2016 Rio Olympics | CYCLING | August 6th thru August 21st

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
GB-Canada
USA-Australia
going for medals on Saturday in women's team pursuit

Australia-Canada will probably battle it out for bronze if logic is respected and they lose their first round. They were half a second apart in the qualifying, should make it mighty interesting!

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Hey, so USA won a gold medal in the women's time trials this morning.

You know what the best part of watching Kristin Armstrong winning was? After she crossed the line she was completely oblivious she did it. She had to be told she won by the officials then she broke down in tears and hugged her little toddler son. Very moving. :)

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
The British are nearly unbeatable in the cycling events. Holy hell have they ever been dominant in the sport the past few Olympics. The ancestral part of me is loving it. What sort of program do they have across the pond that manages to produce these cyclists?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The British are nearly unbeatable in the cycling events. Holy hell have they ever been dominant in the sport the past few Olympics. The ancestral part of me is loving it. What sort of program do they have across the pond that manages to produce these cyclists?

Financial support.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
OT: Sir Chris Hoy must be absolutely loving life. Dominates Olympics, knighted, then decides to start racing cars and gets to drive at the 24hrs of Le Mans.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

There was a brief piece on the TV for it a few days ago about how we're so good. It is mostly financial support. For this Olympics it got £30m in funding and they said that they only buy the best. If it doesn't work, they don't want it. Only Rowing gets more funding.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Cycling has also got massive in the UK in the last 10 years - way more people on the roads. All the bike sheds at work are overflowing in the summer. I live in a rural part of the country, quite sparsely populated and you see dozens of club cyclists out every Sunday morning. Never used to be the case.

So bigger talent pool, lots of funding - they also got ahead of everyone else on the sports science curve. Chris Boardman does a lot of the cycling commentary in the UK and he is so into the science of the sport (no surprise as he won his medals largely because he was the first guy to apply a scientific approach to cycling)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Financial support.

This.

Cycling has also got massive in the UK in the last 10 years - way more people on the roads. All the bike sheds at work are overflowing in the summer. I live in a rural part of the country, quite sparsely populated and you see dozens of club cyclists out every Sunday morning. Never used to be the case.

So bigger talent pool, lots of funding - they also got ahead of everyone else on the sports science curve. Chris Boardman does a lot of the cycling commentary in the UK and he is so into the science of the sport (no surprise as he won his medals largely because he was the first guy to apply a scientific approach to cycling)

The only thing that the "science" approach of things is doing to cycling is ruining it (Road cycling I talk about). And I don't talk about the materials used, I'm talking about the riding approach that SKY came and applied... and they're slowly transforming cyclists into robots that only know to look at their watts machine and ride according the numbers they see on the little screen. /rant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad