WC: 2016 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
He never wants to play in world championships, but he would be a welcome addition for the team.
:facepalm: More like he's never been available. To call him another Kipper is unfounded.

By the looks of things, he's not gonna be this year either. And neither will be a number of other players.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Would like to see Nutivaara make the team. How do u guys see his chanses?
I wouldn't say he's among the frontrunners, but there's no need to think of an overly long list of conditionals before he'd become a possibility.

One such thing is Kärpät's playoff success, however. Because he's the kind of player who would be battling for those 2-3 uncertain spots if all the usual suspects are there, he should be doing that under Jalonen's eyes instead of separate environment. That will slim his chances, unless all the other fringe options in the NT camp are truly abysmal.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
I wouldn't say he's among the frontrunners, but there's no need to think of an overly long list of conditionals before he'd become a possibility.

One such thing is Kärpät's playoff success, however. Because he's the kind of player who would be battling for those 2-3 uncertain spots if all the usual suspects are there, he should be doing that under Jalonen's eyes instead of separate environment. That will slim his chances, unless all the other fringe options in the NT camp are truly abysmal.

Ok thanks for the response i think if he makes it he would surprise many people. I see him as potential Lindell 2.0 despite being little older.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Ok thanks for the response i think if he makes it he would surprise many people. I see him as potential Lindell 2.0 despite being little older.
He's actually exactly the same age as Lindell. Two weeks younger, if we want to be on point. However, I don't really see him fully comparable to Lindell - the offensive potential, while decent, is quite not up there. But he seems like a solid all-around d-man, and unless we suddenly become Sweden with all the NHL d-men, I think we'll see him dress for a WHC tournament sometime in the future. If not this year yet, sometime during the next 2-3 years.

Luckily Osala is one of those pieces who are easily replaceable. Joensuu and Hartikainen pop to mind, for starters.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Jormakka and Niko Kapanen are maybe too out from speculations due to injuries, Ohtamaa is question too?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Jormakka and Niko Kapanen are maybe too out from speculations due to injuries, Ohtamaa is question too?
Kapanen has retired from NT duty, so he's been a no go even if healthy for a couple of years now.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Kapanen has retired from NT duty, so he's been a no go even if healthy for a couple of years now.
Yeah he said something like that, i wasn't sure that was it total end or was it cause coaches or just exact year(s). But okay, thanks.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Some FANTASY roster:

MaGranlund - MiGranlund - Pulkkinen
Komarov - Lindgren - Armia
Aho - Haula - Laine
Korpikoski - Lajunen - Pakarinen
Hartikainen

Määttä - Ristolainen
Lepistö - Hietanen
Jokipakka - Jaakola
Nutivaara

Säteri/Metsola/Koskinen/Korpisalo

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
How 'bout Koskiranta?

Also, four goalies is pretty unlikely, given it's even against the rules an'all.

Yeah Koskiranta also another option, the three of em are pretty even in my papers tho Lindgren is behind in Two-way game he got more offensive upside. Also might be better to take Kuusela over Laine but cause its a fantasy roster i went with the most interesting player.

And about the goalie thing i ment three of them :).
Would like to see Koskinen in some practice games too. Last time i think he was pretty good.

EDIT: Would really love to see that Aho - Haula - Laine line. Some potential magic there.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah Koskiranta also another option, the three of em are pretty even in my papers tho Lindgren is behind in Two-way game he got more offensive upside. Also might be better to take Kuusela over Laine but cause its a fantasy roster i went with the most interesting player.
Koskiranta is a bit more than an "option". He's currently #3 in our euro depth chart behind Kontiola and Immonen, and unless we get a minimum of two centers from overseas, a lock to make this team.

And let's be clear that this is actually more of an indication of rather mediocre depth than Koskiranta being all that hot of a name. But he's a notch above Lindgren and T.Sallinen regardless.

JA

Will Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujärvi be eligible to play in this tournament? Would Team Finland consider adding them to their roster?

It would be nice to see them again on the international stage before the NHL Draft in June.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Will Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujärvi be eligible to play in this tournament? Would Team Finland consider adding them to their roster?
They're eligible. Whether they'd be assets to the team or not, is however still something to be determined.

Laine played a couple of Euro Hockey Tour games last month. While he didn't look out of place, neither did he look like an impact player.

---

In other news, MaG said to Yle this morning that he wants to play in these, if (and when) the Nucks don't make the playoffs. So that should bring some relief to the centre department.

And since he wants to go despite his contract ending, it gives me good vibes about Armia as well. In fact, given they were constantly together with the U20, we'd have 2/3 of a line right there.

Should the Wild not advance past first round and Haula wants to go for not being selected to the World Cup yet, here's how things could shape up...

Komarov - Haula - Rantanen
Korpikoski - MaG - Armia
Aho - Koskiranta - Kuusela
Pakarinen - T.Sallinen - Hartikainen

Last edited:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Komarov-Haula-Aho
Korpikoski-Mag-Armia
Pakarinen-Koskiranta-Joensuu
Kontiola-Aaltonen-Laine

Komarov - Haula - Kemppainen
Korpikoski- MaG - Armia
Pakarinen - Koskiranta - Joensuu
Tuomo Ruutu - Olli Jokinen - Aho/Selänne

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Komarov - Haula - Rantanen
Korpikoski - MaG - Armia
Aho - Koskiranta - Kuusela
Pakarinen - T.Sallinen - Hartikainen

That seems like a pretty fun line up. Koskiranta really puzzles me though. I think it was last year when he said no to playing national team games. So I'm hoping he doesn't do that again and that he would come this year.

I really want to see MaG, Armia, Aho, Rantanen and maybe Laine as well in this year's tournament.

Tuomo Ruutu - Olli Jokinen - Aho

Tuomo Ruutu - Olli Jokinen - Selänne

Selänne could be fired up after one year's break as well :).

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
That seems like a pretty fun line up. Koskiranta really puzzles me though. I think it was last year when he said no to playing national team games. So I'm hoping he doesn't do that again and that he would come this year.

I really want to see MaG, Armia, Aho, Rantanen and maybe Laine as well in this year's tournament.

Tuomo Ruutu - Olli Jokinen - Selänne

Selänne could be fired up after one year's break as well :).

I think we should invite him for this tournament. Maybe Rask will be available if he hears Teemu will be available one more time.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't know what his objections were last year to the WHC, but I doubt he'll make it a habit, since he does attend the EHT. Both this year and last.

So it'd be pretty strange if he figured that the preliminary courses are kosher, but did not care about the main event.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

It would be nice to see them again on the international stage before the NHL Draft in June.

Probably not.
If / when Kärpät and Tappara gets eliminated early ( before semifinals or finals) in FEL playoffs i would like to see Laine and Puljujärvi in U18 WJC's.
That's their last chance to win gold there last year ( 2015) it was really close but USA tied the game 12 minutes before end of 3rd period.
And they win ( USA) 2-1 in overtime .

When Finland has few players for U20 WJC gold medal team in men's worlds those guys will be Aho and Rantanen and perhaps Aleksi Saarela.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Some update about our center situation in Europe:
These are out or they condition is question: Kontiola, Koskiranta, Immonen, Kapanen, Wirtanen, Hytönen, H.Pesonen.

Thinkable centers from Europe: Filppula, Lindgren, T.Sallinen, J.Sallinen, Lajunen, Nättinen, Saarela, Niemi, M.Aaltonen...

Some wingers who can play center from Europe: Hartikainen, Aho.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
These are out or they condition is question: Kontiola, Koskiranta, Immonen, Kapanen, Wirtanen, Hytönen, H.Pesonen.
What exactly is it that makes Koskiranta and Wirtanen even questionable?

Unless my intel is not up to speed, I know that Kontiola and H.Pesonen are injured (though Konna may be back).

Immonen, Hytönen and Kapanen are out, due to having said no thanks.

A word to the wise: HFBoards speculation about some players' possible motivation issues is exactly that, HFBoards speculation. For example, last year many felt Florida would not let Barkov go, because he was supposedly so injury prone. (Sasha himself actually shot this down in an interview: "When they heard I've been asked to go, they said good luck and have fun.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad