Korpikoski - MaG - Armia
Aho - Koskiranta - Kuusela
Pakarinen - T.Sallinen - Hartikainen

One nice lineup indeed, mr. FiLe. No surprise there. If you ain't on the payroll of Hockey Finland already I think you should be the next addition there.

-- Or then NOT. Rather, do the "grass root" coaching work with the junior players and don't waste your coaching prowess and passion for the game in the dim cabinets of power. :D

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I see this tournament as a possibility for several younger players to show their level on international play. We really need to see which of these players could be useful in the World Cup as there are 3 spots for defencemen and 3 spots for forwards.

All of these players should be in the team to show what kind of impact they can bring on the game:

-Rantanen
-Aho
-Pulju
-Laine
-Armia
-MaGranlund
-Pulkkinen

-Pokka
-Lindbohm
-Honka
-Juolevi

I'd put most of the focus on the forwards, because we need the finishing ability but the question is can these players be defensively reliable and play all-around game on WC-level. This would be extraordinary test for them.

I admit I did not check the availability of these young players so some of them won't be able to participate of they are in the play-offs/injured.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's actually quite possible that all of those forwards are available.

However, curiously, at the same time it looks likely that all of those d-men are not.

Realistically, I don't however expect all of them to make it, especially if they are all available - they will be competing for same roles. I wouldn't be complaining if they all made it, though.

And technically there're only two forward and defence slots available for the World Cup roster, since I would be quite surprised if one of each would not go to Haula and Jokipakka. Either of them have nothing left to prove.

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
I see this tournament as a possibility for several younger players to show their level on international play. We really need to see which of these players could be useful in the World Cup as there are 3 spots for defencemen and 3 spots for forwards.

All of these players should be in the team to show what kind of impact they can bring on the game:

-Rantanen
-Aho
-Pulju
-Laine
-Armia
-MaGranlund
-Pulkkinen

-Pokka
-Lindbohm
-Honka
-Juolevi

I'd put most of the focus on the forwards, because we need the finishing ability but the question is can these players be defensively reliable and play all-around game on WC-level. This would be extraordinary test for them.

I admit I did not check the availability of these young players so some of them won't be able to participate of they are in the play-offs/injured.

Definetly, when Finland finally gets some high-end talent they gotta make use of it.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Check the first post, you can see most anwers there, i just updated it expect NHL and AHL-standing situations, i will do it later, now have to watch Liiga- games.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Check the first post, you can see most anwers there, i just updated it expect NHL and AHL-standing situations, i will do it later, now have to watch Liiga- games.
Technically there is little reason keeping a minute detail, since these things seem to change by the week. For example, when this thread was opened, the Red Wings were 2nd in their division. Now, they're barely hanging onto a wild card.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Is Ma.Granlund really that impressive?
He is, when you compare it to the other probable centre names available to us. Niemi, Lindgren, Nättinen...

Of course, it's also possible to have the Minny trio + Kontiola, and MaG becomes far less impressive, but at this moment, he's the most notable name we can bet on to be there.

Well, unless you were referring as a World Cup candidate, then the answer is... no, not by a long shot. We have at least 7 or 8 centres who overtake him in pecking order.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He is, when you compare it to the other probable centre names available to us. Niemi, Lindgren, Nättinen...

Of course, it's also possible to have the Minny trio + Kontiola, and MaG becomes far less impressive, but at this moment, he's the most notable name we can bet on to be there.

Well, unless you were referring as a World Cup candidate, then the answer is... no, not by a long shot. We have at least 7 or 8 centres who overtake him in pecking order.

This thread is about the world champs, so that's what I am talking about. On the small ice it seems he has found a bad limbo spot where he doesn't do enough on offense nor defense because he tries to be a two-way player whilst his instincts for it don't seem to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad