2016 Tank Thread - Babcock Conducting

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
You know the individual teams have some input on creating their schedule.

I know some here have noticed that for the first time in like forever we are actually 2/3/4 games behind the league pace, when we have been typically the exact opposite.

Any chance that this was part of our game plan?

More games played in the 2nd half of the season , where we have shown a tendency to horribly collapse , more games played near or after the TD.

or it could be dumb luck.

Personally , I want to believe that it was part of the plan , I want to believe our strategy is that deep cut.

Our games in hand are a blessing in my eyes.

Very interesting, I've never thought about this.

It does seem like a solid strategy if we intended to be sellers at the deadline before the schedule was even made. More games after the deadline with a worse roster would be better for tanking.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Very interesting, I've never thought about this.

It does seem like a solid strategy if we intended to be sellers at the deadline before the schedule was even made. More games after the deadline with a worse roster would be better for tanking.

hmmmm

that's a conspiracy theory if I've ever heard it - but it's true. and it's not even re: the collapse, i think it's just common sense, at a certain point the Leafs just as how they were would have hit a wall, simply due to not being good enough.

more games at the end + this wall + most of the teams gunning for a playoff race...struggle to keep up.

but yeah.. it would be nice to look at our 30th overall and not see "game 52" but rather "game 55"

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Which vets are worth keeping to help with the influx of young players coming? (starting as early as this trade deadline) I think Komarov has cooled off to a point where he might be worth keeping over trading. IF he does end up getting traded, who else on the team could help enforce Babcock's approach? Was thinking maybe Winnik but he hasn't had the best showing this season.

Or do the Leafs pick up some cheap vets in the off season? Helm is a UFA and I'm pretty sure Babcock loves him and what he brings to the bottom 6. Gaustad is also a UFA but we got a young Gaustad in Gauthier. Brad Richards could be a temp option in the top 6 for a year although not sure how well he got a long with Babcock.

Limi we just finished trading 1 nhl vet for 3 and all with 1 year left under contract

Maybe Babs finds some of that in the Ottawa 3 , from what I hear Michalek is a strong candidate.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Limi we just finished trading 1 nhl vet for 3 and all with 1 year left under contract

Maybe Babs finds some of that in the Ottawa 3 , from what I hear Michalek is a strong candidate.

That's true, kind of threw them out without thinking. Michalek I thought would be a strong candidate to pawn off on a team next trade deadline. I don't think Greening will provide much but who really knows.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
hmmmm

that's a conspiracy theory if I've ever heard it - but it's true. and it's not even re: the collapse, i think it's just common sense, at a certain point the Leafs just as how they were would have hit a wall, simply due to not being good enough.

more games at the end + this wall + most of the teams gunning for a playoff race...struggle to keep up.

but yeah.. it would be nice to look at our 30th overall and not see "game 52" but rather "game 55"

Oh of course DJ, it would be much better to see the 30th/55

but I guess for me , as a practical matter , if I ask myself , "when would I want those 3 games played" , my vote goes to latter season/near or post TD.

Just from a purely strategic point of view.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That's true, kind of threw them out without thinking. Michalek I thought would be a strong candidate to pawn off on a team next trade deadline. I don't think Greening will provide much but who really knows.

Greening, hrmm well, 4th line , 13th forward press boxer, big enough boy to be able to play with some heavy/leaning game.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
hmmmm

Don't worry, I believe our next 4 are against Vancouver, Chicago, NYR, and Philly.

We will be 30th after game 56 at least :)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Don't worry, I believe our next 4 are against Vancouver, Chicago, NYR, and Philly.

We will be 30th after game 56 at least :)

Leafs return home after Chicago - it's possible Bozak, Matthias, and Lupul return to the line up (with Kadri and maybe Leivo) .. So the team will be a bit better and may pull off a win here. Still unlikely, but it's not a guaranteed loss right now.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Leafs return home after Chicago - it's possible Bozak, Matthias, and Lupul return to the line up (with Kadri and maybe Leivo) .. So the team will be a bit better and may pull off a win here. Still unlikely, but it's not a guaranteed loss right now.

Think Matthias, Bozak and Lupul were just going to miss the road trip. Think you're right that they'll all be back in time for NYR. (Still predicting a loss :laugh:)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Think Matthias, Bozak and Lupul were just going to miss the road trip. Think you're right that they'll all be back in time for NYR. (Still predicting a loss :laugh:)

Whatever, even with those guys in the lineup we still had the least amount of wins in the NHL. None of those guys really matter. None of them are game changers. We'll be a bit better, but not really by much.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Well one thing with the Oils that I did not see coming, is Hall/Dreas line drying up once McD came back, I expected the exact opposite

I don't see why you wouldn't, it really has nothing to do with McDavid a Rookie basically that Draisaitl is isn't going to keep up his pace all season and will hit rough patches just like 99% of rookie's do. he was never going to score at a PPG pace like he was doing after his first 20 or so games. his struggles have probably directly affected Halls output aswell since there playing together.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Posted this in the main board but man Babs is a stud

This garbage Leafs team is:

14th in Possession
3rd in Corsi per 60

11th in Scoring chances for/against at +54
2nd in scoring chances for/against per 60 at 57.5

8th in high danger scoring chances for/against at +42
2nd in high danger scoring chances for/against per 60 at 23.3

Babcock is a stud, if he can do this with what's available imagine this team when the talent comes...

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

but we do have the whole

1rst game back after a long road trip thingy against the rags.

there are some league wide analysis on that topic and they don't bode well for the home team.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't see why you wouldn't, it really has nothing to do with McDavid a Rookie basically that Draisaitl is isn't going to keep up his pace all season and will hit rough patches just like 99% of rookie's do. he was never going to score at a PPG pace like he was doing after his first 20 or so games. his struggles have probably directly affected Halls output aswell since there playing together.

well Demo , it really had to do with match ups and forward depth.

I assumed teams would be focusing on mcD s line now and allow the hall/dreas line a easier path to add some offence.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Who care about games in hand - if we lose out the rest, we finish with the best % in the Lotto. You can do it Leafs!

If Kadri is injured and misses the Saturday game then I feel like the Sedins will destroy us.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agree - usually tough games against Vancouver. If we get through that one, we could get on a roll; with Chi and NYR next. Here is hoping teams like CLB and EDM continue the play.

Yeah

Buffalo against MTL tonight - it's 50/50

Edmonton at Winnipeg on Saturday, hoping 3 point game with Edmonton winning.

Columbus was really clutch coming from behind last night and winning in the shoot out.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

14th in Possession
3rd in Corsi per 60

Babcock is a stud, if he can do this with what's available imagine this team when the talent comes...

Those are nice numbers. One question, does it count as a high danger scoring chance when one of our players has the chance?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

14th in Possession
3rd in Corsi per 60

That is pretty amazing.

We suck because we have no finishers and bad goaltending. Once we improve on a few things (and it'll probably take a few years) Babcock will really start to get recognized as an excellent coach again.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
That is pretty amazing.

We suck because we have no finishers and bad goaltending. Once we improve on a few things (and it'll probably take a few years) Babcock will really start to get recognized as an excellent coach again.

Our goaltending is 15th in the league. After October it's top 10. It's not one of the reasons we suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad