WC: 2016 Team Canada Pt. II

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
Doughty would be perfect for what we need. Long shot that he comes I know, but anyone think there's a chance? Chance for the Triple Gold like what Crosby went for. No idea if it matters to him but it might.

Doughty already declined invite

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Doughty would be perfect for what we need. Long shot that he comes I know, but anyone think there's a chance? Chance for the Triple Gold like what Crosby went for. No idea if it matters to him but it might.

There is no indication that Crosby went for that reason. If Doughty wanted to go for that ridiculous "honour" he easily could have gone last year when the Kings didn't even make the playoffs.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Doughty already declined invite

Damn didn't realize that. Thanks for the update.

There is no indication that Crosby went for that reason. If Doughty wanted to go for that ridiculous "honour" he easily could have gone last year when the Kings didn't even make the playoffs.

It was wishful thinking on my part, we just need some more high quality Dmen. Ekblad helps, we still need one more.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think they could have beat Sweden in Sochi with the team they had in 2015.

Funny I just rewatched the Sochi final between Canada and Sweden the other day. And yeah I think our 2015 WC team would have won gold there too.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Damn didn't realize that. Thanks for the update.

It was wishful thinking on my part, we just need some more high quality Dmen. Ekblad helps, we still need one more.

Doughty could very well be our new Jerome Iginla. miss or make early playoff exits for 10 years in a row and just say, nah, don't bother me with these B-level tournaments. Call me only when the A-Team is playing at an important tournament.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Doughty could very well be our new Jerome Iginla. miss or make early playoff exits for 10 years in a row and just say, nah, don't bother me with these B-level tournaments. Call me only when the A-Team is playing at an important tournament.

And Doughty to McDavid, I would have finally had you convinced on the over/under :yo:

Doughty has played a lot of hockey lately, but I would have loved to see him as our first pairing Dman.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
And Doughty to McDavid, I would have finally had you convinced on the over/under :yo:

Doughty has played a lot of hockey lately, but I would have loved to see him as our first pairing Dman.

If we get a Doughty level A-Team D-man there or 2, then for sure I'll take the over. In fact, I'd take the over on 25 pts.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
How do you feel about the Canadian players who do not want to go to the World Championships?
Russian hate these players.
For examplein our offered Markov deny Russian citizenship for refusing to play for the country

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If we get a Doughty level A-Team D-man there or 2, then for sure I'll take the over. In fact, I'd take the over on 25 pts.

Same.

But like the poster above said Doughty declined, any verification that you know of? I did a quick search and couldn't see anything. Doughty + Pietro, I'm taking that over too.

People who haven't seen 97 as much as we have will be in for an absolute treat. I think the Russian fans will be in awe and appreciate McDavids skill as much as any other country would. I'm really excited for this tournament.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
How do you feel about the Canadian players who do not want to go to the World Championships?
For examplein our offered Markov deny Russian citizenship for refusing to play for the country

I'd rather all available players did go, but I don't get too upset if they decline, especially if it's an A-squad superstar like Doughty, Crosby, Toews, etc. Their participation is a welcome bonus (like Crosby last year), but not something I demand.

I've always viewed the WHC has an opportunity for Canadian players to gain experience at the international level, so even if we end up with a team of youngsters I'm happy.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Same.

But like the poster above said Doughty declined, any verification that you know of? I did a quick search and couldn't see anything. Doughty + Pietro, I'm taking that over too.

People who haven't seen 97 as much as we have will be in for an absolute treat. I think the Russian fans will be in awe and appreciate McDavids skill as much as any other country would. I'm really excited for this tournament.

Let's wait for who we actually get. The best case scenario would be one of Pietrangelo/Seabrook, plus Ekblad or Muzzin or both.

I think there's many europeans that actually don't really get just how good McDavid already is. In my opinion, his offensive skillset is almost on the level of Crosby, and he's just 19. On top of that, he's solid defensively, much more than you would expect from a rookie. His speed is amazing, and his skills are already TOP3 in the NHL with Crosby and Kane imo.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Let's wait for who we actually get. The best case scenario would be one of Pietrangelo/Seabrook, plus Ekblad or Muzzin or both.

I think there's many europeans that actually don't really get just how good McDavid already is
. In my opinion, his offensive skillset is almost on the level of Crosby, and he's just 19. On top of that, he's solid defensively, much more than you would expect from a rookie. His speed is amazing, and his skills are already TOP3 in the NHL with Crosby and Kane imo.

He's the best player I've ever seen at the same age. No disrespect to Crosby at all, McDavid is just unlike anyone I've ever seen. I thought this before my team drafted him. He confirmed each game he played in the NHL, he's just special.

The Euros who haven't seen 97 play are going to be in absolute awe at his speed on the big ice. He'll lead the tournament in scoring and be the MVP.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

It's acceptable if they are established A team players, in their latter 20s (or older) or have shown up multiple times before. The tournament just isn't a big deal.

Could be. He's earned a pass with his play in 2010 and 2014.

There's quite a bit of optimism for McDavid in this thread. Scoring 20+ points would give McDavid one of the best performances in the history of this tournament.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
Same.

https://twitter.com/elliottteaford/status/724350344612847616

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
If Chicago loses, would Toews pass up an opportunity to join the exclusive double quadruple Gold club? Or is it the quadruple double Gold club?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
There's quite a bit of optimism for McDavid in this thread. Scoring 20+ points would give McDavid one of the best performances in the history of this tournament.

As there should be. He could easily have 15 points alone against Hungary, France, Belarus, and Germany.

I can't wait to see 97 on the big ice, he's going to open some eyes for people who haven't seen him play often/at all.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I'm sure after all his past success in Russia, Jonathan Toews will show up to wrest control of the A-teams captaincy away from Crosby. :sarcasm:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
candidates

Roberto Luongo Corey Crawford

Rick Nash Derick Brassard Milan Lucic
Wayne Simmonds Claude Giroux Jeff Carter
Riley Smith Brayden Schenn Tyler Tofolli
Jonathan Huberdeau Jonatan Towes

Dan Girardi Kevin Klein
Drew Doughty Jake Muzzin
Marc Staal Aaron Ekblad
Danckan Keith Brent Seabrook
Shea Weber

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It's acceptable if they are established A team players, in their latter 20s (or older) or have shown up multiple times before. The tournament just isn't a big deal.

Could be. He's earned a pass with his play in 2010 and 2014.

depending on the final roster and some solid reinforcements, playing the max number of games, 20+ pts is well within reach. For now I'm taking the under just because the team, as it is currently, won't get beyond the 1/4 final. If I make any bet on this tournament, over/under 20 pts for McDavid is the one I'm making. I guess we'll know what the final roster will look like in a few days.

The other factor is, once there's a rout underway against the bottom-feeders and with more than half a game left to play, McDavid, with his 3 pts already, gets his TOI scaled back. So, there's that aspect as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad